• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Mvp Amp

I've got a 162 and a 165 in my sale thread right now if you're interested. I found the Switch and Amp to overlap a bit at my power level, but I got much more control from the Switch. It's also sneaky long.

I have no discgolf money atm.
Go Giants!

Compared to the Switch I feel like the Amp is all around more neutral. For me the Amp would just like to flip into a line and hold until late in the flight. The Switch has more turn and fade for it's speed. I only have one Switch, but it flies different from my Amps. MVP/Axiom's only real overlap so far imo is the Servo/Crave...All of the other discs are quite different even if they have similar stability ranges.

I forgot about this MVP disc.

Who is throwing it still and any competition from the newer slow/fast releases?

I never clicked with the amp early on but feel like mine was always a bit on the OS side and preferred the HSS of the volt. I feel like the crave has become how I used my FR amps.

I'm with Discspeed with the Amp/Switch comparison.

I've got a non-first run Amp, it was fairly stable new, but I can hyzer-flip it to close to 350 on some throws now. So, doing field work where I'm unloading all my drivers, some sets the Amp is the longest disc (but that's usually if I miss on the Star Terns.)

It's actually pretty similar to a fairly new max wt. Inertia I'm working with right now. But I don't know if it's in jeopardy or not. The 168 Inertia I had, once broken in, was a different animal.

I tell you, as it's gotten more miles on it, this Amp is not unlike a solid Star Beast.

I don't carry my Amp every round, but it goes with me on travels. I love to throw it at less than full power on 300ish straight holes or slight L to R bends.

My 172 N Amp is one of my best discs. It's just a hair oversable and doesn't turn over very easily. It'll hold almost any line all the way.

How everyone talks about the Tangent being a point and shoot disc. That's what the Amp is for me except in fairway driver form.

Amps play a significant role in my bag. Mine are all FRs and sit between my beat FR Volt (which is about where I think a new Amp should be) and my newer N Volt. Between Volts and Amps, my FDs are completely covered (except for the utility role which is held by the Resistor.) My primary E Volt is very Teebird-ish so it occupies that stable to slightly OS slot and holds up really well in Oklahoma winds. I haven't really clicked with the slower FDs from MVP/Axiom so they haven't replaced my Volt/Amp combo (aside from the aforementioned Resistor.)

I primarily use the Amps for more technical holes as they tend to lock onto whatever line I put them on. Mine don't flip easily unless there is a headwind but they also don't fade out too much. They are more like a Volt that has lost it's LSS before it's HSS. I've got a stormtrooper that is my most accurate driver in my bag. At 300', it's straight and has a fade of about 5'-8'. Definitely one of my most treasured discs.

Are the Amplifier stamped Amps a first run? I have had two Amps and both were pretty damn stable off the shelf. Contemplating throwing my 'Amp' Amp but won't bother if its the same stability as my other two. Also are the most recently made Amps more US than the ones after the first run?

Mine has the red. Does that mean it is the more US of the AMPS out there? Actually bought it thanks to your heads up on the sale price Aim. Thanks man!

I have no idea as I only sold them and never thrown one. Not all FR MVP were more US or easier to turn. The first amp I bought was actually more OS than the current new runs which fly better like volts do. Basically the company was young and I don't even believe used the same machines to make the discs as they do now as well as processes being tweeked. The actual MOLDS were not changed at all.

Sounds like I should just hold onto it and enjoy its cool factor while it hangs out with my guitars and amps!

I'm on vacation, so I've already got about 5 rounds on this new Amp, and it's no kidding 9 5 0 2, at least out to 325. Absolutely no HS turn on this guy...yet. I think it'll get there, the glide phase is already noticably longer, but it's hard to believe how non-turny it is compared to the one I just lost.

either way, it's pretty sweet. Creamcicle. If it stays this stable, I'll just slot it as a Volt.

Let's meetup at Renny and I'll try it on #11 :p

I think I was talking too much Amp in the Volt thread....

I'm totally down, yeah, I'd like to see what the creamcicle Amp looks like with your cannon. Here it is, mmmMMMMMmmm:

I threw it past the basket @ 343 on a low ceiling today, so at least 350, and it didn't turn at all. Just lasered, with a mild uber-penetrating fade.

I wish I had the pink one to compare the profile to to see if I got a high-shoulder/PLH freak. But either way, this. Thing. Is. Awesome.

Here it is on the left, with an Inertia on the right.

SEEMS like my pink one was closer in profile to the Inertia...but I can't remember. This Amp look like a beefy freak to anyone?

Plastic Clause came yesterday, and I got 2 new N Volts from Justin. Comparing profiles with this creamsicle Amp, they look more similar than my pink Amp was. I meant to post a picture but didn't take it.

On close inspection, the shape of the rim config is subtly different, but the PLH is almost exactly the same. I'll be throwing the Volts with it tonight...but what I'm expecting is, right now this Amp may be that rarest of breeds, an outlier that flies even better than it's supposed to. I know from breaking in a lot of N drivers that it's going to lose some stability shortly and then settle in, but it's starting from a more stable flight than my other Amp...it kind of is reminding me of a Star Beast that I still carry sometimes, that was pretty stable for the mold, and never really got all that flippy, just mild turn, and bombs.

The down side is, for now I'm having to go with the Inertia for those US shots in that range, and I'm having fits for some reason controlling the lines with it.

My 172 N Amp has been slightly overstable since I got it. It's only been recently where it's gotten some high speed turn to it. Part of that is probably I get more power than I used to. Up to just past 300 it's a laser and a fade. Pushing past that it starts to show some decent high speed turn but still fades back.

^cool.

It's possible that the pink one I lost was from one of those early runs that were more US...and I shouldn't talk too much about this new one until I knock the new off it...but it's currently about the baddest driver I've ever throwed.

After a hour or so of field time side-by-side w/ 2 new N Volts, this amp is very very close to them. In fact, one of the volts is just a hair, and I mean barely, more HS and LS stable than the other (and this could be because it's red, and the other is bright yellow, and red discs always make me think "angry" so it could just be in my head)...and then this Amp is about the same amount different from the less stable one.

The profile of this Amp vs. the Volts look the same at first glance, nearly identical PLH. But, looking closely, the shape is subtly different.

All three are awesome. The red Volt seems to finish just a bit harder than the yellow. The amp is about the same fade as the yellow, just a bit later.

Now it just needs some trigger time to get these de-newed and see how they fly then.

Last edited: