• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part V)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Flight numbers are just an idea of how a disc might fly. It really just comes down to how it flies for you. For me, at 63 with a 42 MPH throw, if a disc thrown RHBH ends up going left - it is overstable, if it ends up right - it is understable, and if it ends up close to center - it is neutral. But here is the catch with flight numbers....overstable for me, may not be overstable for someone else. A person throwing 60 MPH is definitely going to have a different result than me. About the only thing I get from someone else is about different plastics - how does this disc fly in each of these plastics? Or which plastic is the most neutral for this disc? Those should be pretty accurate for any arm speed; if I want disc A, but I want a mostly neutral version....and people say X plastic is overstable, but Y is neutral. I know not to get X plastic....it doesn't matter how much overstable it is (it might not be as overstable with my arm speed, but it would still be overstable).

Then what do you hand me when I ask for your most overstable disc?

The same. I, like a lot of people, use more stable and more overstable to mean the same thing. Not saying it's correct, but that's the way I hear it the most. To me, something that flies straight is my most neutral, not most stable.

I've taken to not saying stable, and saying more overstable or flippier or things like that to eliminate confusion.

Not saying I'm right. But I'm pretty sure I represent a large section of discers.

The same. I, like a lot of people, use more stable and more overstable to mean the same thing. Not saying it's correct, but that's the way I hear it the most. To me, something that flies straight is my most neutral, not most stable.

I've taken to not saying stable, and saying more overstable or flippier or things like that to eliminate confusion.

Not saying I'm right. But I'm pretty sure I represent a large section of discers.

I suppose if I asked you to hand me a beer you'd probably toss me an Old Milwaukee. Sicko.

Oh heavens no. Leinenkugels all the way!

Let me ask this. If "most stable" means straight, does "least stable" mean flippy? Why does the scale stop at the middle?

I dig their summer shandy on a hot day. By definition, maybe not a real beer but refreshing non the less.

As far as the discs, maybe the one number system Discraft always used wasn't a bad idea after all. At least you kind of had an idea what a -1 or a 2.0 was going to fly like.

Maybe rather than positive and negative numbers just make a 0 to 10 scale with a zero being something like a Franklin Albatross and a ten being a Titl.

I dig their summer shandy on a hot day. By definition, maybe not a real beer but refreshing non the less.

As far as the discs, maybe the one number system Discraft always used wasn't a bad idea after all. At least you kind of had an idea what a -1 or a 2.0 was going to fly like.

Maybe rather than positive and negative numbers just make a 0 to 10 scale with a zero being something like a Franklin Albatross and a ten being a Titl.

Heck with Discraft's single number. I liked the little arrow that showed the expected flight.

I mostly disagree with this. Discraft gave us one simple number that didn't at all inform us of how it got there, which I think is important. The 4 flight number system is very informative to everyone once you get used to it.

On one hand, let's say I've got average 300-350' distance on the course. I step up to a shot on a wooded course with several trees in the way. There's an obvious route that lets the disc turn right, then fade left to park it under the basket at 300'. If I pick up a 9/5/-2/2 disc that I've never thrown before, I've probably got a pretty good idea that I can get that disc to bend around the trees I need it to to make that shot. But if I've just picked up a Discraft disc that I've never thrown before with a .5 or 0 rating, I might not realize that it has both turn and fade and think it's more neutral, so I try more of a flex shot and it ends up kicking off a tree to the right.

And, let's say, for instance that I'm a 63yo with fading arm speed and I pick up a 9/5/0/2 disc. Even though my arm isn't as fast as it once was, I'm going to know this disc is going to be stable to overstable for me. If I pick up a 9/5/-2/1 disc, based on my experience, that might be neutral for me. Either way, once I know the 4 flight number system, as long as it's pretty consistent, I am informed on how it flies for me.

For instance, myself, a Patent Pending Crave flies pretty neutral with some fade, whereas a new model Crave flies with quite a bit of turn that I would call understable. Pre-flight numbers, if you were to ask me what the Crave was, I'd call it 7/5/0/1.5. When I saw the flight numbers that MVP added as 6.5/5/-1/1, I thought there's no way that's how a Crave flies, but yeah, apparently that's how they fly now, and that's what I would call my more recent Crave purchases that have those numbers. I feel informed that the flight is accurate, as I believe anyone new to the sport picking up a Crave would, even though for them it might fly more stable, their experience with it will cement what those numbers mean for their arm.

Heck with Discraft's single number. I liked the little arrow that showed the expected flight.

Except it didn't really show the expected flight. It was too short of an arrow to really show S curves. I forget which disc it was, but one of their drivers was like -3/3, but just had a straight arrow on it some 12 years ago or so.

Except it didn't really show the expected flight. It was too short of an arrow to really show S curves. I forget which disc it was, but one of their drivers was like -3/3, but just had a straight arrow on it some 12 years ago or so.

Good point. I should have said the expected end result - in your example, straight ahead.

Y'all know that "what is stable?" is right up there with "what is par?", right?

There are definitions. There are casual ways that people use the term. And the two don't exactly match. Cue endless discussion. :p

That's what Sharpies are for. Throw a disc, see how it flies, then draw the flight path right on top of the disc. When you step up and decide the shape of the shot you want to throw you just grab whatever disc has the right picture on it.

That's what Sharpies are for. Throw a disc, see how it flies, then draw the flight path right on top of the disc. When you step up and decide the shape of the shot you want to throw you just grab whatever disc has the right picture on it.

When I started out and really didn't know much, I did that on the bottom of my discs.

I will say, the MVP flight charts before they had flight numbers were generally very helpful before choosing a disc. Especially because they gave multiple flights based on power level. For the most part the charts were accurate with me falling kind of in the middle of the expected flights.

I think that was the spectra... easy to throw they said... all over the place! It might have been a 1 but lots of turn, lots of fade.

In some ways it was easier to just have one number, less bitching about .5's... or this or that. Speed rating is the most important # to me now, then the other ones.

Heck take the uplink in the two plastics.. 5 5 -3 0.5 (I think). Neutron I'd go 5 5 -3 0.25 but how do you describe the late turn? Soft id say 5 6 -1 0.5 depending on how hard and clean you toss it. I get my softs flying 5 6 0 0 most of the time

Last edited:
I guess TBH the uplink deserves at least a -1. Damn though I'm carving with that thing like my custom knives into a Thanksgiving turkey!

Anyone feel like discussing the rhythm?

I'm really taking a liking to that... I haven't run it against a relay but it's ability to go mostly straight and glide for days is making me feel like it's a longer uplink. I'm not gonna lie, I pooped it a few times but the results were still pleasing and to be expected lines.

Good distance, very straight more or less. Lost it uphill in the dark, too much anny for a hill climb , looked on the bottom circled around long, good thing it was way past and on top. Like 40' past. These are a deadly new series of molds.

Anyone feel like discussing the rhythm?

I'm really taking a liking to that... I haven't run it against a relay but it's ability to go mostly straight and glide for days is making me feel like it's a longer uplink. I'm not gonna lie, I pooped it a few times but the results were still pleasing and to be expected lines.

I'd love to discuss the Rhythm, but they are not in Australia yet. Sounds encouraging.

Still can't decide between a swag of Crave's or my Servo/Relay combo. Servo bombs, Relay feels better in my hand than a Crave, but the Crave goes a little further.

I keep going back and forth on whether or not I want to try a Rhythm. I currently throw a Hokom Crave as my turnover disc and a Plasma Crave as my stable/neutral fairway. I like the control I have with the Hokom. From what I've heard, the Rhythm is a little less stable or similar to a Relay, depending on the run of Relay.

So on the one hand, I have a Crave that I like the control of and I'm used to.

But on the other hand, I'd get to try a new disc and Rhythm might just be the coolest name for a disc in all of disc golf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts