• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quest -> MVP -> Innova

Therefore, Quest had the original idea. MVP just improved upon it. Alas, Innova seems to be doing the same. Kinda like how the beveled edge disc was pioneered by Innova, and the other companies came along and worked off that idea......like MVP. The fact that people think this was all MVP's idea is patently false. MVP certainly made the overmold superior to Quest.

Wham-O -> Quest -> MVP -> Innova

Wham-O did it back in 1997(at least that is when it was PDGA approved) with the Max Flight.

Last edited:
The "gyro tech" marketing was especially smart. Label it as new tech in the industry, regardless of how much it really effects the flight.

I'm a little curious about this. Sure, MVP wasn't the first doing overmolds, but were they the first to do overmolds the way they have done them? The purpose of the gyro is to put as much weight into the furthest point of the edge as possible. The Atlas rim is seemingly all overmold, essentially reducing the extra gyro effect they may have had using an overmold. Thus, Innova really didn't copy MVP's idea at all, and gyro to the extent that they did it might actually be new to the industry. Innova's is basically just a regular disc with a different colored, softer plastic at the edge as far as I'm seeing it.

I'm a little curious about this. Sure, MVP wasn't the first doing overmolds, but were they the first to do overmolds the way they have done them? The purpose of the gyro is to put as much weight into the furthest point of the edge as possible. The Atlas rim is seemingly all overmold, essentially reducing the extra gyro effect they may have had using an overmold. Thus, Innova really didn't copy MVP's idea at all, and gyro to the extent that they did it might actually be new to the industry. Innova's is basically just a regular disc with a different colored, softer plastic at the edge as far as I'm seeing it.

Pretty much yeah. Its the look that copies it. Which is fine. Who knows what they will fly like. Buy a stack and maybe 2 will fly identical.

AMF Voit did it first to set the record straight.

Didn't know that but did a quick search and they were being made by 1983(possibly earlier.)

If take AMF and you move the A to between the MF(=MAF,) then flip the A over and remove the - and add that to the side of the F you get MVP, weird.

Attachments

• $T2eC16R,!y8E9s2fjKJ6BQOVB,v3mQ~~60_1.JPG
    $T2eC16R,!y8E9s2fjKJ6BQOVB,v3mQ~~60_1.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 39
  • amf_voit_1983wdc_side.jpg
    amf_voit_1983wdc_side.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 37
Good history lesson. I forgot about AMF. I will happily concede that MVP has achieved "best in class" status for overmolded discs. However, they are far from the originator of the idea, which is why I find all this "Innova ripped off MVP's idea" so laughable, and frankly completely inaccurate. MVP did prove that there was a viable market for a well designed overmolded disc. :clap:

MVP is like Apple and their iPhone. Apple didn't invent the smart phone, but they made them very popular. Genius marketing brought a geeky product to the masses. One other similarity is the very protective fans. They cry foul of every one ripping off their poor "underdog" company.

Didn't know that but did a quick search and they were being made by 1983(possibly earlier.)

If take AMF and you move the A to between the MF(=MAF,) then flip the A over and remove the - and add that to the side of the F you get MVP, weird.[/QUOTE]

That was a stretch, but you made it work :D

MVP is like Apple and their iPhone. Apple didn't invent the smart phone, but they made them very popular. Genius marketing brought a geeky product to the masses. One other similarity is the very protective fans. They cry foul of every one ripping off their poor "underdog" company.

Great comparison!! Actually is quite true.. I remember when I loved apple.. Boy that was awhile back.. RIP Steve Jobs. But that is an honest feel of MVP.

MVP is like Apple and their iPhone. Apple didn't invent the smart phone, but they made them very popular. Genius marketing brought a geeky product to the masses.

or rather they created products with outstanding aesthetics. thats a better comparison for mvp.

or rather they created products with outstanding aesthetics. thats a better comparison for mvp.

Oh yes, MVP discs have an unparalleled amount of beauty, and are so much more pleasing to the eye than the other discs on the market produced by obsolete manufacturers. :p

Oh yes, MVP discs have an unparalleled amount of beauty, and are so much more pleasing to the eye than the other discs on the market produced by obsolete manufacturers. :p

i agree, but i think its strange you used more characters than me to summarize my post..

Nolan nailed it about the pleasant aesthetics of Apple and MVP. I think part of MVP's appeal is futurism. Take a crowd hungry for progress, show them futurism, and they rabidly support and defend the brand.

I have an iPhone and throw MVP, but would punch a hipster if I ever saw one (and was a violent person who thought punching a random person would accomplish anything) argument invalid.

The difference between MVP and all the others, is consistency and quality plastic. That's not being a fanboy, that's being a smart golfer. I got a majority of my MVP at the same price as a DX Roc, yet they'll last 100x longer, advantage MVP.

Status
Not open for further replies.