• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part V)

Status
Not open for further replies.
*Than. Even the new phone believes (firmly) that I have a speech impediment. Thinking about wiping everything but the center text on the Vanishes, but I'll sit with the stamp for a few days first.

Interesting indeed, I see you quite like the Uplink :p. Does it hold up alright in a bit a wind?

As for my mid set up, I ended up buying a few discs from a local retailer (nothing like going through a stack of the same mold to pick the best feeling one!) to replace my now OOP Axis/Vector combo. I bought 2 neutron Hex, a Matrix and a Reactor.

I played 2-3 rounds and did 2-3 small field work session since, and I must say the Neutron Hex is a really nice flyer. It seems to be a perfect Axis replacement. To me, it's more comfortable in the hand, seems to fly a bit faster than an Axis, handles power very well (relative to my power anyway) and can be shaped quite nicely. I tested low line tunnel shot up to 240' or so and the Hex was perfect for that.

I didn't quite test the Matrix and Reactor enough though to figure out if they will complement the Hex or just be redundant. I have to find a way to throw them a little more to figure it out. Might have to leave the Hex out of the bag for a week just to force me to throw the other 2. I'm definitely looking at bagging a mid that's more OS than the Hex, so hoping the Matrix or Reactor will fill that slot, but I'm thinking I should have probably skipped either the Matrix or the Reactor to get something more OS to have wider spread covered.

And now, I must say I'm quite intrigued with the Uplink! It's definitely on my next purchase list. I'm a LHBH dominent thrower, so turnovers are definitely important for my game, and I realize I don't quite have anything US in my current set up. The Uplink will probably be perfect for my US mid spot.

As for US fairway drivers (speed 6 to 9ish), I don't see anything in the MVP/Axiom lineup that I want. I love the Crave (bought a few with the Hex and they fly great) and I'm sure a beat up Crave will feel amazing, but in the meantime, I'd really love an US fairway that I can throw on a small hyzer and just have it flip a little bit past flat and just drift the whole flight. I'm eying the Streamline Ascend for that. I'm gonna search the forum for other's experience with it, hopefully it's positive. I can get the Crave to drift for quite a bit on a flat release, but I have to juice it a little, and it still has a bit of fight at the end. I'm hoping the ascend allows me to finesse it a little bit and still get some nice anhyzer lines.

I also bought two Insanity (159g and 17xg, both Plasma). I've only thrown them a couple of times, and although I can get some turn out of them, I can tell they won't flip as much as I'd like for the time being (I'm sure improving my form and getting more power would help make them more US for me - Max distance is probably around 375' for now). I also think my release isn't quite right them just yet, might have to adjust my grip or something. I thought they'd feel just like my Tesla, but not sure it's quite the case. Need more testing I suppose. I've looked in the MVP network for a speed 9 that would be more US, but nothing seems too appealing for now.

Anyway, thanks for your reply, it helps me thinker about the bag and all. Fun stuff for sure.

My current mid setup is....

Uplink or two.

3 envy

Hahaha. I'd grab a uplink, reactor, hex. They are all fairly desirable, nothing will be a total replacement but it's a nice span between em.

The uplink has the glide of an axis and the control of a theory.

Hex is tangent kind of flight and body, but more of a axis replacement with good glide (but not quite as much) and a lower power requirement. If you used to boot it hard and get it powered up you will like the touch you get with the hex to range. It's a very straight disc though, on par but it doesn't cut the same extreme single angles.

Reactor turns easier than a vector but also holds straight better. It has a more reliable hookup but is less likely to turn and burn when you push it over as far. The vector does 5 degrees of anny before getting touchy, the reactor can shape a full spectrum of turn and always comes back to fade when you want. Depending on weight or if it's eclipse, it's a touch turnover mid or a straight pusher. Spans a huge range of shots in different weights. You will find it is between the axis and vector, kind of.

Not a huge fan of the paradox, it's good but touchy, im investing a lot of time in the uplink. It's the axis for a ten year older and 100' shorter me.

I'll pitch in here too. Prior to MVP releasing the updated mids I was throwing the Wasp/Buzzz/Meteor combo. Now I am using the Reactor/Hex/Uplink. I also carry the Pyro but I don't use it as much as the Reactors. In fairness, I didn't throw the matrix or axis much but I know the Matrix is still in production.

The reactor, if eclipse, is very stable, 5 5 0 2...but in fission or neutron it's 5 5 -0.5 1.5. A lot of times I am throwing it about 85% where I need something to stretch longer than the envy but have that reliable fade with no turn in flight. Full rip it can sometimes get a baby turn but I am finding out that at full rip I tend to hyzer the disc a bit so I don't always see the -0.5 of the Reactor or the Volt for that matter.

Maybe the os mid I'm looking for could be an eclipse Reactor then... I currently have the Hex, which I love, and a Neutron Reactor. They are both new though, so I'm not quite sure if the Neutron Reactor will differentiate itself enough from the Hex to warrant a slot. Time will tell (and Fall wind will probably help me figure it out as well!).

. . . I must say the Neutron Hex is a really nice flyer.

Agreed, I love the Hex.

I didn't quite test the Matrix and Reactor enough though to figure out if they will complement the Hex or just be redundant.

This is where I am with the Neutron Hex and Neutron Reactor. There is a fair amount of overlap, but there are also things that each can do that the other cannot. I may be going back and forth for a while.

Perhaps Reactor in another plastic (Eclipse?) would differentiate better from the Hex.

I also bought two Insanity (159g and 17xg, both Plasma). . . . I've looked in the MVP network for a speed 9 that would be more US, but nothing seems too appealing for now.

Recent Fission Insanity runs have been sort of gummy and pretty understable, without the finishing fade of the Plasma Insanity. I have been happy with 150s Fission Insanity in my understable driver slot. Might want to give them a go.

Interesting indeed, I see you quite like the Uplink :p. Does it hold up alright in a bit a wind?

And now, I must say I'm quite intrigued with the Uplink! It's definitely on my next purchase list. I'm a LHBH dominent thrower, so turnovers are definitely important for my game, and I realize I don't quite have anything US in my current set up. The Uplink will probably be perfect for my US mid spot.

As for US fairway drivers (speed 6 to 9ish), I don't see anything in the MVP/Axiom lineup that I want. I love the Crave (bought a few with the Hex and they fly great) and I'm sure a beat up Crave will feel amazing, but in the meantime, I'd really love an US fairway that I can throw on a small hyzer and just have it flip a little bit past flat and just drift the whole flight. I'm eying the Streamline Ascend for that. I'm gonna search the forum for other's experience with it, hopefully it's positive. I can get the Crave to drift for quite a bit on a flat release, but I have to juice it a little, and it still has a bit of fight at the end. I'm hoping the ascend allows me to finesse it a little bit and still get some nice anhyzer lines.

I really like my 180g soft uplink, holds up well in the wind, within reason :D it hasn't let me down but it hasn't started blowing too hard yet. Been pleasantly surprised with the extra stability of the lightweight soft neutrons. I see you like stuff light. The soft neutron is the more stable uplink. If I was ranking my bag of em my 177 neutron's are the least stable, then 166 soft, then its twin with more dome, then the 180g soft.

The relay is still a good disc for that speed 6 slot, hyzer flip to straight, it will become redundant when your crave breaks in more but it will also be beat in further too.. The 155's throw nice.

Your insanity's will break in, I had a plasma I wasn't thrilled by, worked it for about three months then it was getting there but then I lost it. Haha. Monocacy is the insanity guy... I threw some CN 155's last season, beefy!

Maybe the os mid I'm looking for could be an eclipse Reactor then... I currently have the Hex, which I love, and a Neutron Reactor. They are both new though, so I'm not quite sure if the Neutron Reactor will differentiate itself enough from the Hex to warrant a slot. Time will tell (and Fall wind will probably help me figure it out as well!).

Right now my max weight neutron hex and fission reactor have very similar HSS and the reactor is just a bit more LSS. Reactor/Uplink is my current set up. Otherwise it's pyro/hex. But I'm considering picking up a resistor or kaxe which may offer more coverage and eliminate the pyro

I'm glad you mentioned hss and lss of the hex and reactor! I'd say my limited throwing with both those discs (lhbh) goes in the same direction.
However, I played a quick nine from the shorts today with the purpose of improving my forehand. Every throws except for putts were lhfh. And I must say my neutron Reactor was so much easier to throw then the hex. The hss or oat resistance was much better. I felt like I could give it a good rip and it would just stay mostly straight then gently hyzer at the end. Nearly ace twice on 240ft shots.

While I was thinking the Reactor was redundant with the Hex, I think it's ability to handle my less than perfect fh form makes for a good argument to keep it in the bag. In fact, you might be correct when saying Reactor/uplink or Pyro/hex are duos that make more sense.

What about you, do you forehand your mids and how do they perform?

Right now my max weight neutron hex and fission reactor have very similar HSS and the reactor is just a bit more LSS. Reactor/Uplink is my current set up. Otherwise it's pyro/hex. But I'm considering picking up a resistor or kaxe which may offer more coverage and eliminate the pyro

Sweet, new discs are fun, hope you like it.
As for the Sarah Hokom Neutron Crave, I bought 2, along a regular run proton, and I noticed the plh on both my SH signature is higher than on the Proton one. It could be sample variation, or maybe the Sarah Hokom has just a bit more meat on it, which would make it an even better candidate for your forehand!

I did succumb and order a Fission Hex. Hoping it'll function as a sort of long Proxy and just keep going.

Separately, I was marveling again the other day at the Crave as a Hokom sig disc. It's not intuitive as a (checks notes) FH option.

Picked up a few Fission Waves to try out for a Flippy disc to pair with my Proton Waves. Considering trying the Zenith for a wind driver. Anyone tried the Neutron Zenith vs. Proton Wave.

I'd really love an US fairway that I can throw on a small hyzer and just have it flip a little bit past flat and just drift the whole flight. I'm eying the Streamline Ascend for that.

I've looked in the MVP network for a speed 9 that would be more US, but nothing seems too appealing for now.

Anyway, thanks for your reply, it helps me thinker about the bag and all. Fun stuff for sure.

Uplink does better than I expected, even with a bit of headwind.

Ascend or Relay depending on how floppy you want sounds like a fit for your drift disc.

As for 9's I currently roll Wrath, Inertia and then Impulse… I have two impulse one in max weight and one at 167. The 167 is way flippier than max weight and the max weight one is my main no wind hyzer flip disc currently.

I'm glad you mentioned hss and lss of the hex and reactor! I'd say my limited throwing with both those discs (lhbh) goes in the same direction.
However, I played a quick nine from the shorts today with the purpose of improving my forehand. Every throws except for putts were lhfh. And I must say my neutron Reactor was so much easier to throw then the hex. The hss or oat resistance was much better. I felt like I could give it a good rip and it would just stay mostly straight then gently hyzer at the end. Nearly ace twice on 240ft shots.

While I was thinking the Reactor was redundant with the Hex, I think it's ability to handle my less than perfect fh form makes for a good argument to keep it in the bag. In fact, you might be correct when saying Reactor/uplink or Pyro/hex are duos that make more sense.

What about you, do you forehand your mids and how do they perform?

I don't actually forehand much at all. But when I do I'm certainly going to be choosing a reactor over the hex. I still really like the hex and it has a place in certain situations but I'm more comfortable with the reactor

Picked up a few Fission Waves to try out for a Flippy disc to pair with my Proton Waves. Considering trying the Zenith for a wind driver. Anyone tried the Neutron Zenith vs. Proton Wave.

I've not had a proton wave but I have fission and eclipse and the zenith is a nice compliment to them. It's extremely straight with little to no turn and then a nice fade back at the end. I still think the photon is more OS…

I've not had a proton wave but I have fission and eclipse and the zenith is a nice compliment to them. It's extremely straight with little to no turn and then a nice fade back at the end. I still think the photon is more OS…

I like to throw Proton Waves flat and let them S out. I'm throwing 165s out to around 380-400'. I was carrying Neutron but they tended to turn over on me around 340-350' as my spin rate isn't the best. I'm hoping the Fissions will be flippers / anhyzer discs. I could really use something with a touch more beef than the Proton Wave for high wind days. I've got a Proton Tesla in the bag right now - but it's too beefy. I've carried Fission / Neutron / Plasma Photons in the past - the pre-patent plasma ones were the closest but the new ones are all too beefy for me.

As for my mid set up, I ended up buying a few discs from a local retailer (nothing like going through a stack of the same mold to pick the best feeling one!) to replace my now OOP Axis/Vector combo. I bought 2 neutron Hex, a Matrix and a Reactor.

I didn't quite test the Matrix and Reactor enough though to figure out if they will complement the Hex or just be redundant. I have to find a way to throw them a little more to figure it out. Might have to leave the Hex out of the bag for a week just to force me to throw the other 2. I'm definitely looking at bagging a mid that's more OS than the Hex, so hoping the Matrix or Reactor will fill that slot, but I'm thinking I should have probably skipped either the Matrix or the Reactor to get something more OS to have wider spread covered.

My finding is people who throw the Reactor, tend to carry OS / US discs to pair with it while players who throw the Matrix tend to only carry it and use multiple plastics to obtain different flights.

I've tried both - and stuck with the Matrix. It feels like a super-fast putter as opposed to a traditional midrange. I carry it in both Neutron and Proton - the Proton is slightly overstable while Neutron is stable and will hold anhyzers. It's like a longer faster Atom.

If you liked the Axis / Vector - you'll probably prefer the Reactor.

I don't carry overstable / understable discs. I tend to favor stable and vary plastic / weight. Right now, the 6.5 speeds are slim pickings. They cut several when they moved production in-house and they've done a poor job of keeping the remaining ones in stock (except the Crave which must be the top seller). But be patient - they've got a couple in the works (Rhythm and Cypher) that have been PDGA approved which should be released very soon. I believe the Rhythm will be the disc you're looking for.

I don't actually forehand much at all. But when I do I'm certainly going to be choosing a reactor over the hex. I still really like the hex and it has a place in certain situations but I'm more comfortable with the reactor

As a primary forehand player, I can say the reactor, or pyro is easier for me to get consistent results with than the hex or uplink. However when I get a good release and force the hex over just enough, and it then pulls out…. It is SO satisfying and goes so far! The uplink forehand hyzer flip is also a LOT of fun!

I consider the Hex to be my OAT detector, it definitely helps me clean up my forehand form!

Not sure when I'll get to hit a course - I'm re-siding the house at the moment. Spring 2021 bag is shaping up:

2 x 164 Proton Waves
2 x 163 Proton Defys
2 x 163 Proton Craves
1 x 153 Neutron Proton blend Crave
4 x 168 SE Neutron Matrixes
2 x 168 Neutron Entropys
3 x 168 Neutron Atoms

Lot of this is still in the rig from this post in March. Ditched the Defys. I lost a couple craves somewhere along the way. I use to carry the Proton Matrix - I've worked it back in and it gets thrown pretty heavy.

2 x 164 Proton Wave
2 x 163 Fission Wave (incoming)
1 x 163 Proton Crave
2 x 168 Proton Matrix
4 x 168 SE Neutron Matrix
2 x 168 Neutron Entropy
3 x 168 Neutron Atom

Obviously I try to work a course with the Matrix and slip my other drivers in where necessary. I throw putters and fairways roughly the same distance (300') and my mids 320-330' and DDs up to 400'. I really need a better fairway option - I'm just not a Crave fan.

As a primary forehand player, I can say the reactor, or pyro is easier for me to get consistent results with than the hex or uplink. However when I get a good release and force the hex over just enough, and it then pulls out…. It is SO satisfying and goes so far! The uplink forehand hyzer flip is also a LOT of fun!

I consider the Hex to be my OAT detector, it definitely helps me clean up my forehand form!

I have been surprised by the uplink FH, it did better than I thought. Mostly it's a get out of jail/ no other option shot.

Both of y'all is weird.. Haha, my hexes are 170g, my reactors are a 155 fission and a 175 eclipse :D but I find it doesn't handle the torque as well for me with sub 300 power. I find the hex just rides a straight laser line and is so reliable for me on a FH. That's how it got the bag space. I would have said the reactor turns a touch easier but fades harder, more of an S shaper. My FH game is admittedly sloppy and less advanced.

It's kinda like a Buzzz/ Wasp combo, I do prefer the 155 fizz reactor for BH.

Last edited:
It's kinda like a Buzzz/ Wasp combo, I do prefer the 155 fizz reactor for BH.

Man the buzzz/wasp combo was my jam for so long. It's honestly one of my biggest beefs with the reactor. I like that disc so much but it would be nearly perfect if it was 0 2. When rocking only two mids I use the fission reactor and uplink. But with more than two it's going to be the eclipse, fission, and uplink all the time.

Just moved some good spares to order another pair of the Plasma Vanishes from the pro shop. First impressions have been really favorable. More stable than the flight numbers and really comfortable in the hand. If you're on the fence, consider this a nudge.

My Zenith held its own this past Thursday on a mostly open course with what was left of hurricane Ian passing by 15-25 mph winds and gusting higher in Virginia Beach. When I used it placing the Zenith right where I wanted it, especially around water holes. First impressions great wind disc that will get another workout this Saturday with same type of winds forecast. I've had it for 6 weeks and an outstanding disc for hitting gaps on the heavily wooded courses I play, just need to make sure there's room for an ending fade.

I had a Proton Wave before trading it for something else 3 months ago, but I got more distance off of a Fission Wave, and the Proton would pop up on canopy courses, so I wasn't using it much.

Thursday was my second day for strong wind play, were getting into our windy season in Virginia Beach so I'm now feeling the discs out. I've been changing out my bag to MVP since April. Theses have been the superstars so far able to play from any wind direction. Neutron Relativity, Neutron Catalyst, Plasma Octane, Plasma Wave, Neutron Zenith, Neutron Virus, Plasma Insanity, Plasma Crave, Neutron Servo, Neutron and Eclipse Reactor, and Plasma Envy. Lots of 2nd and 3rd throws over 4 rounds so far.

Other discs still need to figure it out, I'll post on the thread later as I go along. We'll have winds up to 40 and gusting to 60 a few times over the winter, need to get that bag ready!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts