• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Must play courses in SC

You won't get banned from SC, but you might get banned from your own DGCR thread with crazy ideas like that.

but I like the Trails Course in Anderson and have caught hell for liking it. I may get banned from SC but I think it could be as good as Timmons and Earlewood due to the elevation if it was trimmed up in some areas.

I like the Trails too, it makes a good warm up before playing Elberton just across the state line, and I admire the work Barfield did getting it installed and creating a club/Anderson U college team to keep up with it.

HOWEVER, those other 2 are among the most-highly considered 'Roc/Putter' courses in the world and their yearly tournaments are full or nearly so for a reason. Trails just won't reach that level, but a fun course and close to the highway for people who bag courses. I also think that one condition by the city of its installation was that they could not remove any live trees, so redesign to take full advantage of the elevation just can't happen. Streets would know for sure, why hasn't he chimed in here yet?

I really like Shaver but I still think Camden would be considered in the top 15 in the state if it was in good shape. I only played it once but I like the Trails Course in Anderson and have caught hell for liking it. I may get banned from SC but I think it could be as good as Timmons and Earlewood due to the elevation if it was trimmed up in some areas.

Eh, if they would only remove some trees to open the course up. I co-op in Abbeville, so when I get sick of the little nine-holer in Due West, I usually head to Anderson (haven't played Lander yet though, but that will change this fall when I'm back in Abbeville; also need to get out to Elberton!). The Trails is ok, but the trees and serious rough get kind of frustrating after a while. It's definitely an ok course, and Barfield is a great guy and did a great job with what he could, but compared to Timmons, it, well, doesn't really compare. I still need to go play Earlewood; I'm sure y'all will be shocked to hear this, but I don't go to Columbia that often :|

Shaver used to be in really great shape, but time and that mud run course have really taken a toll. I used to think the back 9 would hold its own with any stretch of holes in the state but not for the last 4 years or so. Grand Central has taken away a lot of the traffic but also removed the focus on keeping it up. I think. Used to be a pretty strong Shaver-specific club but Weirda moved to AZ, Joe and Robbie found jobs and girls (congrats on the engagement Joe!)

The Mud Run course doesn't hurt the course as much as the lack of clearing of the rough. The course itself still has great bones, but there really isn't much upkeep to it. I'd say Central probably has taken a lot of traffic away, and rightly so (I LOVE Central), but Shaver definitely could have an upkeep. I think Ian. said the doubles league in Walhalla plays Shaver once a month though.

Another course that everyone forgets about is Holmes park, that little nine holer in Greenville; I went there after playing Timmons today and it is a pretty good course for what it is. Hole 4 is still a really great hole. It certainly isn't going to be a must play course ever, but it's definitely worth noting as a fun little course that isn't terrible on its own.

On that note, here's a question: What do y'all think some of the better nine hole courses in the state are?

I really like Shaver but I still think Camden would be considered in the top 15 in the state if it was in good shape. I only played it once but I like the Trails Course in Anderson and have caught hell for liking it. I may get banned from SC but I think it could be as good as Timmons and Earlewood due to the elevation if it was trimmed up in some areas.

My dude! Trails is where I learned to play disc golf. It actually has a growing group of regulars who have really taken ownership of the course to keep it in good shape. Several alt placements have been installed (for better or worse depending) and this Saturday is a Trilogy challenge that will be the biggest event so far held at 50-52 participants. :hfive:

Another course that everyone forgets about is Holmes park, that little nine holer in Greenville; I went there after playing Timmons today and it is a pretty good course for what it is. Hole 4 is still a really great hole.

Sigh :( I used to live within walking distance of Holmes...would take a dog and/or the newborn and easily get a quick 18. Fun to mix it up there too and play 5's tee to 3's basket, or 8's tee to 2's basket and other safari lines. I think I've seen 2 birdies on #4 total in 8 years of playing there, but still a great hole.

I think Gower is a strong 9 hole course

Holes 3 and 4, plus the safety hazards on holes 6 through 9 kill it for me. Hole 1 and 2 are great, hole 5 is fun, and 6 and 8 can be fun. However, hole 7, where you have to make that hard left and there's a playground straight ahead, just makes me feel uneasy.

I'll also put the nine holer at USCA up. It was designed as a beginner course, but because of that, pretty much every hole is different, requiring a lot of different shots. It's also a really fun course to play.

I want to also get out to the nine holer in Laurens; it looks like a really fun, solid course.

Shaver used to be in really great shape, but time and that mud run course have really taken a toll. I used to think the back 9 would hold its own with any stretch of holes in the state but not for the last 4 years or so. Grand Central has taken away a lot of the traffic but also removed the focus on keeping it up. I think. Used to be a pretty strong Shaver-specific club but Weirda moved to AZ, Joe and Robbie found jobs and girls (congrats on the engagement Joe!)

Hey Bill, I'm married now, and have been living in Columbia for a year now.

I loved Shaver Rec, but man that course needs a some work.

I'm surprise none of the SC people have mentioned South East Park in Columbia, that course is a great addition to the SC lineup.

Hey Bill, I'm married now, and have been living in Columbia for a year now.

I loved Shaver Rec, but man that course needs a some work.

I'm surprise none of the SC people have mentioned South East Park in Columbia, that course is a great addition to the SC lineup.

That's awesome! Hope you're doing great, and my invite must have been sent to my old address...:D....I see you've bagged more courses than me, so have some kids and I'll catch you :thmbup:

I played southeast using temp baskets with Scott after driving down for their first workday and another time before teepads, lot of holes I can still recall so I hope it's lived up to that early potential. Columbia has so many players it could easily support 2 or more 18 hole courses.

Camp Cannan in Rock hill should be in this discussion.

It's very new so I know many of you haven't played it but I put it only behind Stoney in SC. Though I haven't played pipeline yet.

Another course that everyone forgets about is Holmes park, that little nine holer in Greenville; I went there after playing Timmons today and it is a pretty good course for what it is. Hole 4 is still a really great hole.

Sigh :( I used to live within walking distance of Holmes...would take a dog and/or the newborn and easily get a quick 18. Fun to mix it up there too and play 5's tee to 3's basket, or 8's tee to 2's basket and other safari lines. I think I've seen 2 birdies on #4 total in 8 years of playing there, but still a great hole.

Proud to say I was one of those two birdies :hfive:. Here's the putt I had to make:
18310229954_c59be19e74_c.jpg

I'm sure you remember this too(sooo many basket hits at Holmes, and never bagged an ace there...):

We had some good times playing safari at Holmes, as you mentioned. Here's 6 tee to 7 basket for a lefty:

And for a righty:

Remember when I thought that camera was the nuts? Yeah....

As far as 9-ers go, Furman is a lot of fun for the first few holes, then terrifying for the last few, as you must be one with the force to not hit any wandering pedestrians. Though it is a really pretty course.

Gower is a better 9-er than it gets credit for. For the land they were allowed to use, you couldn't do much better. Also great for safari, if you get lucky and the park is empty.

Camp Cannan in Rock hill should be in this discussion.

It's very new so I know many of you haven't played it but I put it only behind Stoney in SC. Though I haven't played pipeline yet.

Eager to play Cannananan too, and I'm sure that it's newness is why it's not mentioned much in here.

Proud to say I was one of those two birdies :hfive:. Here's the putt I had to make:
18310229954_c59be19e74_c.jpg

Pat H was the only other one, from below the tree and left far enough to avoid those low branches, so good company there. Was that an Orc? Nice SDS dye too, got any of those left? :D

Furman has the advantage of having the rare feature (for Upstate DG holes) of having some open holes, so it's a nice change but yeah, never without pedestrians and they never stay on the paths either.

??! Is this going to be the first SC disc golf thread to ever reach 3 pages !??

I liked all the 9 holers in Greenville if you ignore the conflict issues and just focus on the shots.

Also a gem( if it's being maintained well) is the new Pim Farms layout that Cam ToddTodd designed and built. Now that place was great!! Probably right up there with Stoney I just forget about it most of the time

Must play in SC -in no particular order

Winthrop Gold- with the ropes
Trophy Lakes
Central
Pipeline
Stoney Hill- Not now though, it looks terrible!

Hampton Park Non tournament rounds- Honorable mention

Those are the courses I get excited to make the long drive to play..(Stoney not included since it's really not that long of a drive to start on hole 6.

1. MUST PLAY has got to be spectator Sunday at Winthrop...always a great time with buds no matter your score and the $10 to play goes to charity. It's the only one mentioned I'd drive back from Dallas to play if the wife wouldn't leave me for doing so.

Must play in SC -in no particular order

Winthrop Gold- with the ropes
Trophy Lakes
Central
Pipeline
Stoney Hill- Not now though, it looks terrible!

Hampton Park Non tournament rounds- Honorable mention

Those are the courses I get excited to make the long drive to play..(Stoney not included since it's really not that long of a drive to start on hole 6.

Watch your tongue; I know the owners...

Pat H was the only other one, from below the tree and left far enough to avoid those low branches, so good company there. Was that an Orc? Nice SDS dye too, got any of those left? :D

It was the old Bulby Star Beast. The disc in the pic is an SDS mini.

Talk of Shaver made me recall this amazing moment...

Barry makes it to the Upstate, loses to David Cunningham. Three years later he finally returns and Stephen Trello takes him to a 4 hole playoff at Shoally before he finally takes the win. Don't think Barry likes coming here to play... :D

Latest posts