• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part V)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do we know about the new Axiom Trance? Says Fairway on the PDGA page, with either a dodgy picture OR an interesting wing profile.

Surprise introduction of an Eclipse Proxy (thanks Josh!) into the bag yesterday. Almost unnervingly straight. Have been on a pretty steady diet of Stabilizers and am used to accommodating a little lateral movement. Looking forward to figuring this one out as it feels like it really might simplify things somewhat. The Eclipse plastic feels nice and grippy and I was starting to dial in the range toward the end of the round.

1k-Fission-Octane-SE-white-500x500.jpg

OK so how is there not very much chatter about these things!? Somewhere around about 156g? Holy do they bomb (for noodle arm players).. Truly awesome distance, I threw it on holes that didn't require a DD :D :D got some field shots, threw like crap it went very far.

... so far I couldn't find it because I thought it was shorter. People talk about the trace being the "missing link" but that's not cool for dudes that throw 155's.

So I totally haven't tested it properly, yay mail call... But I'm shocked. Grossly good distance rewarding some gross form.

"S:##t the bed distance", some might say.

Last edited:

OK so how is there not very much chatter about these things!? Somewhere around about 156g? Holy do they bomb (for noodle arm players).. Truly awesome distance, I threw it on holes that didn't require a DD :D :D got some field shots, threw like crap it went very far.

... so far I couldn't find it because I thought it was shorter. People talk about the trace being the "missing link" but that's not cool for dudes that throw 155's.

So I totally haven't tested it properly, yay mail call... But I'm shocked. Grossly good distance rewarding some gross form.

picked up a pair of these 156 and 158 they bomb total a faster Defy. man they release great out of a FH.

picked up a pair of these 156 and 158 they bomb total a faster Defy. man they release great out of a FH.

Haha I am a little torquey on my FH, but it's a backhand bomber for sure for me. I feel like I'm getting more turn out of it than my fission tesla (newrun 156g). I love turn with the bite and fight back, it allows for a wide margin of error.

Has anyone played in a Circuit Challenge this year? I'm in one this coming weekend and am wondering what the three discs are like.

The MVP Circuit Challenge page has the three discs and their flight numbers, but there's nothing like getting feedback from folks who have actually thrown them.

Where do I find these? I'm also in Canada. Haven't seen them available, yet the lightweight Fizz Octane release has been on my radar since it was announced. Frustration set in and I just forewent rent to place a large Innova order. It's fine. 165 Corvettes, 162 Shrykes, lighter weight Destroyers (and a whole pile of others) will keep me warm at night, right? Right?

Where do I find these? I'm also in Canada. Haven't seen them available, yet the lightweight Fizz Octane release has been on my radar since it was announced. Frustration set in and I just forewent rent to place a large Innova order. It's fine. 165 Corvettes, 162 Shrykes, lighter weight Destroyers (and a whole pile of others) will keep me warm at night, right? Right?
Infinite has a bunch. I held off because the review vids showed them to be fairly OS.

Thanks for the heads-up. Exchange rate and shipping cost are huge factors as a Cdn DGer. Always looking to support retailers on this side of the border, but Innova offered stupid-cheap shipping as well as stacked discounts. Kinda made it worthwhile, though would love to find MVP/Axiom retailers up here with reasonable prices. A Lab 2nd Signal recently cost me $22.99 (Cdn) + shipping. Uggh.

I throw mid 160s - don't like to throw discs over 11 so haven't tried the Octanes. Not a big fan of fission plastic though - find it warps quick. My solution to the "Trace hole" is to throw Proton Waves.

Okay based on this, I ended up stopping at the local shop and grabbing a 156 fission octane. First throw with it was into a headwind, on an uphill hole. I've never done well on that hole on my drives when the wind is blowing that way and often take a bogey. I won't lie, I still took the bogey, but that was due to a horrible up-shot, not the octane. Throughout the round where I normally would grab my tesla or fission tesla and I had the space left and right I grabbed the octane.

@ThrowaEnvy isn't blowing smoke here. This thing went consistently further and was not a hard disc for this noodle forehand to throw or control further than I have anything else on the drives I used it on.

I now do have to head back to the shop and get the pink 156 one for backup...

Have great rounds this weekend everyone!

Okay based on this, I ended up stopping at the local shop and grabbing a 156 fission octane. First throw with it was into a headwind, on an uphill hole. I've never done well on that hole on my drives when the wind is blowing that way and often take a bogey. I won't lie, I still took the bogey, but that was due to a horrible up-shot, not the octane. Throughout the round where I normally would grab my tesla or fission tesla and I had the space left and right I grabbed the octane.

@ThrowaEnvy isn't blowing smoke here. This thing went consistently further and was not a hard disc for this noodle forehand to throw or control further than I have anything else on the drives I used it on.

I now do have to head back to the shop and get the pink 156 one for backup...

Have great rounds this weekend everyone!

Hey glad you weren't disappointed!!! :D

I know it's way out of myspeed class, I know I shouldn't be throwing high speed drivers.... Haha. I also know I love a wide rim and light discs, I had to try it. Reminds me of my nuke and force days.. A bygone era...

Damn thing, I just settled in on Tesla/ Relay for my main drivers. Having trouble replicating my PP 155 tesla, got an offshoot 143 fission photon FR as well.. Pretty much the unicorns of the bag, I shelved my waves and insanity in favour of consistency, then I try that Octane on a whim, now I want to back it up x 3 haha.

That is the most impressive disc I've seen for a while besides the wave, only much more consistent and reliable. Don't get me wrong, I love the waves for easy distance but the octane is "sh#t the bed distance". I can throw it horribly and still hit max range.

I absolutely knew as soon as they made a high speed wide rimmed fission 150 class driver I would purchase it, no matter which mold.

Last edited:
I absolutely knew as soon as they made a high speed wide rimmed fission 150 class driver I would purchase it, no matter which mold.

I have been messing with my 158 Fission Octane. It goes far when I get it right but I find I'm late releasing it too much to trust it (or me). Feels like it catches on my fingers or something.

I've got small hands and lean on the 6-7 speeds a lot.

Hey glad you weren't disappointed!!! :D

I know it's way out of myspeed class, I know I shouldn't be throwing high speed drivers.... Haha.
...snip...
That is the most impressive disc I've seen for a while besides the wave, only much more consistent and reliable.

I so understand this I was checking out at the store I said "I have no business throwing this thing" and yet when I did...

Like I said earlier I hope they still have the pink one on the shelf...

Status
Not open for further replies.