• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part V)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK guys, I need y'all to talk me off the ledge because I am *this close* to pulling another gyro mold out of the bag. I love a beautiful hyzerflipped Vanish for max distance and tailwind crushes, but that thing just, well, vanishes. Half of my lost discs this year (3 out of 6) have been Vanishes. And I'm just not convinced that the uber-flippy distance driver is a slot that needs filling anymore.

I've tried to think back to how many strokes the Vanish saves me in an average month, and I'm pretty sure the answer is 1 at the most. Then I think how many strokes it costs me in the same time span and it's much higher. It's a sweet, sweet flyer when all cylinders are firing but when not it gets ugly in a hurry. Maybe 9 speed discs are the fastest flip monsters I can reasonably bag. Faster than that and the understability and speed combo just gets unruly too often.

The new Electron blend is the best yet. I agree the early Electron warped and clovered super easily. The Electron Proxies have a higher shoulder than any of the other plastics and they have held up quite well in the woods. Sure there are rim scratches but the flight plate shows no warping. The Electron Entropies are also holding up a bit better than the older Electron. I put more force into these and they tend to fade harder -- resulting in more stress on the disc. The oldest one I throw has one slight warp but it still holds up great. I have not seen if there are any Atoms in this newer Electron blend but you might want to check it out once Atoms are restocked in the newer blend.

Good to know. I've never bonded with a putter quite like the Entropy. The flat top and faster edge plays well for me on approach and in the circle. I can also forehand roll them a long way. A sticky electron would be nice for catching chains. I like 'em pretty light - 167-168 - and I haven't seen any of the circuit ones in that range. I pop these out to about 250' with a slow smooth pull. I love the control and I don't have to torque them. Being a 4 speed really works well for me.

There's a big jump in distance for me from the 250' Entropy to the 350' Matrix. I throw my FR Matrixes (168-171) at just about every hole. It was the disc that was missing from my game for most of 2 decades. I now confidently park holes in that 300-350' range without a driver - which is just huge for control. I don't feel like I'm rushing on the teepad to get more torque and I actually throw these further than my 157 Craves.

I have my days where an Envy flies great for me. I have tried different weights and plastics. I'm back to 168 Plasma. There are drives where I'm impressed with it's flight - and I can hit 300' with them - but more often than not, I feel like it's dying off too soon. Like if it was a 4 speed, it'd do what I want - but at 3, it's not got quite enough speed out of my hand to net that 20-30' more feet I'm looking for. I keep hoping MVP will release like a 4 4 0 1 hybrid putter using the Entropy as it's core. I have my doubts that'll happen.

OK guys, I need y'all to talk me off the ledge because I am *this close* to pulling another gyro mold out of the bag. I love a beautiful hyzerflipped Vanish for max distance and tailwind crushes, but that thing just, well, vanishes. Half of my lost discs this year (3 out of 6) have been Vanishes. And I'm just not convinced that the uber-flippy distance driver is a slot that needs filling anymore.

I've tried to think back to how many strokes the Vanish saves me in an average month, and I'm pretty sure the answer is 1 at the most. Then I think how many strokes it costs me in the same time span and it's much higher. It's a sweet, sweet flyer when all cylinders are firing but when not it gets ugly in a hurry. Maybe 9 speed discs are the fastest flip monsters I can reasonably bag. Faster than that and the understability and speed combo just gets unruly too often.

I have the same problem with Inertias. I lost 5 last season. I've nearly lost one on numerous occasions this year and lucked out - finding them dangling from limbs, rolled into the underbrush, etc. Bad luck disc for me.

Fission Waves for the both of you!!!!

Ohm is 2-5-0-1 broken in Envy with more distance potential.

Fission Waves are crazy, long gentle anny turn from almost flat.. Gotta go somewhere open and really bomb em.

I'm out, gotta find my beer.

Last edited:
Fission Waves for the both of you!!!!

Ohm is 2-5-0-1 broken in Envy with more distance potential.

Fission Waves are crazy, long gentle anny turn from almost flat.. Gotta go somewhere open and really bomb em.

I'm out, gotta find my beer.

How do your Fission Waves compare to lightweight Plasma Waves?

How do your Fission Waves compare to lightweight Plasma Waves?

Less stable, I only tried throwing em in the woods so far and throwing them against my 155 plasma is next. Just easy to turn, real nice ride but you know :D of course they only showed up yesterday so: Honeymoon!

The highlight was long easy turning distance down a tunnel only about 200' when it should have stabled out (for an ace :D) it kept holding the anhyzer until it hit the tree at about 250. Would have been nice to know what full distance would have been.

The 148 is "almost" understable out of the box, the 162 (jiffy pop top) is the closest to the 155 plasma. It might be a touch less stable still. I threw a few hyzers over the neighbors trailer and they held the line well.

Tossed a few FH, burned a few haha but on the whole real gentle turn that it just didn't come out of until late when thrown flat (to touch of anny). On a hyzer FH they held the line and didn't flip much, you could see it try but still has that Wave kind of stability.

Threw some high anhyzer about 130' as well haha, held the turn and bent in 20' before stabling out. Point being they could double for fairway duties as well as max D

About my experience with Envy's I have two different run Plasma's and they are nothing similar in terms of flight and feel.

