• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part V)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep growing more annoyed by Discraft's engraving under the rim. The Buzzz would be the most difficult to replace but I'd like to find something from MVP/Axiom to make a switch.

I'm hit or miss with the Buzzz. Not because of the rim tooling (which I actually kind of like) but more their crappy plastics.

Anyhow, if you don't have to have the overmold but still want discs made by MVP the Mint Mustang or the TSA Pathfinder might be options. I have one of each showing up today so if I find either of them Buzzz-like I'll let you know.

I'm hit or miss with the Buzzz. Not because of the rim tooling (which I actually kind of like) but more their crappy plastics.

Anyhow, if you don't have to have the overmold but still want discs made by MVP the Mint Mustang or the TSA Pathfinder might be options. I have one of each showing up today so if I find either of them Buzzz-like I'll let you know.

I'm really interested to see how you like the Mustang. I've wanted to try one out for sometime...

I want to support a Michigan based company so anything I replace in my bag going forward I'd like it to be MVP/Axiom. At least until Discraft stops with the inner rim braille.

What would be a good MVP/Axiom replacement for a Buzzz? Worth mentioning that the Buzzz's I'm used to lean slightly os. I was thinking about getting a neutron Matrix.

I keep growing more annoyed by Discraft's engraving under the rim. The Buzzz would be the most difficult to replace but I'd like to find something from MVP/Axiom to make a switch.

I agree with what everyone else is saying. Hex is the closest, but if you want the more OS side, go Reactor. The thing with the Hex though, it's probably the best disc MVP has come out with in the past 4-5 years.

New office companion. Don't worry, I'm throwing one as well. On the buzzz question, I think fission reactor is probably the answer given that we're looking for something a little on the OS side of that persuasion. But a fission hex above 175 is a beautiful thing too. Wouldn't hurt to have both.

Attachments

• B8A27BC4-3A8C-47BF-BA86-850964542B67.jpg
    B8A27BC4-3A8C-47BF-BA86-850964542B67.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 28
I'm really interested to see how you like the Mustang. I've wanted to try one out for sometime...

May not throw the Mustang. Hand feel is closer to a beadless Roc than a Buzzz. The Pathfinder feels more Buzzz-like but shallower. While I'm sure the Mustang would be a decent flier, the Pathfinder feels better in the hand and reminds me of the illegitimate love child of a Buzzz and an Emac Truth.

I had a Buzzz until after throwing an Eclipse Reactor, which fades at the end, a sweet glide. On one of my following PIAS visits I traded my Buzzz and Star Roc 3 which were always inconsistent for a Neutron Reactor, which draws in and a nice compliment for the Eclipse. Both Reactors are consistent, and I don't worry about what they may or may not do, it's just up to me on my release. This all would have been 2-3 months ago.

For the past month I've had a Neutron Hex, and for a week Fission Hex both still on the practice field. The Fission is dead straight, the Neutron turns and then flips up for good distance. The Fission I need to get it up more for distance, still stays straight when I have it up, working on consistency. It seems I'm getting more distance with Neutron over a Neutron Signal on the same flight path, another this disc vs that disc comparison on the practice field.

The mid-range that puts the biggest smile on my face has been the Prism Plasma Pyro flying o/s and dead straight as needed. I've never been able to throw anything in the other brands with those flight numbers. The Pyro won the disc war over the Eclipse Resistor with at least 30 feet more distance.

Last edited:
The mid-range that puts the biggest smile on my face has been the Prism Plasma Pyro flying o/s and dead straight as needed. I've never been able to throw anything in the other brands with those flight numbers.

The Pyro is a disc that I've been trying to fit back into my bag. I think mine is a prism proton. Since it looks like the TSA Pathfinder might be booting the Buzzz out it should pair nicely with the Pyro.

Last edited:
Currently my mids are Eclipse Reactor, N Reactor, N Hex, NS Uplink. Have been drooling over the glow hex and fission hex though…

Well I saw a restock notification at a retailer for glow hex "coming soon" ....

The pyro sounds awesome, but too big for me. I wish they would make it lighter or some light entropy in plasma but Clausius is serving me well..

Still struggling with the glitch "flat" , I can get it to go straight but not with a flat release for longer bombs. It's incredible that it doesn't turn down my steep downhill just holds straight with a little hyzer.

I've found an overstable version of the Buzzz to be the Mint Bobcat. Very straight flight with good fight at the end.

Well, it's been a while and I thought I would update everyone on my on-going 'create a Gyro bag' process. I had been looking for a couple of discs with dome for my backhand slots. The suggestions I got were a Volt and a Crave. For the Crave, it was specifically a Proton Crave.

I got a Fission Volt in 165g, as I like the lighter weight for my drivers. It's been working well for my backhand tee shots.
For the Crave, I've been trying to find a Proton one at my local stores without having any luck. I like to be able to handle the discs, especially since I'm looking for a specific feel (domey-ness). I finally gave in and got a Sarah Hokam Neutron Crave in 161g. Haven't had much chance to try it....it's been raining, but I did get to throw it on my local course yesterday. I'm liking the way it feels, it's not really domey, but it does have some dome. I got a nice backhand flight out of it and am looking forward to getting more use out of it.

Thanks for the suggestions, while I do need more throws with both the Volt and Crave, I do think they are what I was looking for.

I've got a proton Volt and Crave I'm looking to sell or trade, and was wondering what they might go for. Volt is PP blue sparkle and the sparkles are dense. The Crave is dense blue sparkle as well with a blue rim (I got this one around 2014-2015, so it's an early run). Both 7-8/10. Any ballpark idea what I might be able to get for these?

So a surprise happened to me yesterday. I went to my home course and planned on throwing my Volt and Crave more....I did get in more throws with the Crave, and while it needs more work I really like it for backhand throws. But that isn't what this post is about.....it's about my MVP Atom (Electron Medium plastic 3/3/0/1 172g).

I carry the Atom as a throwing putter. On the first hole at my course, the intended line requires a 260ish drive to have a chance to clear the bushy, blocking trees. I can't make it, so I throw sideways off the tee (125ish) to a path and that gives me a long open approach shot. Usually I throw a 5 or 6 speed overstable disc for that shot. This time, I decided to try the Atom...I mean, that is what I'm carrying it for. Landed on the path in the perfect spot. Super happy. Got to the basket and putted with the Atom - basically a drop-in putt....so no biggie.

Next hole my tee shot left me about 60 feet to the basket. This is where I use one of two discs depending on if a forehand or backhand is called for. Forehands, I go with my DGA Breaker (Proline 3/3/0/3 173g) and backhand I go with my Gateway Wizard (Money plastic 2/3/0/2 171g). I also do all putts with my Wizard. Anyways, back to my lie....it's a forehand upshot to the basket, so I decided to give the Atom a try.....pretty much parked for an easy tap it - again putting with the Atom. Spent the rest of the round using the Atom for upshots (both forehand and backhand) and putts. I only had two "issues". One I had is that the Atom is more stable (1 fade) than my Breaker (3) and Wizard (2). The second was that the Atom went further, which surprised me....it is a 3 glide, but so is the Breaker and Wizard. And except for the fade, the Atom numbers match the Breaker...but the Atom went straighter and further. So that took a bit of work getting used to the straight and longer flight.

For now, the Wizard and Breaker are out of my bag. I thought I might keep the Breaker since it has more fade, but I found that I could just put the Atom on a hyzer and, boom, I had the fade I needed. So swapping out two discs for one is a win....less discs and weight in my bag.

Wait til what atom breaks in and you can buy a new one and have two flight paths with the same disc! I like atoms.. They were my second choice, ThrowitAtom has a nice ring to it.

Good span of stability from soft e to neutron.. A great one mold choice!

Anybody throwing the Zenith? Started with a 169 Stock stamp and a 172 blank. Really like the lighter one. Similar stability to a cosmic trace for my FH, meaning it holds a anhyzer very well. BH it is a little flippy when thrown hard. Ordered a back up. The Blank one, slightly heavier, is much, much more OS. Curious if anyone else has had a similar experience.

Anybody throwing the Zenith? Started with a 169 Stock stamp and a 172 blank. Really like the lighter one. Similar stability to a cosmic trace for my FH, meaning it holds a anhyzer very well. BH it is a little flippy when thrown hard. Ordered a back up. The Blank one, slightly heavier, is much, much more OS. Curious if anyone else has had a similar experience.

I've been experimenting with a few different MVP drivers, the Zenith being one of them. I'm forehand dominant and my bomber disc was a Star Wraith at 171g. I was getting it out to around 375' pretty consistently.

I picked up the Zenith at 172g to see if it could take that spot over. It's quite a bit more stable than my Star Wraith. I love the feel and the flight of the Zenith, but it flies like a 9 speed for me. I'm only getting about 325' average out of it. I just picked up a Neutron Photon at 159g, and I would say so far it flies very similar to the Zenith. I must have gotten a more stable Zenith.

My Neutron Trace at the same weight is quite a bit less stable than both. I get the same 325' from the Trace, but it turns instead of fades. All of the 11 speeds I've tried from MVP come up short of the max distance I was getting from my Wraith. They aren't really giving me a whole lot more distance than my Volts, which are my go-to Fairways.

These are the drivers I've been experimenting with in order of stability. I've only thrown the Defy and the Neutron Photon a few times, so this could change a bit after I get a chance to do some fieldwork.
- Neutron Defy 159
- Fission Photon (Elaine King) 152
- Neutron Photon 159
- Neutron Zenith 172
- Neutron Trace 174
- Plasma Wave 162

I've been throwing a 169g since the release and while I wouldn't say it's flippy I am surprised to see some turn when ripped hard compared to my volts which usually have little to no turn but are still a -0.5 turn disc.

I have a 172g SE that I have not thrown. I am not 100% sure yet if I will stick with the Zenith long term, but I do really like the hand-feel compared to the photon. And also that every photon I have thrown has been a beef cake.

I dabbled with the photon, I have a 143g fr (or close to it) fission.. Man just nuts straight wicked distance. Amazing disc, got a second run 155 not bad little stable love the fission still. Figured I'd ride that one for a while try a few plastics.. even though it was pushing my limits. A mold correction happened and it was a different disc, then again.

I hear that the new photon's Mooo! when you throw them!

Photons are all over the place. A proton 169 is a workable driver. The CN neutrons at 168 are 9/10 of a Thrill. Most of the fissions I've thrown are a tad less HSS than other plastics. Most of my favorites are 172 Neutrons, which will stand up on a full rip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts