• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Music During a round

I mostly play courses in town, so I'm going to hear cars and mowers and people talking and maybe band practice while I play. So music isn't a big deal.

Except that I hate your typical disc golfer's playlist.

I wear headphones sometimes, but I don't listen to music. It is just to deter people from talking my head off while I try to enjoy disc golf.

At a two day B-tier this past weekend, at one portion of the park a group of park patrons where playing 80 and 90's rap music including doing the butt. And on the completely other side of the park there was a group of 50+ people singing bluegrass.

Very nice of the Tds to go the extra mile and provide music on the course. :)

No matter how well you plan a tournament the parks sometimes throw the TDs a curve ball.

I mostly play courses in town, so I'm going to hear cars and mowers and people talking and maybe band practice while I play. So music isn't a big deal.

Except that I hate your typical disc golfer's playlist.

I wear headphones sometimes, but I don't listen to music. It is just to deter people from talking my head off while I try to enjoy disc golf.

Ha my dad got an AM radio and headphones years ago for the jobsite, so he didn't have to listen to the guy yammer beside him.... He said he only had to listen to the radio for a week, then he just turned it off and left the headphones on and enjoyed the silence.

Earlier this year I walked past three rough looking young people on a tee, who were listening to Chubby Checker's "The Twist" at high volume.

I'm still a bit confused by that one, in a good way.

All of the responses I have gotten were what I expected. I never play my speaker if others don't want it.

When playing in a group, forcing people to ask you not to play if they don't want it played is putting them on the spot and is still being inconsiderate. A better way to approach this, from a consideration of others standpoint, is to only play music aloud if you are asked to do so by all the members of the group. Because, if you don't get a unanimous request to play the music, there's a really good chance that that not everyone really wants you to play music.

When playing in a group, forcing people to ask you not to play if they don't want it played is putting them on the spot and is still being inconsiderate. A better way to approach this, from a consideration of others standpoint, is to only play music aloud if you are asked to do so by all the members of the group. Because, if you don't get a unanimous request to play the music, there's a really good chance that that not everyone really wants you to play music.

Well.....this is a pretty slippery slope. If I am on a card of four and ask my buddy Axl to play some tunes....then the other two guys are being put on the spot and I am being inconsiderate. Soooooo.....if all three guy ask Axl to play some tunes.....all at the exact same time....crap, now the Axl is on the spot.....

If you don't want music, just politely decline. Usually a touch of self deprecating humor softens the blow. "Nah, let's just listen to nature...besides, I suck enough without Neil Diamond."

Putting someone on the spot implies a difficult decision. Saying you don't want to listen to music isn't a difficult decision. The rules and norms are what they are - music isn't supposed to be played during competitive rounds unless everyone wants it (and, obviously, never during sanctioned or more high-stakes rounds). You can't be terrified of the off-chance that someone is going to be a crybaby over music. You should be completely comfortable saying no, because most people are going to be cool with you saying no.

I can reluctantly accept music during a casual round if the rest of the group is okay with it. But during a money round? Absolutely not.

Typically, I ask the other players before we even get on the course if they want music. Last time I played I didn't even want to listen to music. During tournament play or tag play I never play music.

While playing solo I do a lot of headphones listening.

Really, I was curious to find out the attitude about speakers on the course. Been interesting.

At a two day B-tier this past weekend, at one portion of the park a group of park patrons where playing 80 and 90's rap music including doing the butt. And on the completely other side of the park there was a group of 50+ people singing bluegrass.

Da Butt? Dat's go-go. :p But rap and bluegrass sounds like a fun park. Which one?

I'm pretty good at tuning out noise so I don't care whether people play music or not. Occasionally they'll even play something I like.

But for solo rounds, I prefer to enjoy the sounds of nature (at least when a rap-bluegrass mash-up is not available). :D

Casual play is one thing. Sanctioned play is another. I haven't seen any post with this info yet...so, here it is.

PDGA Competion Manual
Section 3 - Player Conduct
3.01 - General
Item C...
Players are not permitted to have audible mobile phones or audible pagers on the course during any competitive round. In addition, personal music players and other devices must be used exclusively with personal headphones and the volume must be kept at a level so as not to be heard by other players, prevent the player from effectively interacting with his group during scorekeeping tasks, or provide a safety hazard for the player by not hearing "Fore!" calls from other players or warning blasts by the Tournament Director. Failure to interact fully with your playing group due to personal music players and other devices is considered a courtesy violation subject to courtesy violation rules and penalties.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have played on cards where players had ear buds in both ears and couldn't hear what others were saying.
I've played on cards where players had one ear bud in but still couldn't hear what others were saying.
I've played in sanctioned tournaments/leagues, before I knew the above rule, where someone on another card was playing music and caught up to our group - but was polite about turning off the music while we were throwing.

We can't control what people in a park or nearby homes are doing....but, I've never met a disc golfer who wasn't respectful when I asked them to turn down their music or use ear buds.

One 'weird' thing about the above rule that I left out....there's no penalty for violating the rule (ie. having an audible mobile phone or pager; or not using personal headphones for music)....the penalty is for "failure to interact fully with your playing group". So if you play music on a speaker....there's no penalty...but if you don't interact with your group, then it's a courtesy violation. By my reading....if someone tells you that you need to use headphone/ear buds during a tournament...you can decide not to and there's no penalty. But, if you don't pay attention to your group....that is the part you get penalized for.

One 'weird' thing about the above rule that I left out....there's no penalty for violating the rule (ie. having an audible mobile phone or pager; or not using personal headphones for music)....the penalty is for "failure to interact fully with your playing group". So if you play music on a speaker....there's no penalty...but if you don't interact with your group, then it's a courtesy violation. By my reading....if someone tells you that you need to use headphone/ear buds during a tournament...you can decide not to and there's no penalty. But, if you don't pay attention to your group....that is the part you get penalized for.

It seems like failure to adhere to this rule could be a courtesy violation under 812.

Well.....this is a pretty slippery slope.

Not really. "Slippery slopes" are, for the most part, a simply an application of reductio ad absurdum.

For example:

If I am on a card of four and ask my buddy Axl to play some tunes....then the other two guys are being put on the spot and I am being inconsiderate. Soooooo.....if all three guy ask Axl to play some tunes.....all at the exact same time....crap, now the Axl is on the spot.....

You should let us all know when this happens.

If you don't want music, just politely decline. Usually a touch of self deprecating humor softens the blow. "Nah, let's just listen to nature...besides, I suck enough without Neil Diamond."

This is a pretty classic approach used by anyone who insists on being "only a little" inconsiderate, "well, if they didn't want me farting in their general direction, they should have said something." So if anyone is doesn't want to listen to music but doesn't want to seem like the bad guy who is keeping someone esle from enjoying music during their round (which is, to some extent, showing the consideration that they weren't afforded), then it's actually their fault, and not the one playing the music? The fact that you recognize that the response might deliver a "blow" undermines your apparent assertion to the contrary.

Da Butt? Dat's go-go. :p But rap and bluegrass sounds like a fun park. Which one?

I'm pretty good at tuning out noise so I don't care whether people play music or not. Occasionally they'll even play something I like.

But for solo rounds, I prefer to enjoy the sounds of nature (at least when a rap-bluegrass mash-up is not available). :D

Ok you pass the native Washington DC test. :) They where playing Bobby Brown and a bunch of other songs that made me feel like I was back in high school.

It was at Franklin Park. The gogo/rap was at the pavilion by hole #5 and the bluegrass was over at the pavilion between holes #9 and #10.

Luckily it was spread out enough that at least the music did not clash. It was either one or another. And the slackers where not awake for the first round.

Not really. "Slippery slopes" are, for the most part, a simply an application of reductio ad absurdum.

For example:

You should let us all know when this happens.

This is a pretty classic approach used by anyone who insists on being "only a little" inconsiderate, "well, if they didn't want me farting in their general direction, they should have said something." So if anyone is doesn't want to listen to music but doesn't want to seem like the bad guy who is keeping someone esle from enjoying music during their round (which is, to some extent, showing the consideration that they weren't afforded), then it's actually their fault, and not the one playing the music? The fact that you recognize that the response might deliver a "blow" undermines your apparent assertion to the contrary.

Lol....sorry, man. I was only making fun of your absurd statement. Pointing out your problem, leaves no room for solution. All scenarios are inconsiderate, when given. courtesy is labeled as inconsiderate.

Get a grip. Simple questions are not an affront to anyone's sensibilities.

"Hey man, are you out, or am I?"

"How dare you be so inconsiderate, to put me into a situation where I am responsible for letting you know my opinion......."

Latest posts