I only bag the firm one and I prefer the neutron Ohm to the soft ones. Ohm seems to have more glide and is also more resistant to high speed turn.

Last edited:
About my experience with Envy's I have two different run Plasma's and they are nothing similar in terms of flight and feel.

I only bag the firm one and I prefer the neutron Ohm to the soft ones. Ohm seems to have more glide and is also more resistant to high speed turn.

Yeah the softer or lower, flatter top will make it easier to turn. I'm guessing since the feel different the black one is a tall top or domed slightly. The dome creates moderation in turn and as it breaks in can make for more glide (or a slower hyzer finish).

The ohm has more glide, I don't know why it's more resistant to high speed turn unless you've had the blue plasma for a few years. Though the Ohm really just loves to fly straighter, I can **** the bed and it still goes straight-ish.

Last edited:
All I wrote above was about new discs. Out of the box, the old stamp (on the left) is way more stable and it's also made from a stiffer plasma plastic. When ripped hard on a hyzer release, Ohm holds straight, while new stamp Envy turns over. The old stamp Envy flips up for a while but comes out and fades earlier than the Ohm. I also can't put a heavy FH on neirther new Envy nor the Ohm. They both burn on heavy torque. I can get the Ohm to around 310-320 on a good throw - straight as an arrow.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the left stamp is the new one, but thanks for the input on the runs' differences. Wondering if this applies to other molds too, or just Envy. Kinda bummed if it applies to all molds, since I liked the more understable old plasma on some other molds.

Does the Spin come in Soft Proton, or even better Eclipse Soft? I currently putt with an Eclipse Soft Anode, but would like something that feels similar in the hand, but holds its line longer on outside the circle putts. The Anode just fades earlier than I would like on those putts. Thought I would give the Spin a try after reading about it.

I can find Medium Spins online, but I haven't found Soft anywhere.

Does the Spin come in Soft Proton, or even better Eclipse Soft? I currently putt with an Eclipse Soft Anode, but would like something that feels similar in the hand, but holds its line longer on outside the circle putts. The Anode just fades earlier than I would like on those putts. Thought I would give the Spin a try after reading about it.

I can find Medium Spins online, but I haven't found Soft anywhere.

The Spin was never produced in Soft Proton. MVP last year announced it was discontinuing using Soft Proton. They also listed several molds and plastics they were going to stop producing. The Spin was also dropped being made in Proton. Here is a link to that announcement last year. https://mvpdiscsports.com/news/update-to-the-mvp-discs-lineup/

The Spin was never produced in Soft Proton. MVP last year announced it was discontinuing using Soft Proton. They also listed several molds and plastics they were going to stop producing. The Spin was also dropped being made in Proton. Here is a link to that announcement last year. https://mvpdiscsports.com/news/update-to-the-mvp-discs-lineup/

Sad day. I like the soft proton for its feel and grip, especially in the winter. I guess I will cling to what I have.

So is there any soft plastic now in their lineup for their putters? Admittedly, I have been out of the game for years and just catching up.

Sad day. I like the soft proton for its feel and grip, especially in the winter. I guess I will cling to what I have.

So is there any soft plastic now in their lineup for their putters? Admittedly, I have been out of the game for years and just catching up.

They have soft electron, and they might still make some in soft neutron, but i'm not sure.
Very sad, my main putter is a soft proton Ion, I love that plastic. Great grip and super durable.

Soft Proton and Proton have been pretty inconsistent and I think that was the issue. As they grew, getting that consistency was the issue along with the fact that Soft Proton was pretty soft in terms of sales. I still have OG Proton Anodes that are labelled Proton and some are hard as glass and others are super soft. That being said, their new stock Proton is softer than normal Proton but not as soft as soft. I am not sure if they will release the Spin in anything other than Electron, perhaps Neutron or Plasma. If they do release it in Plasma that might be the one that you want for the softness. Besides the Reactor, I have been disappointed in their lack of a newer US putter or mid. Sure we still have the Spin, Theory, and Vertex out their, but there is no stock US putter or mid in premium plastic. I have some beat E. Matrix that fill that roll but I would like to have something in a premium plastic. I still bag a Theory but I never really gelled with that mold.

Besides the Reactor, I have been disappointed in their lack of a newer US putter or mid. Sure we still have the Spin, Theory, and Vertex out their, but there is no stock US putter or mid in premium plastic. I have some beat E. Matrix that fill that roll but I would like to have something in a premium plastic. I still bag a Theory but I never really gelled with that mold.

I agree. I'm in the process of beating in a circuit firm E anode for US duties, and have a worn circuit series plasma axis for an understable mid. I also bag a soft P anode, usually only use it for dead straight tunnel shots. I could go without it though, honestly.

Have been thinking about trying to beat an E matrix to an understable mid to pair with my proton matrix. Still might.. love the feel of electron plastic

What is up with this DFX site affiliated with MVP?

Im in a FB group and i keep seeing these dope azz discs with sick stamps. This is the first im aware of it

What is up with this DFX site affiliated with MVP?

Im in a FB group and i keep seeing these dope azz discs with sick stamps. This is the first im aware of it

I think Marm-O-Set posted that somewhere, disc subscription service for sweet dyes, he did the first one. Looked good, I liked his basket basher one better though. Well that's what I tell myself I can't do a subscription in Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.