• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part IV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noill

* Ace Member *
Premium Member
Cont'd from here.

If you want slightly OS for crave id go heavier and a little lighter on relay for slightly US when buying new. Ive had some craves that were a little OS when fresh but season up great. Servo is worth looking at too if often windy or he likes to throw flex shots vs lazers.

Funny you mention that, I recently got a back up Crave that has a slightly higher wing on it, it flies like a slightly seasoned Servo, so I'll just give him that. I haven't played with him enough to really know what kind of shots he likes and such, but I think this'll be a pretty solid set up for now. Again, thanks everyone!

So, Infinite Discs lists four MVP models as "Coming Soon"--and I don't find any mention on the MVP website.

Catalyst and Energy are in the new distance driver class. I might pick up a Catalyst for giggles.
The Signal appears to be a slightly less understable Relay. Is there a need for that?
The Matrix is a mid beefier than the Tensor. Again, is there a need for that?

So, Infinite Discs lists four MVP models as "Coming Soon"--and I don't find any mention on the MVP website.

Catalyst and Energy are in the new distance driver class. I might pick up a Catalyst for giggles.
The Signal appears to be a slightly less understable Relay. Is there a need for that?

MVP hasn't announced these for public release yet is only reason why they're not on the website.

I'm excited to try out the Catalyst to see how understable it is. They say it is "less understable" than the Orbital. I'm trying to decide if they mean it is more stable or less stable. Their written description kind of matches the Orbital's, so I think it'll be rather understable but more stable just because of the speed. Energy looks like it'll be more stable than a Stiletto based off the Nitro.

I just got a Relay and it's not seasoned yet, but it's not that understable for what I was expecting. I saw the TK video review of the Signal and it looked like the Glide equivalent MVP disc I've been seeking to replace my Glide. I had an Inspire and it came very close but just not quite there.

The Matrix is awesome. It's a longer Envy, doesn't really have the big fade Infinite Discs is saying it does. It's just more HSS, not really more LSS.

I've not thrown a Relay but I'd be very surprised if the Relay less understable than the Signal. The Signal was a turnover machine for all but the lowest of arm speeds at my tourney.

The Matrix seems to run into two groups. Domey ones have some beef to them (I haven't personally tested this yet) whereas the flat ones are very overstable like a beadless Wasp or pearly Champ Shark. There is definitely a need for a mid beefier than the Tensor IMO b/c every one I threw didn't even come close to being as beefy as my Vectors.

MVP hasn't announced these for public release yet is only reason why they're not on the website.

I'm excited to try out the Catalyst to see how understable it is. They say it is "less understable" than the Orbital. I'm trying to decide if they mean it is more stable or less stable. Their written description kind of matches the Orbital's, so I think it'll be rather understable but more stable just because of the speed.

The ratings on the Infinite Discs website put the Catalyst at -2/2, where the Orbital is, what, -4/1? I like discs with the -2/2 characteristics, though I doubt I generate enough snap to take advantage of that speed right now. I only have a Wave and Orbital for giggles, as I can't get significantly more distance out of them compared to my Impulse and Inertia.

I've not thrown a Relay but I'd be very surprised if the Relay less understable than the Signal. The Signal was a turnover machine for all but the lowest of arm speeds at my tourney.

The description was the other way--the Signal is supposed to be less understable/more stable than the Relay. I've not thrown a Relay, which is why I asked if there was a need for that, as the disc ratings are very similar. If the Signal was a turnover machine and the Relay is even more understable, then I reckon there is a good reason.

The Matrix seems to run into two groups. Domey ones have some beef to them (I haven't personally tested this yet) whereas the flat ones are very overstable like a beadless Wasp or pearly Champ Shark. There is definitely a need for a mid beefier than the Tensor IMO b/c every one I threw didn't even come close to being as beefy as my Vectors.

Ah, OK. I've not thrown any of the mids to know how well they match the given ratings. I just wondered why MVP was putting out new discs that aren't much different than existing models.

I've been looking because I've found that some of the discs I bag are now a bit too soft as my grip has improved. My Vibram fairways now feel too soft and I don't like the feel of the X-Link Firm, so am trying an Amp and a Volt and a Switch (I think) looking for replacements. Took a gander at the mids, too, as my GStar Wombat now feels too soft.

It was about time for part IV. Strong work, Noill.

Here is what the PDGA had posted from MVP about the Signal.

With a narrow 16mm rim and a significantly understable flight profile, theSignal*will be the easiest-throwing MVP driver for a beginner. While beginners and developing players will enjoy an easy straight flight, expert throwers will need to dial it down or turn on their expert mode. *Thrown at high power, the*Signal*begs for lines to be worked through hyzer-flips and height adjustments, yielding everything from laser beams to smooth turns. On wooded courses the*Signal*can be manipulated onto a variety of dynamic lines, excelling under backhand throws and the cleanest of forehands. For those daring to go the distance, the*Signal*holds the key to roller city!

I could not find this info directly from MVP. Either way, the Signal will be more US than the Relay. All reports, plus the description above indicate this. Can't wait to get my hands on one.

This kind of blows my mind a little because my Relays (166-167) were very flippy. The Signal must be almost useless lol.

Yeah, I can't control mine, and I'm pretty sure it's 175. The Relay comparison is from my buddy who's thrown both. I haven't, but want to try a max wt Relay. I'd love to find something between a new Switch and this Signal. Basically a seasoned Switch off the shelf.

I think it's a good first hyzer-flip disc for newer players, and like Bro D described it last week, if your woods game is all about controlled hyzer flips into every possible line, this would be a killer disc for that.

I just don't have the hyzer game to make it work for me.

Signal's a worn Leo, or a slightly seasoned Pro Leo, where Relay is very JLSish. I loved Signal immediately cuz I bagged Leos with that flight, but I know it'll be beyond utility use for some people.

Signal's a worn Leo, or a slightly seasoned Pro Leo, where Relay is very JLSish. I loved Signal immediately cuz I bagged Leos with that flight, but I know it'll be beyond utility use for some people.

So if I pull out my old DX Leo, it might be a good sub to practice for my upcoming Circuit in July?

So if I pull out my old DX Leo, it might be a good sub to practice for my upcoming Circuit in July?
So many flavors of Leo so it's hard to say for sure, but yeah if you've got non-premium Leos or worn JLS to work with, those are probably the closest things to use for practice. A really light Relay might give you some of that, too. I was basically doing Signal stuff with my low-160s Relay before.

Someone talk me through Volts. How do the flights compare between Neutron, Proton, Eclipse and Plasma? I have thrown a Neutron Volt before. Neutron is Champish IIRC. What are Eclipse, Plasma and Neutron like in feel compared to other brands plastic?

Volt stability scale from my experience. Overstable to less stable:

Eclipse/proton>neutron>plasma>early run lower weight neutron.

Eclipse and proton are translucent(champish) plastic. Eclipse rims glow. The newer proton has been feeling kind of gummy.

Neutron is similar to star. Most of the neutron Volts I've had were stiffer. Neutron is my all around favorite plastic.

Plasma is gummies and swirlier neutron. Plasma molds will usually have a bit less overall stability and maybe more dome(jury's still kind of out on that)

Flat = slightly OS
Dome = stable to shallow turn with softer fade

I ordered some volts directly from factory which i posted in the volt thread re:dome. A volt in general is a volt except the rare lighter FRs and the dome vs flat variances. The protons i ordered had more dome vs any of the plasmas i ordered when released.

I like all the volts. They all fly great and feel/look just as well.

I wish someone locally sold MVP (hell I wish anyone locally sold any of my discs other then the Polecat) so I could look at them.

Man, I've been really debating breaking out some volts and putting them back in the bag. Used to bag 3 plus an under stable compliment but I've been using a resistor/crave/relay combo and it's one of my favorite fairway setups ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts