• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part V)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was talking to the artist last night, I asked him why "Bendy James" is bending.. I thought maybe some ethereal plain or some water kinda thing I didn't think it was highjump which was my first thought on seeing it. He said

"Dude have you seen James throw? That guy is beeeeeendy!!!"

So mystery solved. Haha. That is all.

I was talking to the artist last night, I asked him why "Bendy James" is bending.. I thought maybe some ethereal plain or some water kinda thing I didn't think it was highjump which was my first thought on seeing it. He said

"Dude have you seen James throw? That guy is beeeeeendy!!!"

So mystery solved. Haha. That is all.

Interesting. Idk why I thought the design was James' idea. Thought I read that somewhere.

TBH, I'm not a big fan of the art though, I can't think of the word for it, it's not exactly rudimentary, but something like that, though I get why some people like it.

Interesting. Idk why I thought the design was James' idea. Thought I read that somewhere.

TBH, I'm not a big fan of the art though, I can't think of the word for it, it's not exactly rudimentary, but something like that, though I get why some people like it.

I don't know if it was James's idea... I own one, haven't thrown it, it's part of the JC shrine haha.

I wasn't particularly Gaga over the design either, it looked like JC was uncomfortable. Haha.

I seriously don't get calling Virus, Insanity, and Tesla a Fairway. I feel like Fairway at most, tops out at 8 speed.

I dunno haha, I'm with you but if you're like me and throw 155g I can even use a wave as a fairway... but yeah I think fairway typically is the 6-8 speed range.

I dunno haha, I'm with you but if you're like me and throw 155g I can even use a wave as a fairway... but yeah I think fairway typically is the 6-8 speed range.

I think it's more about distinction of category, more than individual use. Some people use 14 speeds for OS approaches. It doesn't change the disc and make it fit in the putt/approach category.

Lately, it seems some have been considering speed 10 & 9 as fairways. Might be time for a redefining drivers (i.e. distance, fairway) especially since there is a speed 14. But I agree, 6 - 8 speed should be seen as fairways.

Lately, it seems some have been considering speed 10 & 9 as fairways. Might be time for a redefining drivers (i.e. distance, fairway) especially since there is a speed 14. But I agree, 6 - 8 speed should be seen as fairways.

For a while, people were calling 9-10 as "Control Drivers". I thought that had stuck, but I disappear for a year and a half, and suddenly people are calling them Fairway.

For a while, people were calling 9-10 as "Control Drivers". I thought that had stuck, but I disappear for a year and a half, and suddenly people are calling them Fairway.

I blame Paul calling the Anax a fairway. The control driver terminology is what I think of for those as well.

I've been waiting for an opportunity like today.
Windy, 30s, rain/sleet mix, half melted snow in the field. Most importantly a few extra minutes to throw.

I've been throwing mainly my Electron putters (Proxy, Event, Atom, Nomad) this winter, not much else.

I decided to throw Axiom / MVP mids and OS putters for field practice today, just to focus on grip and compare discs.

I learned a few things (ymmv, of course)... By the way, all discs are pretty new with the most worn having just 5 or so throws on each before today.

STABLE: My Eclipse Reactor has considerably more fade than my Neutron Reactor. Neither has great grip on a cold, sleety, rainy day. (side note to self... Eclipse Reactor with a white rim is NOT good choice to throw in a snowy field during the daylight).

UNDERSTABLE: the Uplink feels a bit better than the Paradox in the hand to me. The main difference I noticed is throwing with a tailwind the Paradox flew straight, the turned. However the Uplink flew straight followed by a fade. There was too much wind to try much else US.

OVERSTABLE: this is what I was anxious to try...
Proton Deflector is probably too Overstable for my needs. I didn't get much more distance than the Entropy, doubt I will bag the Deflector this season.
Entropy: the Plasma and Neutron flew similar, landing within a few feet of each other. Neither had great grip. Plasma was terrible grip unless I really dried it well. Dried well the Plasma was great cold, but not rainy. Pyro is where I was really surprised... I already knew I like the Pyro. More distance than the Entropy by a quite a bit, but even a bit longer than the Reactor. The Pyro flexed nicely. The real surprise was the grip. Even 30s and sleety, rainy... The Proton Prism had a decently flexible flight plate and stayed nicely grippy even not dried. I could pick it up from an icy puddle and still grip it great. I wondered to myself if perhaps the additional distance over the Reactor was due to better grip.

I look forward to trying to bag gyro mids this season and see exactly what I decide to keep and what I drop.

Anyway, long and rambling, but it was fun...

I recently picked up a Plasma Entropy to compare to my Neutron one and they fly similar to me. I use the Pyro / Reactor / Hex because they all fly beautifully and feel very similar in the hand to me.

I know this is a really unimportant detail, but just wondering what color combo you like or dislike.

For instance I hear a lot of hate for the pink / red, but I have a paradox with a pink flight plate and red rim. It is so easy to find.

Tye dye dark colours... and the plasma with the cool gold and light orange rim, it's exactly the same colour as dead grass. Probably my most hated so far.

I used to dislike pink but I like easy to find.

I know this is a really unimportant detail, but just wondering what color combo you like or dislike.

For instance I hear a lot of hate for the pink / red, but I have a paradox with a pink flight plate and red rim. It is so easy to find.

Anything dark, harvest colors, or green on the dislike list.

Pink is hard to miss. Probably half the bag, at least.

Not sure exactly why I gravitated to it but all of my electron Envy's have pink flight plates. The rims vary (green, blue, black, red, etc.) which makes it easy for me to tell them apart when I'm bagging multiples but when I head down the fairway to find them the pink stands out year round.

I'm also a fan of the solid colors because even the brighter colors in the swirls seem to be harder to spot for aging eyes.

I throw mostly grey or white discs with white or pink rims. I just think the swirly grey with white rim looks the coolest, so mostly just building a theme.

I used to throw only blue discs because blue is easiest for me to see, but I don't lose a lot of discs, so I switched it up to what I like.

As far as what I don't like, I am red/green colorblind, so don't throw red, but I really just don't like colors that I feel clash or look garish.

Combos I really don't like:
Anything with Orange
Red/Yellow
Red/Pink
Purple/Red
Red/Green

For the most part, I don't like mixing warm colors together with nothing to tone them down. Especially because most colors come in pretty vibrant versions. muted warm colors aren't as bad, but to me, red/yellow/pink, is better as an accent, ie. rim, color, than a primary color, and the plate should be a cool color that doesn't clash, like grey, or blue, or neutral like white or black.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts