• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Ion?

If you've ever wondered what an Electron Ion looks like after 5 point blank throws into a brick wall with 400' of power, you'll see soon :D

Had a putting session with my new Electron Ions. These are the new Ions (like Plasma) with a little bit flatter feel than the original Neutron, or older Proton molds.

From a putting distance, and up to 60 feet in the backyard, the glide feels the same. The grip, as with the Atom, is fantastic. I let the discs get dusty and sandy (which I would normally wipe off right away) and the release still felt great. It's sooooo nice to have an Ion, that feels like an Ion, and flies like an Ion, but in a completely new plastic to the mold.

I will get a chance to get to the course on Wednesday, and I'm going to be testing more Ions and the new Plasma Envy (which is drop dead gorgeous)

Durability is already showing to be a bit of an issue. It's not necessarily a knock, but when you're used to premium Ions for years, and then your new ones get scuffed the first session...we'll see how they do with more use. FWIW, my Wizards also scuffed the same way the first session when they banged against the bricks in my yard. And so did my KC Aviars. It's baseline, and to be expected. But now it's baseline, in my favorite putter. Which is a wonderful thing indeed.

I agree with everything you wrote, except I feel like the extra bit of glide is there. Its not a night and day difference, but it was enough for me to be missing high on putts that felt good coming out of my hand.

It's weird putting with baseline after putting premium for something like six years, but I'm giving a 172 white stormtrooper a shot at becoming my putting putter. Might stick with it, might go back to my soft opaque proton...we'll see.

Either way its nice having that extra grip in bad weather, and the ability to quickly break one in for turnover shots. The Ions I intentionally beat up are flying some awesome turnover lines now.

I will probably see differences in glide on longer throws. I expected higher glide, but I tried to go in not looking for it. Ions already have awesome glide, so even if most players found similarities between Electron and the premiums, it wouldn't be a bad thing.

From a putting distance, and up to 60 feet in the backyard, the glide feels the same. The grip, as with the Atom, is fantastic. I let the discs get dusty and sandy (which I would normally wipe off right away) and the release still felt great. It's sooooo nice to have an Ion, that feels like an Ion, and flies like an Ion, but in a completely new plastic to the mold.

Darn it, you are making me want to buy an Electron Ion and try it out, even though I don't need any new putters. *must hold on to wallet* *must hold on to wallet*

I do like my Electron Atom, so maybe I'll splurge for the Electron Ion over time, though it's behind a couple of other "needs"...

The Electron Ion is the most exciting release in a long, long time. One of my favorite discs ever, I had a hard time putting with my neutron in the winter and rain, and had to resort to switching it out for different putters. I also lost my oldest Ion that was my turnover putter this past year. Spent the whole year rambling about how the Ion needs to come in the Electron to make cycling much easier. And here it comes, just in time for my birthday!

The Electron Ion is the most exciting release in a long, long time. One of my favorite discs ever, I had a hard time putting with my neutron in the winter and rain, and had to resort to switching it out for different putters. I also lost my oldest Ion that was my turnover putter this past year. Spent the whole year rambling about how the Ion needs to come in the Electron to make cycling much easier. And here it comes, just in time for my birthday!

Imagine how many of these they would have sold by now if they had done this yyeeaarrss ago...

Imagine how many of these they would have sold by now if they had done this yyeeaarrss ago...

Imagine how many premium plastic ions theyve sold in a handful of years. The envy isnt a bad disc either i hear.

People still have no idea how good beat up neutron plastic feels.

Imagine how many premium plastic ions theyve sold in a handful of years. The envy isnt a bad disc either i hear.

People still have no idea how good beat up neutron plastic feels.

Seasoned Neutron is some of the best feeling plastic ever.

I have some severely scuffed up Resistors in that rock hard Neutron that have incredible grip.

I showed someone the other day in the snow after saying they hated MVPs bc they didnt grip well. I pulled a fresh neutron driver out and agreed given the freezing conditions but then busted out my babies and let him have a touchy feely. Night and day grip difference for sure.

I always bought used star discs from PIAS back in the day. Saved $ and got better feeling/flying discs!:hfive:

That's not exclusive to MVP's plastics. I have a Glo Z Zone that's been in the bag since they were released, and it's astonishing how good the plastic feels and grips.

Who has the time to season plastic that much though? We're all too busy swapping molds in and out of our bags before we get anything to the good spots.

That's not exclusive to MVP's plastics. I have a Glo Z Zone that's been in the bag since they were released, and it's astonishing how good the plastic feels and grips.

Who has the time to season plastic that much though? We're all too busy swapping molds in and out of our bags before we get anything to the good spots.

A quick date with some fine grit sandpaper will get Neutron to the "sweet spot" very quickly.
My plasma Ion was subject to this treatment and it came out beautifully.

A quick date with some fine grit sandpaper will get Neutron to the "sweet spot" very quickly.

I did the same thing with my first Servo and every teepad when I threw it. It was great until I took it too far.

<-- doesn't know when to quit

I actually just stood on these ions flight plate down and did a ballerina spin. Little touch up sanding :D

I did the same thing with my first Servo and every teepad when I threw it. It was great until I took it too far.

<-- doesn't know when to quit

Did the same thing to my Relay before the Circuit. But since initially not liking it, I have grown to like having a slower flippy disc in my bag again. I had all but abandoned that spot in my bag, choosing to throw short FHs instead.

Did the same thing to my Relay before the Circuit. But since initially not liking it, I have grown to like having a slower flippy disc in my bag again. I had all but abandoned that spot in my bag, choosing to throw short FHs instead.

I have to say that the Relay impressed me from day one. So flippy but still super controllable. I've reworked my bag to throw slower molds in their classification (no more Proxy and Envy), and the Relay was a pleasant surprise this weekend.

I showed someone the other day in the snow after saying they hated MVPs bc they didnt grip well. I pulled a fresh neutron driver out and agreed given the freezing conditions but then busted out my babies and let him have a touchy feely. Night and day grip difference for sure.

I always bought used star discs from PIAS back in the day. Saved $ and got better feeling/flying discs!:hfive:

I am new to the amazingness that is Gyro, but, I am impressed by how grippy proton is right out of the gate. Even when cold. It seems the grippyness order goes proton, plasma, neutron, and then old neutron blends? The new neutron discs I just picked up are much grippier than an older neutron disc I have which has yet to be thrown (It is very slick). The tackiness of the proton, combined with its sturdiness has me VERY excited! It feels like a slightly stiffer and tackier champion. I.E. amazing. I lose a ton of distance in the dry and cold with my champion discs. But this Proton feels like it compensates for that. More testing to be done but from now on, proton IONs for driving, plasma for putting.

Last edited: