• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MVP Black Hole™ Disc Golf Baskets: PRO - PRECISION - PRACTICE

Aim For The Chains

FROLF OFF!
Bronze level trusted reviewer
http://mvpdiscsports.com/mvp-black-hole-disc-golf-basket-series/

black-hole-baskets-page-header.jpg

Introducing a series of three disc golf baskets from MVP Disc Sports, the Black Hole™ Pro, Black Hole™ Precision, and Black Hole™ Practice. These baskets are designed by MVP and manufactured to the highest quality and customer value. Retailers may drop ship any of the Black Hole™ baskets directly to disc golfers from MVP Distribution Headquarters at no extra charge, keeping overall prices low.

All three Black Hole™ models share the same heavy duty portable base, pole, and cage assembly, all conforming to PDGA height and diameter specifications.

The Black Hole™ Pro and Black Hole™ Precision models feature a slim band design and course-quality heavy gauge chain, while the Black Hole™ Practice brings a lighter option with no header band and lighter chains seen in the Hive basket.

The Black Hole™ Precision features one narrow focus tier of chains to demand a far more accurate putt during practice.

Hives will still be around, those are the lowest price option, especially considering the minimum pricing that dealers can reach. And the new Practice model has the greatest discount margin between MSRP and Minimum, so those can get fire-saley. Black Hole™ Practice is a modified Hive in a way; same chain gauge I believe. Pole lengths/heights are to tweaked to PDGA specs. Chain rack is very similar, with the inner tier moved out a bit (I think I measured 13.5" diameter inner tier on Hive) to 15", and the outer tier at 21" (same diameters as the Pro).

Chains on the Pro and Precision are heavy.

The specs/details are on this page

From other thread..

If anyone was curious about weight:
Pro Basket shipping weight is 36 lbs.
Precision Basket shipping weight is 26 lbs.
Practice Basket shipping weight is 27 lbs.

So assembled weight will just be that, minus packaging, however much a box weighs.

Pro/practice to precision conversion

Anyone know if on the pro or practice, is it possible to quickly and easily take off the outer chains to make the basket into a precision type basket?

From what ive seen no on the pro without some mods but practice appear to have carabiner clip and free hanging off open top loops to quickly change .

Last edited:
Aim, tell me more. I'm looking to buy in some of the Black hole practice baskets to use for temporary course set ups for my tour - will they work for that purpose? Do you know what size they flatpack down to?

I do not own any of them... (yet!:D)

Bulk of the size will be the cage/base when disassembled. No tools required and my similar basket all fits into the cage to be picked up and transported pretty easily.

Pro has heavier duty chains. Practice chains held up with carabiners on inside and outer links while pros are direct mount outer link and clipped inners.

Priced basically $20 apart from pro to practice given the dealer you order from so really comes down to weight you want to lug around lol. ~10lbs difference.

Last edited:
Cool! I have a customer who is looking to order Friday and we have been discussing the same thing. I planned on just asking in the email when ordering to get direct clarification.

Maybe Zam can chime in with the 411 or someone else with a pro basket in hand?

Here is the picture we were lead to believe they were attached.

Attachments

• news_160104_header0512(1).jpg
    news_160104_header0512(1).jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Is MVP no longer being a distributor for hive baskets with the advent of this? The hive was a decent basket for the money, not implying that this isn't.

Hives will still be around, those are the lowest price option, especially considering the minimum pricing that dealers can reach. And the new Practice model has the greatest discount margin between MSRP and Minimum, so those can get fire-saley. Black Hole™ Practice is a modified Hive in a way;

I just ordered myself a Pro.

Really looking forward to practicing on a basket that won't devastate my confidence like my Bullseye....

Can they be used for inground permanent use? I need cheap, quality inground baskets cor a campground course I am designing. Looking at the Mach II.

Can they be used for inground permanent use? I need cheap, quality inground baskets cor a campground course I am designing. Looking at the Mach II.

The Mach 2 is definitely the best choice on the market for an affordable in ground basket. Not only is it the build quality superior to anything else on the market, it comes with a 20-year warranty for extra piece of mind.

Anyone know if on the pro or practice, is it possible to quickly and easily take off the outer chains to make the basket into a precision type basket?
You can remove both rows. The first row comes off by just taking them off, the second row comes off via Carabiners

Views from top of Black Hole Pro

Attachments

• 2477.jpg
    2477.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 161
  • 2481.jpg
    2481.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 138
  • 2486.jpg
    2486.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 129
Great, thanks guys, more money I don't have now going to be spent on lots of Pro baskets :)

They look good and will do just what I need for temporary course set ups for tournaments.

Had an email back from them last night, they come in boxes of 25" x 25" x 8" so easy to transport to and from the course as well. Nice one MVP, this looks a really solid addition to the marketplace.

Hot dipped galvanized for permanent installs, zinc plated for temp setups -- these MVP baskets are zinc plated (basket and chains), although the baskets are then powder coated which helps. If the powder coating chips it will eventually rust in those spots if left outside, and the zinc plated chains will rust if left out all the time. They are ideal baskets for temp setups like rhatton wants to do, or as practice baskets for which they were designed.

Great, thanks guys, more money I don't have now going to be spent on lots of Pro baskets :)

They look good and will do just what I need for temporary course set ups for tournaments.

Had an email back from them last night, they come in boxes of 25" x 25" x 8" so easy to transport to and from the course as well. Nice one MVP, this looks a really solid addition to the marketplace.

Just a small piece of mind.... I've sold quite a few Black Holes so far and have only had great feedback on them. Doesn't mean that someone won't let me know if they hate it, but over half of the purchasers have let me know that they are very happy with the baskets.

Latest posts