• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part V)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then after all of that you came home and decided to write a novel?

I do love when you find those new or like new discs in the used bin for cheap.

Lol after 3 hours and 3.5 miles walked I had about a 30 minute turnaround time to shower up and catch the Boston Marathon training gf for a speed workout. She's like 5'2 and 110 and I'm not huge but definitely not optimal long distance build at 5'11 and 175. I'm absolutely terrible in the heat so 81 in March was gonna kill me. Luckily she wasn't feeling speed so I got by easy.

Writing the book is the easy part😂😂😂

hexes are still stupid straight and stupid long for a mid. Amazing do all disc. Neutron reactor isn't necessary, pair them hex with eclipse reactor if you want distance and fade.

Came to the same conclusion, at least for the immediate future and that is exactly what I currently carry. I could see myself carrying a rotation of reactors but it's going to take some time to see that sort of wear.

My heavy neutron relays are too similar to upper 160's cosmic neutron craves…track down mid 160's relays for flip or maybe a signal?

I ditched the relay almost immediately after trying the new Hokom craves. Craves are exactly what I wanted as a work horse fairway. Try finding a Drift instead of relay. It performs how I expected the relay to perform. For the relay to be 6 5 -2 1 and the signal being 6 5 -3 1, they are not even close in terms of how they actually fly. The drift (7 5 -2 1) flies far truer to the numbers and is noticeably more US than the relay. It's a good compliment to some stable craves but I will probably pull it once my most beat-in crave gets to that point.

Newer proton and CN volts are dumpy if you don't get them up to speed, once you get on them a bit they do straighten out but still have a good bite at the end.

I've ditched the volt for the same reasons tbh. I liked it OK but between the spead 6.5/7 and speed 9, a volt sitting at speed 8 was just too much overlap for me.

Plasma insanity will be stupid long once I get a get a good consistent release locked in. I want to baby it because I think it wants to be flippy, but I think it'll take more power than I want to believe. Other plastics might be different? Not much difference between eclipse insanity and inertia. Kinda sad, inertia feels better in the hand and rides an overall straighter line, but just doesn't seem to pop off the hand like the insanity does.

The insanity is such a sweet disc. I have an eclipse, proton 172 and proton 160. The 160 is super sensitive to any wrist rotation and will immediately dump to the right if not thrown right, I don't currently bag it. The 172 proton is such a sweet flier but I do have to still mind the wrist. The down side to the insanity, at least for me is how much lateral movement is needed to get the full flight. In an area with mostly wooded courses this makes it more challenging to use as hyzer flipping anything more than speed 7 is something I am still working on developing.

Wrath vs Tesla…seems like the Tesla prefers a larger more sweeping fade vs the wrath being straighter longer with a strong fade once it slows down? My 157 CN Tesla flew much more wrath like but I'm sure that's due to the weight compared to the 172 proton Tesla. PLH on the new Tesla's looked pretty identical to my proton. I could see instances where the sweeping fade would work, and others where the straight to fade would work.

Definitely digging my wraths for this slot. I want something straight with a good solid fade and this is it. It's not nearly as OS as the 9 4 0 4 discs out there but I can trust it won't go right if I really rip on it. The crazy thing to me is it flew almost as far as my insanities which I didn't think I would see a Stable / OS speed 9 disc do.

Would the wrath be a good replacement for a thunderbird? Good thundies are impossible to find right now.

Would the wrath be a good replacement for a thunderbird? Good thundies are impossible to find right now.

I would say, tentatively at least, they are what I wanted thunderbirds to be. Straight with a good amount fade but not too much that they overlapped with my predators. I would say give one a shot and see what you think. I don't throw the thunderbirds anymore because of the wrath/glow insanity.

I ditched the relay almost immediately after trying the new Hokom craves. Craves are exactly what I wanted as a work horse fairway. Try finding a Drift instead of relay. It performs how I expected the relay to perform. For the relay to be 6 5 -2 1 and the signal being 6 5 -3 1, they are not even close in terms of how they actually fly. The drift (7 5 -2 1) flies far truer to the numbers and is noticeably more US than the relay. It's a good compliment to some stable craves but I will probably pull it once my most beat-in crave gets to that point.

Definitely digging my wraths for this slot. I want something straight with a good solid fade and this is it. It's not nearly as OS as the 9 4 0 4 discs out there but I can trust it won't go right if I really rip on it. The crazy thing to me is it flew almost as far as my insanities which I didn't think I would see a Stable / OS speed 9 disc do.

Mostly agree on this. The first run of Hokom Craves basically flew like -2/1. The newer ones are closer to -1/1, but I find them more workable overall.

I hear the new Relays are true to numbers also though, it just took some growing pains for MVP moving production in-house to get there.

Disagree on the Drift though, on the sole reason that Solomolds are lame. Try a new Relay if you want that more understable flight.

Also, yes, the Wrath is straight money. When they were first released alongside the Insanity, I remember the first day I took the pair out to the course. There was a big open, like 600' hole on the course that I unleashed a full throw with both my Insanity and Wrath, and other than being left/right of each other, they were within 10' distance from each other.

The new Wraths fly like my FR did when new, so I'm super excited about them. I've dropped Insanities completely now and just use the Wrath as my main driver.

The Trace is probably the best Streamline disc. Usually when I travel I'll bring a couple so I don't risk losing my precious Wraiths out of state.

Mostly agree on this. The first run of Hokom Craves basically flew like -2/1. The newer ones are closer to -1/1, but I find them more workable overall.

I hear the new Relays are true to numbers also though, it just took some growing pains for MVP moving production in-house to get there.

Disagree on the Drift though, on the sole reason that Solomolds are lame. Try a new Relay if you want that more understable flight.

So yes, the new Hokoms are much closer to the actual numbers which are the Hokoms I refer to. I bought a relay last month from DFX discs and it flies like a shorter hokom crave. I can concede it's the only one I've thrown but not at all what I wanted. The Drift flies exactly like I wanted a 7 5 -2 1 disc to fly so to me it's not lame. Oh and the Trace is easily my favorite speed 11 although I do want to try a fission photon.

So yes, the new Hokoms are much closer to the actual numbers which are the Hokoms I refer to. I bought a relay last month from DFX discs and it flies like a shorter hokom crave. I can concede it's the only one I've thrown but not at all what I wanted. The Drift flies exactly like I wanted a 7 5 -2 1 disc to fly so to me it's not lame. Oh and the Trace is easily my favorite speed 11 although I do want to try a fission photon.

I get other people like Streamline. I just have utter hatred in my heart for the brand, as I feel it devalues MVP's main 2 brands and dilutes the market with needless copies of other solo molds.

I get other people like Streamline. I just have utter hatred in my heart for the brand, as I feel it devalues MVP's main 2 brands and dilutes the market with needless copies of other solo molds.

have you listened to the interview with MVP_Steve that Trevor did? It talks about the creation and purpose of Axiom/Streamline and was not what I previously thought. I'm not suggesting it would reduce your hatred for Streamline but the context of its creation was cool to me.

have you listened to the interview with MVP_Steve that Trevor did? It talks about the creation and purpose of Axiom/Streamline and was not what I previously thought. I'm not suggesting it would reduce your hatred for Streamline but the context of its creation was cool to me.

I've heard his spin on it before. I didn't watch it though. I started to, but realized it's 45 minutes and I really didn't have time for all that at the time. I might watch it some time when I have more time.

I don't think it'll make a difference though. I get that they wanted to bring their brand more to the masses for stuck up people who would never throw an overmold, but I just think it was the wrong call.

In all honesty though, I probably wouldn't hate on Streamline so strongly if I hadn't been given a Pilot when they were released. I tried it, it felt terrible in my hand. I gave it to my wife, who gripped it for about 10 seconds and said "Eww, no!". So I sold it to a PIAS type place. But it made me realize just how badly MVP had messed up by making something so abhorrent.

I mean…it didn't even start with trying to reach the masses which is why I pointed out that it's a good thing to listen to. The Pilot certainly isn't for everyone but it is a very widely appreciated disc (not be me though it didn't click).

I mean…it didn't even start with trying to reach the masses which is why I pointed out that it's a good thing to listen to. The Pilot certainly isn't for everyone but it is a very widely appreciated disc (not be me though it didn't click).

Its gyro-bro is a beautiful thing though. I tried a proton Pilot hoping it was a good Ohm replacement. I didn't hate it but it didn't glide like the Ohm. Maybe Zen's on to something after all.

I enjoy this rant, I fully support you in your right to hate solomolds and rant. I don't hate them but I am a gyro snob. I tried the ohm first and got a pilot for glow, definitely a little something missing, I bet it's better in electron, kinda like the atom it should give it that extra glide.

I'm such a gyro snob though, I got given a K1 soft Falk that I've had some great results with 7 6 -3 1 1 (I think) I kind of have trouble giving it Bag space even though I've had some fairway ace runs. Mostly uphill straight tunnels (Still in testing). Also had good results with a glow Svea... Kasta plastic is nice..

I've always got a spot for the comet though I could conceivably replace it with a uplink/hex combo though right now I'm usually playing all 3... first time in years I've had so many mids in the bag. MVP's lackluster distance on the first gen mids made me really lean on the Envy and Relay. So, thanks?!

I'll have to find that interview with Steve.. Is it on YouTube?

Last edited:
I enjoy this rant, I fully support you in your right to hate solomolds and rant. I don't hate them but I am a gyro snob. I tried the ohm first and got a pilot for glow, definitely a little something missing, I bet it's better in electron, kinda like the atom it should give it that extra glide.

I'm such a gyro snob though, I got given a K1 soft Falk that I've had some great results with 7 6 -3 1 1 (I think) I kind of have trouble giving it Bag space even though I've had some fairway ace runs. Mostly uphill straight tunnels (Still in testing). Also had good results with a glow Svea... Kasta plastic is nice..

I've always got a spot for the comet though I could conceivably replace it with a uplink/hex combo though right now I'm usually playing all 3... first time in years I've had so many mids in the bag. MVP's lackluster distance on the first gen mids made me really lean on the Envy and Relay. So, thanks?!

I'll have to find that interview with Steve.. Is it on YouTube?

It's on YouTube with Trevor from foundation, it's also on Spotify.

Pilot is also a great 1 piece disc. I tried Envys, Ions, Atoms, Proxys but the one putter i instantly fell in love with, was the Pilot...

I'm almost scared to try a premium version. The last thing i need is to buy more throwing putters lol.

However, I do eventually want to try a Stabilizer. Haven't had a truly OS mid or putter in my bag for years. I would just use my Soft N Envy with some extra hyzer angle for those kinds of shots and would break out the Resistor if i needed a bit more distance or if a flex shot was needed. But my Envy has finally begun to lose its fade, so it doesn't quite have enough finish at the end of the flight to fight off moderate headwinds.

Its gyro-bro is a beautiful thing though. I tried a proton Pilot hoping it was a good Ohm replacement. I didn't hate it but it didn't glide like the Ohm. Maybe Zen's on to something after all.

Oh don't get me wrong I love gyro and I'm a believer in the science. The gyroscopic effect that MVP is targeting is real and tangible and it stands to reason that you get more glide/distance with the ohm all things being equal.

Status
Not open for further replies.