• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Part VI)

yes a PD would match up with a Tesla
Fun fact.
The inertia core line, ala, the current 9 speed line up.

They are all 10 speeds.
MVP just renamed them to 9's cause they were doing every other speed number.

The Inertia core line measures out to 20mm. That's a 10 speed. =)

It's also one of the only lines in MVP that matches up with the PDGA number as well, which is weird. Most of the other PDGA measurements are always 1mm larger than what MVP says it is.

And.. From like forever ago "we dont measure them the same, we'll make a video showing you what we do different"
That was like 5 years ago. ... so.

I've always gotten a huge laugh from everyone on mvp. "we need a 12 speed!"
And I'd always ask, "what is .75mm wider rim going to give you?" And nobody had an answer, just that they needed it.

Also also, Trace measures as a 12 speed. the whole 11 speed line from MVP measures as 12 speeds.
"Oh we need a 12 speed"
You had one, the whole time.

What you mean is you want a more destroyer destroyer from gyro, because you dont like the trace.
Sorry. I do this when I wake up.

uhhh.
I'ma drink more coffee.

Yeah people get way to hung up on speed ratings.. I agree their 9s are killer discs... but there is that wave/ photon gap to close, hopefully the trail should sit right in there with the 10 speed.

A quick look shows a ton of proton Atoms available, IIRC the electron has a wider more rounded feeling rim kind of like an ohm. Be kind of curious what the fission atoms do that's so awesome.

Yeah people get way to hung up on speed ratings.. I agree their 9s are killer discs... but there is that wave/ photon gap to close, hopefully the trail should sit right in there with the 10 speed.

A quick look shows a ton of proton Atoms available, IIRC the electron has a wider more rounded feeling rim kind of like an ohm. Be kind of curious what the fission atoms do that's so awesome.
That's what I get for not looking>

I respect the atom, its just not my cup of tea.

And yeah, there is a weird gap there in the wave/photon space.
The defy is what I use for it currently. But defy's are just a bit to unpredictible in the flight run to run.
The fission defy fits right in the middle though.

Yeah it does kind of make me wonder how everyone else is handling that gap. Luckily I don't really have that much power anymore haha so Tesla's fine most of the time. I use a lightweight fission octane when it's wide open, max distance with some flip and flex. I had wondered about the trace but the heavy one I had wasn't for me.

Most everyone else is allowed to throw non-gyro molds.
No one worth mentioning.

Separately, a high speed question in two parts:

Noticing that it's *really* hard to find a non Fission 13 below about 167. Guessing that's sort of a baseline rim mass thing, which I can accept, but does anyone have more than an intuitive guess on that front? Not that I need it, but a friend gave me a Lab Second Octane that he found, and it's pretty nice on FH.

And has anyone here thrown the TSA Synapse? Numbers out like a DD3 but would love a first hand impression.

Yeah it does kind of make me wonder how everyone else is handling that gap. Luckily I don't really have that much power anymore haha so Tesla's fine most of the time. I use a lightweight fission octane when it's wide open, max distance with some flip and flex. I had wondered about the trace but the heavy one I had wasn't for me.
Traces are fantastic if you have lots of power.

Someone like eagle and simon could really make traces fun again.

It looks like eagle is actually gonna throw streamline too, cause he was really liking the stabalizer I think, and I think he even peaked at the runway?

Streamline in generally is a lot of good discs, But the single mold style molding also rears its head most of the time with the consistencies. Traces are absolute bombers if you got 500+ power. But for people who throw 350-400, youre better off throwing lifts and jets. And the lift is still one of my all time favorite discs. I threw my longest forehand ever with one, and just always enjoyed the forehand flight on them. They get a bit squirly for me now with backhand, but I'm mainly throwing 6 speeds too, so no room for that in there right now.

The other thing too, like you said heavy.
I don't think the trace has ever been under 167g. I think that was the absolute lightest it was ever seen in other than the fission gimmick one they did. Which actually sounded fun, but I'm not payin 100 for one. noooope.

No one worth mentioning.

Separately, a high speed question in two parts:

Noticing that it's *really* hard to find a non Fission 13 below about 167. Guessing that's sort of a baseline rim mass thing, which I can accept, but does anyone have more than an intuitive guess on that front? Not that I need it, but a friend gave me a Lab Second Octane that he found, and it's pretty nice on FH.

And has anyone here thrown the TSA Synapse? Numbers out like a DD3 but would love a first hand impression.

Mostly 160's on 11's and up. But that's standard plastics. My defy's are 148 to 161. The one I bag is a 151.
The Fission Vanish I have is 160g.

There really isn't a baseline mass thing.

But MVP Traditionally can be kind of turds when it comes to lightweight discs.

Those who understand and really enjoy the product and get out of the paradigm of "must be max weight always" really really enjoy mvp discs, but get frustrated as well because when MVP is doing re-stock level molding, they just pump out 168-175g, no lightweight stuff. And its really annoying.

mainly because the demand is very niche for anyone who's figured it out. People think you need max weight for anything. MVP has always been one of those choices for me because I can throw 160 class stuff in the wind and it isn't turned into a turd like a single mold would be.

I think mvp is one of the best companies about making lightweight stuff. My drivers are 150's to low 160's and my putters and mids are in the mid 160's to low 170's. My bag is all made by either innova or mvp. I don't throw anything lightweight made by innova over a speed 9.

I also don't see a massive hole in mvp's speed 11's. I carry a flat 159 plasma photon a domey 155 fission photon and a 151 fission wave. Those 3 cover all my distance driver shots with my max distance on a golf line around 360-370.

@mas30066 Yeah I assumed the same with rim width and minimum weight, if you found a 167g that's the lowest I've seen. Too bad you don't like fission, my 155 octane bombs, I'm casually keeping an eye out for a 160..

But it will probably be like the fission photon experiment, i have a 143g that's awesome, got a 155 that's good, found a 166 for some extra stability and it was tough to throw. There is something to be said for weight for consistency and some extra carry (downhill)
I realized that if I can't throw it at 166g I probably shouldn't be haha. There's a big gap between a 166 wave and a 166 photon. Of course I'm not practicing what I preach, I saw that sweet SE 155 octane and had to try it, then backed it up with a spare or two. 😉

@Sheep Agreed there are plenty of options at 11. I run my Vanish and Waves a little heavier (171ish) along with a Plasma Photon at 160 and a Fission Defy pair around 150. Have reintroduced the Plasma Vanish which is probably more -1/2 than -3/2 but not sure if it'll do anything the Photon doesn't.

@ThrowaEnvy I like Fission (a lot) in specific discs, namely the Defy above and the MVP Open Hex, both of which I have four total. But the 13 speed as contemplated is first and foremost going to be a forehand driver. The additional turn that some of the Fission drivers can demonstrate (squinting hard at the Wave) is going to be counterproductive there. Ideally, I'd like fast, stable, and light to balance control and arm strain.

Also, very much in the KT fancamp, so the Fission Photon's out on principle as was the Eclipse Reactor until I found one from a non EK run.

Ok, back to work…

Yes, don't get hung up on speed ratings. The past few months I've found out my Neutron Signal can fly past on turnover lines the Relay, Fission Rhythm, Virus, and on the heels of the Orbital, to where the three former disc listed are not being used on those lines unless I need an ending fade.
Wave/Photon gap is pretty close for me, where a Neutron Wave/Fission Photon can be on top of each other. The Fission Wave can get out there way ahead of the other plastics, and the Proton Photon has its own ending line away from the others.

I think there could be a good possibility that the Trail will close the Wave/Photon gap for those looking for it. Wanting to throw a 10-speed to warm up for the Trail, I've settled on a Vip Air Northman "same flight number's", that can turn, and fade right on in closer to a Photon, keeping up in distance with the Fission Wave. If the Trail is anything like that, I'm happy.

Simon Lizotte has added the Trail to his bag for this season, and the Neutron Wave that he was using for rollers, has been replaced by the Neutron Vanish.

@lee76007 Yeah I saw Simon throwing the trail, I kinda figured it was a 8 speed hahaha.

If it's light enough I may try a 10 Speed, but I'm just kidding myself. I'm way more consistent with the Tesla/rhythm setup. The insanity is kind of interesting, now that I have one I can flip and ride long sweeping anhyzers with crazy distance I can see why my cosmic ones fly the way they do (straight, long, hill climbers and solid fade). Not sure about the panning fade, I don't like it.

Good weather is on the way, I'll probably pull out the waves, absorb81 insanities and fission octanes and get some amazing shots in field work. Bag a bunch for the first day/round of a tourney, shit the bed, throw half my bag out for round 2, play with 7 discs and shoot lights out. Sure as Spring is coming.

Last edited:
I carry 20 discs in the bag and routinely throw 5-7. Some of the discs are duplicates in case one of the 5-7 vanishes on the course during a tournament. I usually check lost and found and return to the scene of the crime to find the wayward disc. Even then I lost one in a pond during a tournament that I dredged with a water retrieval tool for over and hour with no luck.

I got to try max weight Fission and Proton Atoms today. I remember fondling them when I was browsing around for a shallow putting putter and thinking they were too deep, so they somehow got classified as deep putters in my head.

Trying them for throwing today they were really sweet, very fast for putters, pretty shallow and very straight. Could easily throw them both fh and bh and got more distance from them than most of my putters, my first throw with the fission was a 300'ish hyzerflip that barely flipped up and just flew straight most of the way.

Might have to see which plastics are widely available where I live and try to fit them in my bag.

I seem to recall people were looking for fizzy rhythms. GLD has some Amanda Melwiki tour series ones, down as light as the low 160s...

They've also got a really cute kitty stamp 😻

I seem to recall people were looking for fizzy rhythms. GLD has some Amanda Melwiki tour series ones, down as light as the low 160s...

They've also got a really cute kitty stamp 😻
Sun King disc has a fission Rhythm 152 G, somebody go get it!! They also have a few in the 170s.

Last summer I had a 163 G way too much turn with tremendous distance. last month picked up a 171 G sacrificing distance for much better control and I'm good with that

Sun King disc has a fission Rhythm 152 G, somebody go get it!! They also have a few in the 170s.

Last summer I had a 163 G way too much turn with tremendous distance. last month picked up a 171 G sacrificing distance for much better control and I'm good with that
Shouldn't be losing that much distance from only 8g difference in weight

Yay rhythms!!! Haha.

I respectfully disagree. 8g can make a big difference with a rhythm for me. Same way it does with the insanity... it also depends on which plh/dome you swapped from/to.

My 156ish fission is med dome, flippy, great straight hyzer flip hill climber or panning BH anhyzer disc (not a FH fav), the 160 se flat top is like a TL little micro turn but very straight great for a little BH beef and definitely a FH favourite. As it has broken in its gained about 25' extra with the turn. Got a 162 ish neutron right in the middle as well lower plh but flat top.

Got some 172 circuits (domey, extra low PLH) that fly less stable than the 160 se and some flat top 172g L2s that fight with my teslas for shots.

It's not as huge as a difference as some of the teslas but enough that people could have a very different experience depending which one they get.

TLDR: extra turn means extra distance.

Latest posts