• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Must play courses in SC

filobedo

Double Eagle Member
Due to work I travel all over the US and many time when I meet people in other states they consistently say, "have you played Winthrop?" or "is Winthrop the best course you have ever played?" I have not played Winthrop since 2006 because it is a bit long for me and not the same as when the ropes are up but I go each year to the USDGC because it is fun to see the best in the world play it. My suggestions to play in SC in no order including nearby restuarants
are,

- Pipeline - Spartanburg - NuWay or Ike's (girls from Converse like to hang out there as well if you are young and single), avoid the Beacon no matter what you hear
- Grand Central Station - Central - Esso Club
- Stoney Hill - Prosperity - Roma's
- Chester State Park - Chester - The Summit, avoid the Mexican Restuarant in town
- Socastee Rec Park - Socastee - Big D's BBQ (Forestbrook area), Hamburger Joe's in Surfside, Sea Captain's House on the ocean in MB
-Trophy Lakes - Johns Island - Too many to list, Sunrise Bistro for breakfast and lunch but get there early if Sunday morning, Pourhouse deck in the afternoon for drinks and music
- Crooked Creek - Chapin - Zesto
- Red Owens - Easley - Skin's Hotdogs
- Va Du Mar (name changed to something else but not sure what) - Boiling Springs - Never eaten there but there is a Clock Restuarant, go to Spartanburg for dinner

- Course with most potential is Camden. I have not been there in years but this could be great if a club formed there but not sure how it looks now.

Footnotes

Va-Du-Mar's name is now Shoally Creek

Some guys in the area are getting together to make improvements at Woodward Park in Camden. They're motivated; hopefully they'll stay thatway nad get some results.

Add the riverbend course at camp Canaan as a must play in South Carolina. I can't wait to see the top pros play the course during the usdgc

What? What??? And, most importantly, WHAT??????

In order, (1) Riverbend Course, (2) Camp Canaan, and (2) the USDGC?

OK, I looked it up and have answers to the first 2, except for wondering how I haven't heard of this before.

Is it to be used in the USDGC?

I'd put the Sewee Outpost course in Awendaw, SC on the list as well. If you are visiting the Charleston area and looking for a disc golf/live music outing, check out the weekly Awendaw Green Barn Jam held on site every Wednesday night year round.

http://www.awendawgreen.com/

Anytime I am up that way a must play for me is Hippodrome Complex in North Augusta, SC

Anytime I am up that way a must play for me is Hippodrome Complex in North Augusta, SC

Honestly, the Hippo is a tad bit overrated. It's a fun course, but Old Glory can get a bit boring; Hogback is a pretty solid course though. If you're over that way, the drive to the IDGC is definitely worth it, although that's in Georgia...

On the OP's list, it should be noted the Esso Club is in Clemson, probably about an eight to ten minute drive from the course.

I'm also not so sure about Red Owens; the course gets absolutely no love from the Parks department, and the first few and last couple holes can be over-run with children on the weekends. Some of the holes are outstanding, but the course was in such eh shape when I played it that I haven't bothered to venture back there since.

Also, the Edisto Gardens DGC in Orangeburg is worthy of some consideration; there are two nine hole courses and one ten hole course, and while it isn't the most challenging course in the world, it is pretty fun. Plus there's a Maurice's BBQ right across the street.

I also think Timmons Park deserves some love. It's really short and technical, yes, but it is absolutely a blast to play, and the holes are much more difficult than it would appear at first glance. Plus for food, there's Greenville's downtown; Barleys has awesome pizza and a great selection of beer.

Add the riverbend course at camp Canaan as a must play in South Carolina. I can't wait to see the top pros play the course during the usdgc

I was told about a year ago that Camp Canaan was going to be impossible to get on from several people who had been there. I did see you can buy a annual pass now on dgu though recently.

Honestly, the Hippo is a tad bit overrated. It's a fun course, but Old Glory can get a bit boring; Hogback is a pretty solid course though. If you're over that way, the drive to the IDGC is definitely worth it, although that's in Georgia...

On the OP's list, it should be noted the Esso Club is in Clemson, probably about an eight to ten minute drive from the course.

I'm also not so sure about Red Owens; the course gets absolutely no love from the Parks department, and the first few and last couple holes can be over-run with children on the weekends. Some of the holes are outstanding, but the course was in such eh shape when I played it that I haven't bothered to venture back there since.

Also, the Edisto Gardens DGC in Orangeburg is worthy of some consideration; there are two nine hole courses and one ten hole course, and while it isn't the most challenging course in the world, it is pretty fun. Plus there's a Maurice's BBQ right across the street.

I also think Timmons Park deserves some love. It's really short and technical, yes, but it is absolutely a blast to play, and the holes are much more difficult than it would appear at first glance. Plus for food, there's Greenville's downtown; Barleys has awesome pizza and a great selection of beer.

Not sure how I did not mention Esso is in Clemson since I have only been there about a hundred times but never with disc golfers. Edisto is too inconsistent for me as if it drizzles it floods and the other areas are wide open. Also, no comment on inland mustard pork but they do have fantastic hash.

I'd put the Sewee Outpost course in Awendaw, SC on the list as well. http://www.awendawgreen.com/

And I'll go ahead and remove it from the list.

Played it for the first time yesterday. It's a very enjoyable course, probably the second best course in the Charleston area (behind Trophy Lakes); BUT, it's a beginner to mid-level course. It's not anywhere close to being in the same class as Stoney, Pipeline, Grand Central, Trophy, etc. If you're in Charleston and have time, hit it up. Just don't confuse it with a destination/must play course.

I was told about a year ago that Camp Canaan was going to be impossible to get on from several people who had been there. I did see you can buy a annual pass now on dgu though recently.

It appears you can now buy a day pass and play on weekends, with limitations. My intent is to test this out very soon.

Played it for the first time yesterday. It's a very enjoyable course, probably the second best course in the Charleston area (behind Trophy Lakes); BUT, it's a beginner to mid-level course. It's not anywhere close to being in the same class as Stoney, Pipeline, Grand Central, Trophy, etc. If you're in Charleston and have time, hit it up. Just don't confuse it with a destination/must play course.

I do enjoy Sewee and Brooks and Arthur are the best! Check out the Weapons Station in Goose Creek if you get a chance, lots of fun.

With my personal bias, I really should refrain from posting here. But I won't.

Roma's is terrific.

It is, however, a post-round dining experience, as the portions they serve are about 4 pounds each. And that's just the appetizers. It's tough to play after a meal like that.

Upstate Fbook page showed some of the improvements they've recently made to Red Owens - old #3 by the payground is gone, so old 4 is now 3, etc. And they've re-designed 10 and 11 due to park updates in that back corner. Really nice property for DG, was tough to see it in dis-repair but looking forward to someday checking out the face-lift. :thmbup:

I respect that opinion I suppose. I do think playing on a Wednesday night during a Barn Jam is an experience you don't often get at most disc golf courses. I certainly agree it would not rank in my top 5 from a purely disc golf course quality perspective. I guess if you yank Seewee Outpost I would suggest Edisto Gardens has no place on the list either. Since we are in a fun debate here, how bout the Sarge in Hardeeville? On the list/off the list? Just curious to hear various opinions.
Cheers.

Play Chester, drive to DOWNTOWN ROCK HILL and eat at FLIPSIDE RESTAURANT, then head over to Camp Canaan.

Thank me later.

The hippo and Edisto gardens don't belong in the convo as far as I'm concerned. I played Edisto gardens once and hated it, I have zero intention of going back. I didn't think there was a single memorable hole out of 28. I think the hippo is super overrated. It's not bad and I play it a few times a year, but the courses over the river are much better

Play Chester, drive to DOWNTOWN ROCK HILL and eat at FLIPSIDE RESTAURANT, then head over to Camp Canaan.

Thank me later.

When they find out they can't tee at Camp Canaan after 1:00, they're thanks may be tepid. And on this agenda, they won't make it before then.