• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part IV)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yeah, and it does everything the proxy and envy does, just better.

Well done.

The Ion is deeper and gets extra glide from that depth. They're my favorite putting putter, and I do enjoy driving with them, but I prefer driving with the Proxy / Envy combo for a few reasons.

- Squared rim VS curved rim. The squared rim feels more secure in my forehand grip. Putting and backhand it doesn't make much of a difference for me, but the curved inner rim takes some getting used to.

- Envy is more OS than Ions across the board. They'll do better in wind, especially when flicked. Being flatter with a lower profile also helps them penetrate wind better.

- Proxy is magic and covers basically any line in calm to moderate winds. Ions do not do the subtle turnover or 100% dead straight shot as well as a Proxy. It takes years of seasoning in my experience to make a premium Ion cover those lines, or you can beat up an Electron Ion, but over time it will develop more turn. I don't always have room to throw an anhyzer off the tee, which is where a firm rip with a Proxy thrown flat to exploit its subtle turn shines.

- Slightly faster with their low profile and flatter top. This helps them in the wind and gives them a bit more distance potential on lower lines. Proxy doesn't really do any worse in the wind VS an Ion for me, and Envy does much better. PRoxy / Envy throw a bit more like mids, while the Ion feels like true a putter off the tee.

The Ion can definitely be your only putter, but it will require you seasoning some to cover the lines a Proxy can, and there isn't an Ion that's as OS as an Envy. Proxy / Envy combo allows you to cover a wider range of shots when new.

I've settled on putting with Electron Ions and driving with the Proxy / Envy. I still play one disc rounds with my Ions a few times a month, so I compare their performance head to head quite often.

I firmly believe the Proxy is the best throwing putter ever made, bar none. If I could only throw one disc for the rest of my life, it'd be the Proxy.

Not if you know what release angles are ;)

Nice detailed explanation, Mike. Much appreciated.

Pures are great driving putters too.

Just not as good as Proxies ;)

Next question re Ion: Why do some of you prefer putting with Ion. Is it the bead? The stability crutch (jk elmexdela)? All seriousness, is it that you like a more stable putter than say an Atom or Proxy? If so, is it so you can putt it hard without concern? And/or so that it doesn't continue to carry way past basket if missed, etc...

What a great putter line up from MVP and Axiom

Well done.

Nice detailed explanation, Mike. Much appreciated.

Just not as good as Proxies ;)

Next question re Ion: Why do some of you prefer putting with Ion. Is it the bead? The stability crutch (jk elmexdela)? All seriousness, is it that you like a more stable putter than say an Atom or Proxy? If so, is it so you can putt it hard without concern? And/or so that it doesn't continue to carry way past basket if missed, etc...

In my experience.. I actually used to putt with aviar pna before the ion. You would have thought I would have switched to anodes instead. It works great for driving and putting. Its a nice neutral/maybe slightly OS. It doesnt really "beat in" to flippy. It just gets straighter over time and still tames most wind.

I used a few pures. Though I can see why people like them, they were far too unreliable for me. The Proxy is the same concept but better for me. Actually The Pure is almost closer to an Atom. And the Atom in Proton Outshines a Pure in Opto.....I think that's just a fact, not even opinion

It's 100% feel for me. I could putt fine with any of their putters but the Ion is the most comfortable in my putting grip. Also helps that I have ~7 years of experience with em.

I was using Ions for awhile, but have since switched to the Pilot. It feels very similar to the challengers I used to use and just felt right to me the first time I picked one up. Never could get the feel of using the Ion for power grips or FHs cause of the curved inner rim, but did like the way they flew when I would fan/stack grip them. Still have the semi-beat up E Ion in the bag for anhy putts, till I get one of these pilots there.

I first used them 8 years ago. Benched em for a while. Now am settled on them. If the ion goes OOP, Im quitting dg. There wont even be a point playing anymore. I would literally have to fill my entire 15 disc bag full of volts.

I just orded a Plasma Proxy at 171g and Plasma Envy at 172 g. I only have experience with Neutron Proxy/Envy and at 174g. Any idea if there will be a difference at all? I'm hoping not. I only had 1 plasma disc and it was a theory and it was actually fairly stable, so....is plasma more or less stable typically? and ...are the proxy/envy plasmas gummy? or fairly normal firmness?

There shouldn't be a noticeable difference. Last time I vacationed in Ohio I walked into a PIAS and bought myself a set of discs to use, Plasma Envy being one of them. Flew just like my newer Soft's I typically use. I kept one in the bag for a while as my short range roller since Softs can be finicky with those shots at times. Flex should be between regular Neutron and Soft Neutron. If you try to flex it with both hands it'll bend more easily than Neutron, but throwing it the rim shouldn't flex in your grip like Soft's can.

Me and Nathan usually do disc tests or casual rounds together, but we've been thinking about doing a competitive round for something different. Any course suggestions?

^^ Really enjoyed that video Mike, well done, great shooting. Loved seeing the Proxy/Envy in action like that. and Wrath, and Mayhem. I'm really liking Axiom discs this year. Now they just need a More OS Envy, More US Proxy , A teebird clone, and PLEASE a disc that is juuuuuuuuust slightly more US than a Wrath, inertia was close, but it beats into too flippy for my taste, something between a wrath and insanity would be perfect (again, not inertia, like the disc a lot, but it turns a lot more than desired)

I'm starting to get the hang of rollers. I'm using a signal, so it's kinda easy street to get it down, but still got a couple close to 400 in my yard. Now to test it out on a course.

^^ Really enjoyed that video Mike, well done, great shooting. Loved seeing the Proxy/Envy in action like that. and Wrath, and Mayhem. I'm really liking Axiom discs this year. Now they just need a More OS Envy, More US Proxy , A teebird clone, and PLEASE a disc that is juuuuuuuuust slightly more US than a Wrath, inertia was close, but it beats into too flippy for my taste, something between a wrath and insanity would be perfect (again, not inertia, like the disc a lot, but it turns a lot more than desired)
Tb = crave (ive posted pics b4 you can find and they look and fly damn near identical give or tske the the tb/crave flavor you find.

A ~155g fission tesla also is the closest right now for that wrath | inertia spot. A beat heavy wrath when i bagged them for a minute (destroyed one intentionally just to see) wad also great. No need to split any more hairs in those speed classes IMO but for sure os envy.. Will be curious how production particle fly.

I'm starting to get the hang of rollers. I'm using a signal, so it's kinda easy street to get it down, but still got a couple close to 400 in my yard. Now to test it out on a course.
I did the same thing them moved to an Insanity. Goes farther.

Tb = crave (ive posted pics b4 you can find and they look and fly damn near identical give or tske the the tb/crave flavor you find.

A ~155g fission tesla also is the closest right now for that wrath | inertia spot. A beat heavy wrath when i bagged them for a minute (destroyed one intentionally just to see) wad also great. No need to split any more hairs in those speed classes IMO but for sure os envy.. Will be curious how production particle fly.

I have a couple craves....they are fairly close in flight but just handle power very differently. I may have to sell my craves because im kinda stuck/happy with the teebird.

Status
Not open for further replies.