• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part IV)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah that could be a really cool mold tweek that I can get behind there's a couple of things I wouldn mind something a little less stable. Defy comes to mind.. Could be interesting to see how it translates between molds and how the less dense outer rim will change discs..

Or as a Photon. Not all of us are lucky enough to have a stack of lower stability Fission Photons, ya know...

Is it less dense? I was wondering if they found clear weighting agents, but I couldn't find any details about gyro-ness of the prism molds.

Well I've often heard about the denser outer mold... I've also read that by increasing the weight in the rim they get more gyroscopy ..hahas screw you spell check... as far as it being heavier I don't know if I've actually heard it phrased that way but the assumption is yes. Assuming a proton material is less dense than say a plasma core, maybe heavy core light rim hmmm there's probably bonding issues.

Photons yeah I like my stash of two I think I'm going to stock up on a few more I've got two more put aside at the 145 and 155g seriously thinking about a heavier one... what was that issue with new fission runs? Less stable? That would work for me, I could get a 165.. My 143 is a crazy day noodle arm bomber!!

Last edited:
Is it less dense? I was wondering if they found clear weighting agents, but I couldn't find any details about gyro-ness of the prism molds.

the plastics are always the same given the overmold and core but would be 99% sure that the prism have none of the wt agents as that is what makes them very clear. At least that was what MVP has said previously when proton was developed and were able to make a clear core with a overmold yet still be max wts. I would assume these are more just like a proton trace but 2 part mold not any true gyro. I don't think it is possible but if anyone is going to expand that side of the disc tech it is MVP.

Well I've often heard about the denser outer mold... I've also read that by increasing the weight in the rim they get more gyroscopy ..hahas screw you spell check... as far as it being heavier I don't know if I've actually heard it phrased that way but the assumption is yes. Assuming a proton material is less dense than say a plasma core, maybe heavy core light rim hmmm there's probably bonding issues.

Photons yeah I like my stash of two I think I'm going to stock up on a few more I've got two more put aside at the 145 and 155g seriously thinking about a heavier one... what was that issue with new fission runs? Less stable? That would work for me, I could get a 165.. My 143 is a crazy day noodle arm bomber!!

those seeking the US photons I don't understand why not just get a vanish or similar mold. I loved the wave/vanish/virus for what they were when bagged along side of the photon/tesla/volt and didn't have to worry about a 175g flat fission photon vs 147g domey just same wts but unique molds and much easier to throw consistently at your preferred wt. Yes the 140g tesla/photons can bomb but so do the 150 class normal MVP drivers too that are US. Hell the orbital is the longest flat line drive I ever have thrown and not something I would use regularly at all BUT.....:popcorn::D

I couldn't keep a Vanish in the bag longer than a month. Lost 4 or 5 of them after having the first one for the longest around 2 months. Apparently, those things were named appropriately...

Not like it matters anymore. My DG career is pretty much over at this point. My shoulder just keeps getting worse even though I hardly play and do light weight exercises to try and strengthen the muscles back up after breaks of not throwing. Only played twice since august and both times only made it a couple holes before it started hurting again.

Once spring comes, I will probably try to actually to learn to go lefty but i'm not sure my left knee can handle the torque...

Last edited:
master the FH roller and get some $4 114g lightning discs. can throw a super light upshot with the flick of a wrist! only problem is getting it to not bounce off the new baskets with heavy ass chains lol.

The fission I got had noticeable dome, which isn't necessary a problem. The problem with this one was the flight plate was very floppy and it was less stable than my flat plasma. I hated the feel, couldn't dial it in, turned it over into some high weeds and don't miss it.

I am however starting to dial in my 168g plasma.

those seeking the US photons I don't understand why not just get a vanish or similar mold. I loved the wave/vanish/virus for what they were when bagged along side of the photon/tesla/volt and didn't have to worry about a 175g flat fission photon vs 147g domey just same wts but unique molds and much easier to throw consistently at your preferred wt. Yes the 140g tesla/photons can bomb but so do the 150 class normal MVP drivers too that are US. Hell the orbital is the longest flat line drive I ever have thrown and not something I would use regularly at all BUT.....:popcorn::D

I don't have enough arm to get my Photon to flex when thrown flat; I basically use them like other people use PD's. My Waves on the other hand have lots of flex. So the thought of something that fits between a straight-to-fade power/control driver (Neutron Photon) and a full -2 turn/2 fade disc (Wave) is appealing. I've got other discs that get the job done, but I'd love to see if a gyro disc like a Fission Photon could fill that slot. Really I just want consistency in hand feel to match the other 21.5mm gyros I bag.

I don't have enough arm to get my Photon to flex when thrown flat; I basically use them like other people use PD's. My Waves on the other hand have lots of flex. So the thought of something that fits between a straight-to-fade power/control driver (Neutron Photon) and a full -2 turn/2 fade disc (Wave) is appealing. I've got other discs that get the job done, but I'd love to see if a gyro disc like a Fission Photon could fill that slot. Really I just want consistency in hand feel to match the other 21.5mm gyros I bag.

hell throwing 350+ a photon really isn't flexing and even beat up they generally are more like a faster volt pretty straight to fade while yes the wave is more of a turn and fade disc. Even at my power I prefer these days to throw the relay for those kind of lines and if someone wanted something with a little more juice but some turn/fade I would say a inertia like mold is the ticket vs trying to find a sweet spot faster driver which is always going to be much more speed sensitive. You can max out slower molds and carve up many more golf lines with US stuff while OS faster ones tend to be more of the same regardless. If you don't have the speed for some of the faster other US molds you get random results.

Don't have to match each speed for a different shot just need to learn how to use the different speeds for the unique shots. US can be stretched out much longer D vs OS molds at every speed level and are also able to fly more lines from fade to turn and straight etc.

Last edited:
So the thought of something that fits between a straight-to-fade power/control driver (Neutron Photon) and a full -2 turn/2 fade disc (Wave) is appealing. I've got other discs that get the job done, but I'd love to see if a gyro disc like a Fission Photon could fill that slot. Really I just want consistency in hand feel to match the other 21.5mm gyros I bag.

That is what I use my Fission Photons for. They are perfect between my Neutron Photons and my Waves. I prefer them in the 160-170g for that shot. Lighter and they start becoming more like the Wave but with less stability in the headwind.

That is what I use my Fission Photons for. They are perfect between my Neutron Photons and my Waves. I prefer them in the 160-170g for that shot. Lighter and they start becoming more like the Wave but with less stability in the headwind.

164g-ish slight dome?

Some runs have more dome than others, except for the FR. Those are faf but my heaviest in those are 163g. The new release of 170g+ have less dome than the 160g Photons but have a slightly higher PLH.

even the FR I remember ordering were all over the place regardless of weights. dome flat 143-155g-170g it was a crap shoot.

Forgot I even had some 134/5g back then.

Last edited:
giphy-downsized-large.gif

Pretty happy with what I can do with a 158 SE Vanish.. Love the stamp nice even understable bomber when I have questionable power. I had some issues keeping my 155 Wave consistent.. It handled without flipping real well and straight hoooboy.. But I'm a little underpower on that one last year. Better off with my 155 and 173 Inertias. The 155 can do a nice fairway to max distance range for me, laser straight. Ran the Vanish beside the 143 Photon to bookend the Inertia.

As far as I can tell they are my max distance setup for 350' arm..

The Photon was magic for me thru the tourney season really good Disc for tunnel shot uphills and a good error margin for a more open flex shot I could turn it a little too much and it always came back, did max distance. Also good for a mildly torqued FH and it filled in as a stable mid/fairway. It just hit my sweet spot for power across a lot of ranges.. Not as good as I would have liked in the wind. Flat top on both though. Since I've disced down the Switch is it's replacement but worse in headwinds.

Last edited:
Ok, threw another buddy's Wave. A Heavier Neutron, beat in, about 7/10. I threw it on a hyzer -> flip to burn. I tried it again with a deeper hyzer and it still burned.
I threw some other discs just to make sure my form was on, but it was fine.....

Yeah, the HoF FX run is much more stable than the other runs.

^time limit.

I use my Wave for low line shots usually. The throws above were both low lines. Given enough height, I think it would have caught to flat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts