• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part V)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for a driver recommendation. Trying to see if something from MVP can supplant my Wraiths. I'm forehand dominant and I was getting my 171 Star Wraith out to around 385 on a flat release (We'll call it 375 golf distance, 385 - 395 on a max distance rip). It flies fairly straight with just a bit of a reliable finish to it. The MVP drivers I've tried so far all feel really good, probably better than the Wraiths, but are about 50' shorter on average.

I've tried a 174 Fission Wave, a 172 Neutron Zenith, a 152 Elaine King Fission Photon, and a 174 Neutron Trace.
- Light Fizzy Photon is pretty beefy. More so than my Gurthie Halo Wraith (which is seasoned a bit). I'm getting around 325 golf distance out of this one.
- Zenith feels great and I really enjoy throwing it. Maybe a bit more stability than my Wraith, but seeing around 325 average, 360 max distance.
- Fizzy Wave has a bit more turn than I'm looking for. Even the higher weight Fizzy Wave I tried out was still turning on me on a flat to slight-hyzer release. The distance was better, though. I was getting around 350 out of this one.
- Neutron Trace doesn't feel as good on forehand for me. The plastic is still a bit slick, but I expect that to develop a bit more grip as it gets seasoned. I'm just not crazy about the rim shape and the dome profile. I keep releasing it with a bit of anny, even when I don't want to. But even when I release it flat it has a tendency to turn, even more than the Wave. I get similar distance as the Zenith with the Trace, again, coming up short of what I get out of my Wraiths.

Is there something else I should try? I've seen in a few places that some people find the Defy a bit less stable than the Photon. Should I try a lightweight Defy? I would prefer not to go any higher than an 11-speed. Being forehand dominant, I don't find rims above 2.2mm very comfortable.

Or is the answer to just stick with Wraiths?

Maybe. Probably would have saved you a lot of typing too. Lol.

As a former Wraith thrower myself, I really enjoyed the Trace. My favorite Trace is really flat. I am not a forehand guy but I can't see how a forehand guy wouldn't like the feel for a forehand.

Kind of like Wraiths, the Traces can all fly a bit differently depending on how they mold up and the plastic. Most of mine are cosmic neutron for whatever that's worth.

Anyhow, beyond not seeing how a Wraith thrower wouldn't like the Trace I've got nothing.

Looking for a driver recommendation. ...

Is there something else I should try? I've seen in a few places that some people find the Defy a bit less stable than the Photon. Should I try a lightweight Defy? I would prefer not to go any higher than an 11-speed. Being forehand dominant, I don't find rims above 2.2mm very comfortable.

Every Defy I've thrown has been more stable than every Photon I've thrown, so I can't say that it's the best choice. You might have gotten a really beefy Photon though. I usually don't find them that stable.

Not the strongest arm here, but the best forward penetration (since the q is raw/final distance) for me with an MVP 11 speed has been a Plasma Wave at maybe 170? Would agree that the Defy is more about shape than carry.

Weirdly I've found the Vanish's to be most Wraith-like, but you've got 50' on me so you'd probably turn them more than you'd like.

I do have a light Fission Defy that absolutely bombs.

I got some 163 Fission Waves out today for a round. Very nice. Was playing a shorter tighter course so only threw a few times but they have some nice pop-up. I'll see how they handle a big course later this week.

traces are not wraiths

Correct, the trace is more Surge"ey".

Might make a decent complement.

...upon further thought a light fission octane might fit that bill. Probably the best wraith contender but it's been 10yrs since I threw innova.

Last edited:
traces are not wraiths

Why not?

I would say my two Traces are pretty similar to a couple of my Wraiths. Admittedly, I have probably fifteen Wraiths and maybe two of them fly close to the same. I suppose it depends which type of Wraith you're comparing the Trace to?

Traces are closer to Wraiths than any other MVP (or subsidiary thereof) product. It sounds like OP may be having grip or release issues if "I keep releasing it with anny....".
Traces from least to most HSS- all at or near max weight
Trace of Spades or stock Neutron
Plasma
Cosmic Neutron
Proton

If none of those work, revisit the Zenith in a lighter weight. Weight seems to make an enormous difference with the new mold.

This is not the end-all-be-all, but it does have useful information:

wraith surge trace surge ss.PNG

By this info, the Trace is actually closest in comparison to the Surge SS.
For what it's worth.

0666744.png

MVP octane
If you compensate for the extra 50' of distance/power required it might smooth that high speed turn out :D

8613388.png

Wraith

Last edited:
What has the flight been like for you relative to neutron hex's? Friggin love the Hex and I would love to have an excuse to buy more, lol.

Oh man, I have a 159 fission hex in my cart... and a glow 167 resistor, and a se fizz tesla... I didn't know there was a hex that light..

None of which I NEED... the resistor would just keep my Halloween collection going.. I F##n hate that thing. And I had an OG flat top, I doubt if eclipse will help, I'd rather toss a eclipse insanity (or inertia) 172 than a resistor 167 eclipse. Like I see how people love it, I do not.

Finally got my glitch, got a dozen throws in, 2 x 60' throw ins, went back to work. First impressions are encouraging, not a great touch disc but through and through its a gyro lid. Damn straight. I just hope it bends enough, could save some comeback putts and just be a hilariously easy short 9er kinda disc. Sh#t the bed straight, I was kinda hoping for paradox action at low speed, but its weirdly stable and straight, did I say that?.. Haha.... I gotta try for more motion out of it, but it's dark and I'm tired. I'm not losing it tonight.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts