• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part IV)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just here to say Gyro is REAL. Im building an all mvp bag. Got my first throws in today with the new plastic. Thoughts:

173g Neutron Catalyst: great out the box. Farthest disc i have ever thrown fresh out the box. Got putts on holes i couldnt reach for years. 50ft extra distance over my Cranks. Wont make the bag,as i can see these being too flippy too quickly.

Eclipse Volt 173g: Sooo straight. I felt this disc did one thing. It flies dead straight to about 340ft then has a calm fade to the ground. It just wants to go straight. It wont make the bag. I want something with the same flight but faster. Speed 10 volt anyone?

e up

Re: catalyst beating in too quickly: possible but know that MVP discs, I feel, beat in slowly.

Re: volt, what was not too like then about Volt? From your description, it sounds like it flew perfectly for you...

Eclipse Volt 173g: Sooo straight. I felt this disc did one thing. It flies dead straight to about 340ft then has a calm fade to the ground. It just wants to go straight. It wont make the bag. I want something with the same flight but faster. Speed 10 volt anyone?

MVP-PLM-TESLA-IMG.JPG

btw those flat and heavy teslas are beefy, try 168-170g plasma one?

Is your ordered Matrix proton or neutron?
Protons seem to be on the straight side(more buzzz'ish?) and neutrons more stable with fade

Just want to say the mayhem is a nice step up in stability by a hair vs catalyst and goes boom. The octane would be the mold to cycle in that max D spot IMO tho.

I loved the distance of the catalyst buy agree they get a little flippy at times. The spam can SE run of mayhems (would assume normal) are one of the straighest max speeders ive thrown very similar to when i had beat octanes.

I finally got some time in on the Resistor it's much more workable at slow speed than I thought.. Decent skips too, hangs out a bit long on overhand throws, doesn't turn over as fast as I'd like. It's going to be interesting to see how it fits into the bag.. I like the stability BH and FH... But we'll see if I can figure it out OH it's fighting the Crave for bag space I really expected it to be harder to throw. Smashed the top of the basket at 200' almost an ace on a hole I could have thrown a putter haha.

I can't wait to see what the Crave will break into.. It exhibits a fair bit of high speed turn already.

Last edited:
I finally got some time in on the Resistor it's much more workable at slow speed than I thought.. Decent skips too, hangs out a bit long on overhand throws, doesn't turn over as fast as I'd like. It's going to be interesting to see how it fits into the bag.. I like the stability BH and FH... But we'll see if I can figure it out OH it's fighting the Crave for bag space I really expected it to be harder to throw. Smashed the top of the basket at 200' almost an ace on a hole I could have thrown a putter haha.

I can't wait to see what the Crave will break into.. It exhibits a fair bit of high speed turn already.

Interesting. I have Resistor coming for xmas, which I'm little kid excited for, and I was also expecting it to be mo beefy than it sounds. Hopefully it's still beefy but in a good workable way? What weight is your Resistor?

Also curious on crave weight.

Interesting. I have Resistor coming for xmas, which I'm little kid excited for, and I was also expecting it to be mo beefy than it sounds. Hopefully it's still beefy but in a good workable way? What weight is your Resistor?

Also curious on crave weight.

Hey the Crave is a 159, Resistor is a 162 both Neutron.... I like light stuff I probably should have got the Crave in the 165 range.. From everything I read I thought the Resistor was more of a pig.. Maybe it is if it's heavier, definitely in FL territory more than a Firebird. Sample size of one haha.

Yes I would say in a good way.. The lower speed requirement and lower weight on mine make it real easy to throw with a solid fade. Good solid stability but not overwhelming. Tried it in some wind and very happy. It's definitely got beef and if it was heavier I'd be feeling it. When I got that Crave I wanted a Resistor I just didn't know it.

Last edited:
I would imagine Resistors vary in stability like any other mold from MVP, for example i had a blue N servo that was flippy and then i got a white N that was straight and fade. However, i have personally never seen a resistor that was flippy or had any turn out of the box but ive only owned 3. Mine have all been reliably overstable but maybe slightly more/less dump to the fade.

The oldest one i have that is beat in, I would give it a -1 turn, 3 fade, it holds a beautiful straight line with a long drifting turn that doesn't flip over and has retained that dumpy late fade that makes it easy to range. It took a long time to get there. Out of the box my max weight resistors are def 0 turn and 4 fade!

Its not a beginner disc in my opinion because of the low glide and dump fade newer disc golfers would probably not get much distance or appreciation out of the Resistor, but for someone who plays more advanced that has more power and variation of throw styles they will recognize right away the reliable flight, versatility and ease of ranging this disc. Resistors dont have much glide and the fade dumps. It can handle thumbers, forehand, etc.

I recommend using it as a replacement for all midrange discs. I find midranges less reliable/predictable due to glide and dome, the resistor will cut through windy conditions, you can flick it around obstacles more easily than a midrange class due to its lower profile and narrow blade shaped wing. Its going to dump on target whereas a midrange might glide past the target or get thrown off course more easily by wind. The only thing lacking then would be a straight flight without much fade or anny lines and thats what putters do best!

I notice a trend in pros opting to use faster putters instead of midrange class discs for shorter drives or midrange throws and then jumping right up to slow fairways for anything too long for a putter. Just want to point out that in my experimenting i have found this to be a successful approach.

Last edited:
Yes... I definitely run light in the mid dept.. Tangent / Comet and an occasional Vector or Vertex.. Spin/Envy are my workhorses, Tangent or Vertex to get a longer Anny. Switch, Signal or Relay and fission Photon 143 rounds out my bag + whatever distance driver I'm using Inertia usually or Vanish. That's where the Resistor is starting to fit as a more reliable wind/torque/utility disc where I might flip the Photon or the Switch.

Since I learned to play with only a driver 20yrs ago I have no problem cheating it for short lines.

For reference my Resistor also has a mild puddle top. I'm no pro but I've got some mega spin even with limited distance I can probably thank my old Force I never should have been throwing haha. You'll dig it deyo7 don't panic on my accounts...

Last edited:
Hey the Crave is a 159, Resistor is a 162 both Neutron.... I like light stuff I probably should have got the Crave in the 165 range.. From everything I read I thought the Resistor was more of a pig.. Maybe it is if it's heavier, definitely in FL territory more than a Firebird. Sample size of one haha.

Yes I would say in a good way.. The lower speed requirement and lower weight on mine make it real easy to throw with a solid fade. Good solid stability but not overwhelming. Tried it in some wind and very happy. It's definitely got beef and if it was heavier I'd be feeling it. When I got that Crave I wanted a Resistor I just didn't know it.

Cool, thanks! I'll report back how the heavier resistor works out for me in time.

My Crave (new) is 172 and it's pretty straight hss for me so far. Still testing it to determine if and where it fits for me.

I would imagine Resistors vary in stability like any other mold from MVP, for example i had a blue N servo that was flippy and then i got a white N that was straight and fade. However, i have personally never seen a resistor that was flippy or had any turn out of the box but ive only owned 3. Mine have all been reliably overstable but maybe slightly more/less dump to the fade.

The oldest one i have that is beat in, I would give it a -1 turn, 3 fade, it holds a beautiful straight line with a long drifting turn that doesn't flip over and has retained that dumpy late fade that makes it easy to range. It took a long time to get there. Out of the box my max weight resistors are def 0 turn and 4 fade!

Its not a beginner disc in my opinion because of the low glide and dump fade newer disc golfers would probably not get much distance or appreciation out of the Resistor, but for someone who plays more advanced that has more power and variation of throw styles they will recognize right away the reliable flight, versatility and ease of ranging this disc. Resistors dont have much glide and the fade dumps. It can handle thumbers, forehand, etc.

I recommend using it as a replacement for all midrange discs. I find midranges less reliable/predictable due to glide and dome, the resistor will cut through windy conditions, you can flick it around obstacles more easily than a midrange class due to its lower profile and narrow blade shaped wing. Its going to dump on target whereas a midrange might glide past the target or get thrown off course more easily by wind. The only thing lacking then would be a straight flight without much fade or anny lines and thats what putters do best!

I notice a trend in pros opting to use faster putters instead of midrange class discs for shorter drives or midrange throws and then jumping right up to slow fairways for anything too long for a putter. Just want to point out that in my experimenting i have found this to be a successful approach.

Not an advanced player but sounds perfect otherwise.

I recommend using it as a replacement for all midrange discs.

I take it you are not a woods golfer. Whilst I love my Crave for tunnel shots, fairways tend to not shape shots as well. Especially for a backhand dominate player.

In the woods, I throw midranges more than all other classes of discs together.

Even among pros, only the most powerful players( see Conrad) use putters in place of mids for long shaped shots.

Edit: come to think of it, even Conrad uses mids for shaped shots.

Last edited:
I think how you balance your bag is very dependent on which discs you anchor it with some people get a lot of mileage out of their mid ranges other people putters

Yeah, the light Resistors are kinda like Champ Teebird+ in flight. They seem faster, still have good HSS but the LSS kicks in later so they're very straight to fade. The heavy Resistors are stouter and more utility beef. It's basically like MVP's Banshee, light ones are beefy TB-ish, heavy ones are like slow FBs. The Resistor just has a more modern, sharper rim than the Banshee.
I take it you are not a woods golfer. Whilst I love my Crave for tunnel shots, fairways tend to not shape shots as well. Especially for a backhand dominate player.

In the woods, I throw midranges more than all other classes of discs together.

Even among pros, only the most powerful players( see Conrad) use putters in place of mids for long shaped shots.

Edit: come to think of it, even Conrad uses mids for shaped shots.
Yeah, JC threw the crap out of his purple MD4 from what I saw last year, in addition to the JK Aviars. He threw it a lot on open holes too, weirdly. JC just has kind of a unique approach to the game.
I think how you balance your bag is very dependent on which discs you anchor it with some people get a lot of mileage out of their mid ranges other people putters
Well said. To add to that, how much you FH or are if you're BH dominant has a lot to do with it too. When I was mostly BH, I used my mids a lot more, especially for wooded tunnels where the landing zones are hard for a putter to reach. Now that I FH a lot more, I really like low profile putters for flicks b/c the small diameter more closely resembles a driver.

Thanks BroD I tried to put a shout out to you but I missed the edit timeout.. I'm discing down for the winter and trying to fill that last OS utility slot.. Hence the dabbling with Resistor and lesserly haha the Crave.

I'm always surprised by the difference one or two discs make to the bag, I play small bag all the time now 8 max generally... so everything pretty much has to do double duty, if I'm not throwing it something else gets a dabbling space. If I had a proxy I think I'd rock heavier mids since I roll with the Envy, the Spin and Tangent I need to cover what many would do with an Ion or Proxy.

Envy, Tangent, and Switch anchor my bag..Spin or Vertex are good too but interchangeable. Inertia should be there too but not til spring... The rest just kind of fill the gaps.

What anchors your Gyro bag? Yes plasma ion and fiz volt haha.. I saved you a post elmex

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.