• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part V)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My frustration with the MVP mids is the gap between the reactor and hex isn't enough IMO...at least for me. Reactor seems to want a more pronounced 'S flight' as it breaks in compared to the Hex being a laser beam. But for me, I'd ideally like to have a 5 5 0 2 that i could beat into something straighter or having a bit more flex to it...like the mustang or kotuku...i've just invested too much into MVP right now to make a switch. Eclipse reactor - fission reactor - fission hex isn't a bad shout by any means.

The Plasma Pyro's close to what you're describing, I think. The main reason it's out is my irrational commitment to symmetry and wanting three 5s and three 6.5s in the bag.

Right behind that though is that EVERY time I try something other than my non-swirly Resistor for an escape shot (where I'd be most likely to deploy the Pyro) I end up having a firm conversation with myself about how ALL escape shots are Resistors. Player one or two doesn't matter. Whoever's got the pink has it dialed. So it's also somewhat about not leading myself into temptation, to borrow from the liturgy, and keeping the options intentionally limited to the best one.

The Plasma Pyro's close to what you're describing, I think. The main reason it's out is my irrational commitment to symmetry and wanting three 5s and three 6.5s in the bag.

Symmetry is my problem. I'm thinking about carrying two reactors or wasps or mustangs or something. One beat one fresh. And bracket that with the resistor and signal which I love. But yes symmetry is what gets me in trouble too.

What is your straight flying & beadless throwing putter of choice in the MVP/Axiom lineup? The Proxy looks promising.

Gotta say that Zen and mas might be on to something. 177g fission Hex (red) and 175g neutron. PLH appears pretty close, the neutron seems to have a slightly more blunt nose. Threw them each about a dozen times and the fission does have a tick more stability. Noticed it more on the FH, seems to hold up a little better to some power. I might have even activated the mythical gyro effect.

Plastic is nice, medium firm flight plate, decent grip that should get better with some wear. Love the way it feels and throws. Gonna go into the winter bag for further testing. Also went back and traded some discs to get another one. 😁

Attachments

• PXL_20221007_221207156.jpg
    PXL_20221007_221207156.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 32
Just a heads up.. The PDGA disc right now is a Dorn/inscho collaboration yin yan crave. Looks amazing! I tried to snag pic of FB but itwouldn't let me haha.

Has their been any word yet on when regular Neutron Rhythms might be available to buy? I don't care so much about the stamp.

It seems like we have known this disc was coming for about 2 years and I still can't just go buy one.

I figured once the deadline passed they would be for sale all over but I have seen like 2 used ones.

Now that some of the recent fission runs have been out for a while what has been the consensus?

Mostly interested in the crave, insanity, Tesla, wave, and octane.

My local PIAS had skipped a couple mvp releases over the summer and just got a big shipment in, so I finally got to feel some of these up the other day. All were fairly domey, not sure how I feel about that.

I'm basically looking for something with a bit more flip than my regular throwers. Mid 160's cosmic neutron crave is a laser beam to 350, upper 160's plasma insanity out to 375. Been working on backhand a ton so haven't really been throwing much faster than an insanity or tesla.

Ultimately I'd like something that will flip and hold the turn a bit longer. Insanity and crave will track slightly but pretty much go straight with slight fade at the end.

Now that some of the recent fission runs have been out for a while what has been the consensus?

My local PIAS had skipped a couple mvp releases over the summer and just got a big shipment in, so I finally got to feel some of these up the other day. All were fairly domey, not sure how I feel about that.

I'm basically looking for something with a bit more flip than my regular throwers. Mid 160's cosmic neutron crave is a laser beam to 350, upper 160's plasma insanity out to 375. Been working on backhand a ton so haven't really been throwing much faster than an insanity or tesla.

Ultimately I'd like something that will flip and hold the turn a bit longer. Insanity and crave will track slightly but pretty much go straight with slight fade at the end.

The wave is probably what you are looking for... I haven't thrown many, I snagged a fission or two a while back but they definitely hold a turn and the distance potential is insane. You probably want one upper 160's. It may turn more than you want...

Fission tesla is a beast, even at 155 it will have zero turn.

Fission octane at 155 sample size of 1 is also a fun ride.. Huge distance potential.. I don't know if they flip and hold but on an anhyzer I can get them to bomb pretty far and straight with a reliable hookup.

I don't know if you will find something that will have a similar flight path to your crave and insanity.. But the octane and wave could go longer and probably sit on either side of your favs

Forgot to mention the wave I'm throwing is a 158 cosmic neutron. It's surprisingly stable for its weight, figured it'd be a flip machine initially but it flies pretty much like my plasma insanities but just a bit longer.

The wave is probably what you are looking for... I haven't thrown many, I snagged a fission or two a while back but they definitely hold a turn and the distance potential is insane. You probably want one upper 160's. It may turn more than you want...

Fission tesla is a beast, even at 155 it will have zero turn.

Fission octane at 155 sample size of 1 is also a fun ride.. Huge distance potential.. I don't know if they flip and hold but on an anhyzer I can get them to bomb pretty far and straight with a reliable hookup.

I don't know if you will find something that will have a similar flight path to your crave and insanity.. But the octane and wave could go longer and probably sit on either side of your favs

Forgot to mention the wave I'm throwing is a 158 cosmic neutron. It's surprisingly stable for its weight, figured it'd be a flip machine initially but it flies pretty much like my plasma insanities but just a bit longer.

Aaah yes it's a good complement that way.. Almost any other wave will be less stable. I haven't seen a fresh cosmic run, I think those came out same time as the beefy cosmic relays. Most of my waves are 155g flip machines.. Plasma is my most flippy, my fission is close behind, neutron is straight, cosmic is stable.

Picked up a fission 147g wave SE it's the least stable obviously haha. The 162g fizz throws like my 155 neutron, but I think when you go heavier than 165 you start to get the extra fission stability.

Last edited:

I like the fission crave quite well, almost as much as the Proton Crave. I'm not a big arm, but after a short break in period and a rough up on the teepad, my light Fission Craves both developed quite a bit of controllable turn with a very straight forward fade. Unfortunately one of the two is now sleeping with the fishes.

I'll ditto Throwaenvy. Since April I've been flipping my bag to MVP/Axiom. The Wave's are my main driver now. Up until last week a Wave 171 and 174 were my main drivers. Both dead straight in the beginning, the 171 after 4 months of use started getting to flippy on me and turning, so I traded it in for a Fission Hex, worked it on the practice field today and dead straight. I pulled the 174 and to spend some time with a Plasma Wave 171 and love it.

I still have a Fission Wave 162 and its a beauty I can flip it and flex it for the best distance out of my Wave's. However, its not the best distance out of my bag, that still belongs to a Star Mamba 149g out distancing the Wave 162 by about 50 feet. I do have a Wave 153, and 156 not yet thrown. I have alot of this disc vs that disc going on, so there on hold. What I did do was order a Wave 149 arriving next week, so starting next week Star Mamba vs Fission Wave at the 149g class, stay tuned. The Star Mamba I've been throwing for 2 1/2 years, an advantage there.

The Fission Tesla just like Throwaenvy said dead straight, and it out distance my Proton Vanish on the same line, Vanish with fade, so I traded it in for the Hex.

Out of my 27 disc bag, 23 are now MVP/Axiom. I've done a lot of sorting it out, and still doing so among the different plastics. The folks at my local PIAS know my first name when I walk in the door.

Last edited:
I'm really digging the heavy fission Hex after a few rounds with fairly light use. I've messed around a bit with fission Waves and hadn't noticed much difference in durability vs neutron. This Hex seems to be taking more damage than a comparable neutron though, both the overmold and core on bottom.

Is this common for most fission?

I'm really digging the heavy fission Hex after a few rounds with fairly light use. I've messed around a bit with fission Waves and hadn't noticed much difference in durability vs neutron. This Hex seems to be taking more damage than a comparable neutron though, both the overmold and core on bottom.

Is this common for most fission?

I think all premium plastic just depends on what you hit and the angle you hit it at. My Fission Crave has quite a large rash from one of the first throws with it, but otherwise has held up up pretty well. Sometimes it just happens. I have some discs that I've hit tons of trees and they never get more than a slight scuff, but then other in the same plastic get a nice gouge from the same trees.

Oh man, I snaked an electron envy over some rocks on the 5th throw.. I gave it away, I've got 4 others that have never gouged like that over years sometimes it's just bad luck.

What would be a good MVP/Axiom replacement for a Buzzz? Worth mentioning that the Buzzz's I'm used to lean slightly os. I was thinking about getting a neutron Matrix.

I keep growing more annoyed by Discraft's engraving under the rim. The Buzzz would be the most difficult to replace but I'd like to find something from MVP/Axiom to make a switch.

What would be a good MVP/Axiom replacement for a Buzzz? Worth mentioning that the Buzzz's I'm used to lean slightly os. I was thinking about getting a neutron Matrix.

I keep growing more annoyed by Discraft's engraving under the rim. The Buzzz would be the most difficult to replace but I'd like to find something from MVP/Axiom to make a switch.

Hex is probably the most like for like replacement to a buzzz. I threw my buzzz and Hex side by side and the flights were almost identical. If you are looking a tad more OS than the Hex look at a Neutron or Fission reactor (Eclipse reactors are OS). The other day I threw a fission reactor and Hex on the same hole...pretty much same distance but the Reactor was 20 feet further left.

Reactor would be a slightly OS Buzzz, Hex a slightly US Buzzz. I've bagged all three and both of the gyro discs are superior for FH, IMO. Not that the Buzzz feels bad with a FH grip but the Reactor and Hex just feel better to me. I've only thrown the Reactor in eclipse, neutron might be a touch less stable. Never thrown a Matrix.

Side note - Discraft's rim tooling has never triggered my OCD. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts