• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My Baby - Uh, I mean my new homemade disc golf basket

What size are the chain links? I have a disc basket but it is a single chains type and has a tendency to kick the disc out. I was thinking about adding a few more links.
Thanks!
Great job by the way!

are you asking how long the lengths of chain are or how long is each link.

assuming you are asking about the lengths - I will have to measure. I know that the inner lengths (9) are longer - I counted 20 links then cut #21 - plus the S hook at the top. The lengths hanging around the perimeter of the chain hanger (18) are 19 links long - cut at #20. I'll get back to you with measurements.

What I did was eyeball the model that I was using. the perimeter chains came about 1/3 into the basket. I cut about 4 and made a quick ring around the pole with romex wire. Once I was sure, I just cut them all, added S hooks and made the ring. The inner 9 were easy. I just let them hang 2" below and 2" above the base of the basket. Cut them all to length and made a bigger ring.

You might be able to do an easy fix if you cut them one or two links short - you could add a couple S hooks to each link at the top of the chains, crimp them down with pliers. You could even add one at the bottom to give yourself a little more length. You could also go with a slightly larger diameter ring (where the chains are connected around the pole.)

Good Luck

I went out and measured the lengths of chain:

The inner lengths of chain are 25" + 1 1/2" S hook
The outer lengths of change are 24" + 1 1/2" S hook

this is definitely a work of art........... leaving the spokes in the bike wheel and hanging the chain from them really looks cool. :cool:

3406413729_218e184c28.jpg

Looks nice...they are allot of work..I just finished helping my son paint the one he built for his welding project at school. I'll try to upload some pictures soon. It's going to the state high school welding competition this week in Corpus Christie. I am so proud of his work and excited to get a monster basket in the ground in a few weeks (after the competition) in our subdivision's park where we can set up about a 6 hole short course for fun.

Very creative. It is very fulfilling to make something yourself.
Anybody can go out & buy a basket (I did).
Having a practice basket makes such a big difference. Yours came out looking great!

this is definitely a work of art........... leaving the spokes in the bike wheel and hanging the chain from them really looks cool. :cool:

3406413729_218e184c28.jpg

Thanks man,

Initially, I was worried that the bike rim would give the basket an unavoidable "homemade" look. I was wrong. I think it ended up looking cool and actually added to the overall look of the target.

The benefits of using a bike rim highly outweigh the negatives. The rim itself is aluminum and was easy to drill. It can be left outside forever with minimal impact. The spacing of the spokes is already done for you and provides a lot of options when hanging your chains. The width is about perfect and you can make use of something that was headed to the recycle bin. Hopefully like me, you can go to your local bike shop and get a couple for free.

I'd like to do my next one out of an old Iron wagon wheel. I think it would fit into the Central Texas hill country thing and would be an interesting focal point in some addicted disc golfer's yard. I believe those wheels typically had a larger diameter than a 26" bike rim. That may require some cutting/welding/modification. They also have about 4-6 spokes which means supports would have to be added to get a similar chain arrangement. But those are just details that would have to be worked out.

Thanks for the comment, appreciate it.

Looks nice...they are allot of work..I just finished helping my son paint the one he built for his welding project at school. I'll try to upload some pictures soon. It's going to the state high school welding competition this week in Corpus Christie. I am so proud of his work and excited to get a monster basket in the ground in a few weeks (after the competition) in our subdivision's park where we can set up about a 6 hole short course for fun.

Yes, like any art project, the hours and hours of tedious work...ugh. I find that the more tedious the project, the more pain that is involved in day to day building of a project, the finer the end product. (I just keep telling myself that when I am ready to puke from doing the same tasks over and over) I find that making a list of things to be done, and closing out that list helps me stay on track.

At some point the light at the end of the tunnel starts to get brighter, brighter, and becomes an exciting ride once you see the concept becoming reality.

What a great idea for a school project! And an even better idea to put the basket out for people to play with and discover the great sport of disc golf. Congrats to you guys! Your son (and yourself) will have a special connection to that basket, not to mention your games should improve by having a practice option nearby.

That's how you propagate the sport of disc golf. Well done! and good luck to your son in the competition.

Very creative. It is very fulfilling to make something yourself.
Anybody can go out & buy a basket (I did).
Having a practice basket makes such a big difference. Yours came out looking great!

My thoughts exactly. There's nothing wrong with going out and buying a basket off the shelf, especially if you're not the type that would be excited about the prospect of building one on your own. I personally dig taking a project from concept to reality, solving problems along the way and hopefully, eventually, being able to look at a final project of your hands.

Believe me, there's lots of half completed projects in my garage - Just ask my wife ;). This thing was in progress for over a month. That's a long time to wait to get up and running especially when I can go 10 minutes down the street and pick me up a box off the shelf.

The idea is to do it for less $$$ and in the process create something of great sentimental value. I only hope that my putters love it ;)

Thanks for the comment, have a good one

As soon as I move to a house and out of an apartment I am going to build a basket. I think I will be a fun project.

Hey man that looks great im currently building my own and have the capability of welding but i was wondering how you got all the rod bent perfectly like that on the bottom basket?

I just found this thread a couple of weeks ago myself. I was really surprised to see that milo's basket hasn't been added to the numerous other homemade basket threads. It certainly deserving of the attention. I've been meaning to bring this post back in hopes that he would post an updated picture of his basket now that some time has passed. I would love to see how the copper belt has turned. I bet it looks pretty cool with the patina.

7228_1213151013853_1381125536_30939627_654195_n.jpg

7228_1213155093955_1381125536_30939633_1115608_n.jpg

this is the baskets my son built and won second place in the Texas State high school welding competition. based (obviously) on a discatcher pro from their specs, but built with heavier gage metal....and premium quality chain. It will last forever.

Last edited:
View attachment 4186

View attachment 4187

this is the baskets my son built and won second place in the Texas State high school welding competition. based (obviously) on a discatcher pro from their specs, but built with heavier gage metal....and premium quality chain. It will last forever.

That is excellent work sir. You must be real proud. Do you know how much he/you spent on the project altogether? That looks professionally done and I like the name as well

the raw metal ran us about 100.00
the chain ran us 50.00 from home depot

the labor was free and my sons welding class provided him all the equipment he needed.
Thanks for the compliment. when he said he was going to build one I didnt expect anything close to this quality.
He is computer genious with his sights set on M.I.T. not your normal blue collar mechanic type (like me). I did ask him to take the welding class, just for balance in life. Gain a little confidence in his hands and develope some mechanical ability.

I guess all that calculus does come in handy...I couldn't be prouder of him.:)

Latest posts