• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Ion?

Have you guys noticed your ions beating in much? I prefer an understable putter because I push putt (not a lot of spin). I've had my soft ion for several months now, and I haven't noticed it breaking in hardly at all. I was hoping it would turn into my primary putter, but it still isn't beat enough.

Have you guys noticed your ions beating in much? I prefer an understable putter because I push putt (not a lot of spin). I've had my soft ion for several months now, and I haven't noticed it breaking in hardly at all. I was hoping it would turn into my primary putter, but it still isn't beat enough.

If you're only putting with it, its going to take a VERY long time to break in. If you drive with it (and hit lots of trees in the process), then it won't take as long. I managed to break in two of the 2nd run (first heavy run) softs in a couple months over the summer. All in all, the Ion's flight is determined in a large part by the amount of spin. With a lot of spin its laser straight, but with just a lob, it'll fall off to the side.

If you're only putting with it, its going to take a VERY long time to break in. If you drive with it (and hit lots of trees in the process), then it won't take as long. I managed to break in two of the 2nd run (first heavy run) softs in a couple months over the summer. All in all, the Ion's flight is determined in a large part by the amount of spin. With a lot of spin its laser straight, but with just a lob, it'll fall off to the side.

Right now it only gets used off the tee or for long approaches (100'-270'). I guess maybe I'm trying to compare the breaking in of an ion to a classic aviar (my primary putter) and I'm thinking that may take a long time to achieve.

Yeah, my Ions haven't broke in much at all, and I drive and throw the hell out of them. I'd try and get a lighter one if you wanted an understable putter.

The 1st runs were in the mid 160s. They're getting scarce though. I think MVP is planning on running some more light ones in the near future though.

Another note: I haven't heard this from many people, but Frank D commented on it while he was throwing the Ion around this summer. When they do break in, they do it suddenly, with very little visible clues. Like I said, I haven't heard a lot of people comment on this, so I'm not sure. I may have to break out that first Ion and test it out to see if it wasn't just a form issue that I might have resolved around the time that I switched to my newer run of Ions.

Also, if you're looking to break one in faster, skip it across a parking lot a few times, focusing primarily on throwing with mostly spin instead of arm.

Cool. I really want to carry one mold of putter, but my putting style makes it difficult. I'll never be able to throw my classic aviar in a headwind. Perhaps and lightweight Ion will solve my problem.

just got two of these this week and the Ion seems to be the real deal. I love it. At home I was sinking 25 ft putts no problem, and the medium is money for driving with.

My soft Ion has some scuffs on the edge, but nothing big. I've hammered it into the chains and a few trees, too.

Seems to be a tiny bit more prone to fading, but that could just be me throwing a little hyzer.

I hit the top of a Mach 3 the other day (the nickel is missing) and it cut through the rubber and into the plastic :doh:, I smoothed it down with a towel and it stayed for the rest of the round. Was kinda a bummer, but it had to hit something pretty sharp to do that kind of damage.

out of the 10 or so that have cycled through my bag, only one has had a chunk taken out of the rubber. the courses in Austin are brutal with plenty of jagged rocks so it is inevitable

As for broken in flight, I can second this. I started with a 8/10 ion, and used it for every shot I would throw a putter for (although I used to carry 5) for about two months of daily play. Its a great turnover driver now, and if I were to put it up for trade, it would be a 5 or 6/10. I have another medium I will be throwing in (that started off more stable) to take over stable driving duties, so my old medium can be for just putting duties.

Is it getting pretty cold everywhere else? What do those of you who putt with mediums think about the cold? Yesterday (about 30 degrees with 10mph winds) between chilled hands and cold plastic, I wish I had had one of my softs in the bag for putting. I carry a proto ion for long putts (i like lightweight outside the circle at this altitude) but don't love it for my typical 15-30' putts. Maybe I need to switch back to a bigger bag so I can carry more than two putters.

Dude, it's almost 80 here.

same. Texas just got hot again. I love the Softs in cold weather because they stiffen up quite a bit. I played yesterday in the unexpected warm weather and found myself going to the Medium a lot

My ideal Ion would be in between a Soft and Medium in flexibility