• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part IV)

Status
Not open for further replies.
^yea maybe .25 of a point more turn but I think its more about the added glide that plasma seems to have that makes them a tad less OS than N or P...

So I got out to do some field work last night - I tested my whole spring bag lineup - but now I'll just focus on these: Proxy and Atom
_____

I was able to work with an open field, some elevation, wind (headwind, cross, tail) here's what I find with stability

Most Understable to most Overstable

Beat Electron Atom, Plasma Proxy, Lightly used Electron Atom/Neutron Proxy (about the same), Fresh Firm Electron Atom/Neutron Atom (about the same- Elect maybe a longer hold on the straight portion), Proton Atom

In terms of plastic I think we all kinda know: Electron (beat, mild use, fresh), Plasma (which is more stable than a used electron but about the same or less than a fresh electron, Neutron (pretty neutral and overall stable), Proton (a little on the OS side but not by a lot)

I tested the Proxy and Atom a lot as I am still liking both but do not need to bag both unless its a mixture of the more US and more OS versions of each . My conclusion...they are both good and it just depends on how you feel----overall the Atom is a little more headstrong (more zip, touch faster touch more fade) - in windy conditions or a longer course or tall grasses I would go atom, if call smaller course the Proxy is great - Tunnels....Either, but Long tunnel ATOM shorter tunnels Proxy - I feel the proxy powers down smoother and still holds a straight line, Atom handles the power better and holds a straight line....all in all they are VERY VERY similar.

Sorry if this is confusing - Proxy and Atom have to be the smoothest/nicest approach putters I've ever used.

PS: I think the Proton Envy is close in stability to my Neutron Envy and I much prefer the Proton Atom----I hate to say it, but I don't really use the Envy anymore.....and its weird....because that disc rules.... :( I wish the stability was a little more different because I wanna use a proxy atom and envy all the time I just cannot justify using the space and mixing it up like that, for now im putting whatever discs I feel like, which is cool, but does affect consistency and if I want to get better and actually cash in open....I may have to choose....or whatever do what you want ;)

Last edited:
Plasma shocks. I like that a lot actually. Shock is a disc that gets overshadowed by the volt but I think now that it's in plasma it's gonna fit really well and compliment and amp well. Good move MVP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone tried to dye Axiom rims?

If so how did it go?

Here is one of the Watercolor discs from Marshall Street... Neutron Mayhem

Mayhem_Neutron_Watercolor_01.jpg

PS: I think the Proton Envy is close in stability to my Neutron Envy and I much prefer the Proton Atom----I hate to say it, but I don't really use the Envy anymore.....and its weird....because that disc rules.... :( I wish the stability was a little more different because I wanna use a proxy atom and envy all the time I just cannot justify using the space and mixing it up like that, for now im putting whatever discs I feel like, which is cool, but does affect consistency and if I want to get better and actually cash in open....I may have to choose....or whatever do what you want ;)

So you're saying you'd like to trade me one of your black neutron heart of the chains Atoms for my lightly used proton Atom?

Done deal!

Sorry if this is confusing - Proxy and Atom have to be the smoothest/nicest approach putters I've ever used.

PS: I think the Proton Envy is close in stability to my Neutron Envy and I much prefer the Proton Atom----I hate to say it, but I don't really use the Envy anymore.....and its weird....because that disc rules....

Hey thanks for the in depth review.... That's a long one that I'm happy to read every word, I appreciate it. Sounds like I'm going to be pretty happy with the Atom when I get it... I know what you mean about the Envy, the latest putters they are offering are awesome.. It is always tempting..

Hey thanks for the in depth review.... That's a long one that I'm happy to read every word, I appreciate it. Sounds like I'm going to be pretty happy with the Atom when I get it... I know what you mean about the Envy, the latest putters they are offering are awesome.. It is always tempting..

The Neutron Atoms I got are extremely flat - profile-wise All atoms are about the same, but for flight and profile feel - the Neutron feels very similar to the Electron Firm. And its laser straight. I kinda like that, as it flies exactly like a fresh electron firm, but won't wear in like electron. I'm happy my Protons are noticeably more overstable, that way I have a little variety if I need it. Yeah I think everyone will be happy with the neutron atoms - they are the new 'best disc ever' I think. I compare the Atom now to the Buzzz 10-15 yrs ago. It's the disc that EVERYONE can use and everyone uses it a lot. Its straight, comfortable in the hand and overall just great. I'm a little surprised more people don't use it. In my area I think I've seen 1 or 2 other people use an atom. oh well, their loss :\

I'm even more pumped up now that laser straight putter/ mid slot is the one I'm trying to fill. If it is flying like a short Buzzz that's excellent!
I liked what Graham was doing with em + the stamp= gotta try em.

I had some friends from Nanaimo come down to play a month ago, it was cool but I got the sense that they were kind of against MVP they'd tell me there was an "overmold" here and it sounded kinda snotty. It was one of very few experiences I've had where people are prejudiced against em.

I have been slowly accumulating MVP/Axiom discs over the years, and can now make a pretty complete bag. Shot a pretty good score for me last week with that line up. The only thing I really feel I miss is in the max distance category. I just really miss Terns/Shryke/Destiny I guess. Waves are great, but the MVP uniformity is somewhat of a curse. They fly too much alike lol. I feel like the molds to the left of Wave are too OS for me. Would love to be in a shop with a stack of them to compare. May work on getting more in the Octane/Catalyst class. Seems to me the Axiom molds never come out as US as described, so those haven't worked out for me. The Defy is a meathook, and I probably went too light on my Vanish for a downwind bomber. This is just for fun/change of pace anyway.

recently i have done the same moving into a all mvp/axiom bag. I am old amd moved down to throwing 150 class for any thing over speed 6 and the mid 160's for slower stuff (except putting putters 172). I feel like the mvp 150 discs fly closer to what the heavier discs fly like for bigger arms.

I'm even more pumped up now that laser straight putter/ mid slot is the one I'm trying to fill. If it is flying like a short Buzzz that's excellent!
I liked what Graham was doing with em + the stamp= gotta try em.

I was a huge Buzzz guy years ago. The Atom for me scratches that itch big time, just obviously with a little less distance. What a great mold.

Recently I've been using them for a lot of forehands too which has really jazzed up that part of my game.

I was a huge Buzzz guy years ago. The Atom for me scratches that itch big time, just obviously with a little less distance. What a great mold.

Recently I've been using them for a lot of forehands too which has really jazzed up that part of my game.

I have a habit of flicking my Proxy on holes under 300' after I throw my real shot. Half the time it ends up better than the first throw :doh:

The Proxy and Atom are surprisingly controllable for me on 200-250' flicks.

I'm back with a little update on my MVP endeavors. I received my 178 Neutron Vector, and a 174 Proton Volt in the mail, and grabbed a firm electron Atom, and a 168 Neutron Photon from the used bin at my local pro shop for $5 and $7 respectively.

The Vector looks and feels a lot like a roc, but I haven't fully figured out how it flies yet. It definitely seems less stable than most Rocs. Though it has no real turn, I have to power it down do have it fly with the fade of a rancho roc. On a nice power shot this thing just goes so far on that straight line before fading, similar to an Emac Truth in flight. 5-5-0-2

The Volt I have is puddle topped, fairly stiff red proton plastic, and this thing is beefy. it's no firebird or anything, but it's more stable than my 169 blue eternal 2nd run Alpha. wants to go about 275 then fade decently hard. seems like it would handle a decent wind, haven't had the chance to throw it enough to know for sure. 8-4-0-2.5

The Atom is my favorite other than the Tangent I have. For putting I love the firm Electron, I like the low profile compared to my Voodoos, it fits well in the hand and seems to come out with less wobble on my hyzer spush putts. for throwing this thing is like the tangent with even less fade. I haven't thrown it on too many hyzers, but flat it just kind of goes laser straight unless there's a lot of air under it, then it holds a slight drift right to the ground. holds turnovers well. 2-3--0.5-0

And the Photon. It feels like the same rim width as my wraiths, it has a similar very flat profile to my wraiths, but my god is that wing sharp. It feels like holding onto a steak knife or something, I'm probably gonna have to gently sand the rim flashing down. in flight this thing holds hyzers well, on good rips it'll flip just a smidge, I probably don't have the arm to be getting a full blows S-shot out of this disc. it's nice for fairway skip shots and downhill rips. 12-4-0-3

I'm hearing good things about the Relay, and since my new MVP bag doesn't have an understable driver I think that's going to be the disc I persue next. I'm enjoying all this testing so far.

I'm back with a little update on my MVP endeavors. I received my 178 Neutron Vector, and a 174 Proton Volt in the mail, and grabbed a firm electron Atom, and a 168 Neutron Photon from the used bin at my local pro shop for $5 and $7 respectively.

The Vector looks and feels a lot like a roc, but I haven't fully figured out how it flies yet. It definitely seems less stable than most Rocs. Though it has no real turn, I have to power it down do have it fly with the fade of a rancho roc. On a nice power shot this thing just goes so far on that straight line before fading, similar to an Emac Truth in flight. 5-5-0-2

The Volt I have is puddle topped, fairly stiff red proton plastic, and this thing is beefy. it's no firebird or anything, but it's more stable than my 169 blue eternal 2nd run Alpha. wants to go about 275 then fade decently hard. seems like it would handle a decent wind, haven't had the chance to throw it enough to know for sure. 8-4-0-2.5

The Atom is my favorite other than the Tangent I have. For putting I love the firm Electron, I like the low profile compared to my Voodoos, it fits well in the hand and seems to come out with less wobble on my hyzer spush putts. for throwing this thing is like the tangent with even less fade. I haven't thrown it on too many hyzers, but flat it just kind of goes laser straight unless there's a lot of air under it, then it holds a slight drift right to the ground. holds turnovers well. 2-3--0.5-0

And the Photon. It feels like the same rim width as my wraiths, it has a similar very flat profile to my wraiths, but my god is that wing sharp. It feels like holding onto a steak knife or something, I'm probably gonna have to gently sand the rim flashing down. in flight this thing holds hyzers well, on good rips it'll flip just a smidge, I probably don't have the arm to be getting a full blows S-shot out of this disc. it's nice for fairway skip shots and downhill rips. 12-4-0-3

I'm hearing good things about the Relay, and since my new MVP bag doesn't have an understable driver I think that's going to be the disc I persue next. I'm enjoying all this testing so far.

Try giving the Vector some hyzer. They're funny that thrown flat they want to hold that release angle until they slow down, but given some hyzer they can fly some pretty hard curving lines. I feel like to a degree release angles affect overmolded discs more than similarly shaped discs with no overmold, but I have nothing but conjecture to back that up. Either way I'm surprised yours compares to a Truth, the truths I tried were more understable than my Axis.

Volt & Atom sound perfectly normal.

Photons show hardly any turn for me even at 500-550', unless they are <165g fissions, and even then it's not a drastic S curve or anything. I'd liken them to a faster T-Bird.

Relay sounds like a good fit. Good luck!

I have a habit of flicking my Proxy on holes under 300' after I throw my real shot. Half the time it ends up better than the first throw :doh:

The Proxy and Atom are surprisingly controllable for me on 200-250' flicks.

Electron Atoms are a blast inside 260-70' for me on touchy forehands, and Ive had a few 300-320' ace runs with particles lately too. Hopefully I can keep that up and it'll be just as much a signature part of my game as the stand and deliver.

Status
Not open for further replies.