• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Flying Basket of Death and Destruction Build Thread

Here you go...

I am gonna guess...

you were looking for a more vertical flight and longer then twelve seconds...:wall:
and hoping that the parachute would open...:\

But it did look great on the launchpad! :p

:)

better luck next time...:hfive:

Oh, and I am not a rocket scientist or a brain surgeon...

But a admire those professions a great deal, because they have to put up with us regular folk...

So the mini basket flew again today. Up part - good. Deployment - good. Landing - kinda hard. Broke off the bottom ring so that'll have to be rebuilt again and I need a new and MUCH bigger parachute. So with the limited amount of space I am going to have to go with a "thin-mil" parachute. Anyways, some shots from the flight today. This is looking very promising.

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2023-01-07-19h56m58s589.jpg
    vlcsnap-2023-01-07-19h56m58s589.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCN2802.jpg
    DSCN2802.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 20
And here is pic of the damage. Annoying but fixable. Getting carbon fiber tubes to replace the wood dowels and a bigger and thinner chute. Trying hard to not add a bunch of extra weight.

Attachments

• 5777A2C9-0CFD-470C-904D-CE4D29988AE9.jpg
    5777A2C9-0CFD-470C-904D-CE4D29988AE9.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 16

So with the president cracking down on north American airspace intrusions after the balloon downings are you concerned about tougher FAA restrictions or licensing requirements?

7390, 73 FR 73781, Dec. 4, 2008]

§ 101.25 Operating limitations for Class 2-High Power Rockets and Class 3-Advanced High Power Rockets.

When operating Class 2-High Power Rockets or Class 3-Advanced High Power Rockets, you must comply with the General Operating Limitations of § 101.23. In addition, you must not operate Class 2-High Power Rockets or Class 3-Advanced High Power Rockets -

(a) At any altitude where clouds or obscuring phenomena of more than five-tenths coverage prevails;

(b) At any altitude where the horizontal visibility is less than five miles;

(c) Into any cloud;

(d) Between sunset and sunrise without prior authorization from the FAA;

(e) Within 9.26 kilometers (5 nautical miles) of any airport boundary without prior authorization from the FAA;

(f) In controlled airspace without prior authorization from the FAA;

(g) Unless you observe the greater of the following separation distances from any person or property that is not associated with the operations:

(1) Not less than one-quarter the maximum expected altitude;

(2) 457 meters (1,500 ft.);

(h) Unless a person at least eighteen years old is present, is charged with ensuring the safety of the operation, and has final approval authority for initiating high-power rocket flight; and

(i) Unless reasonable precautions are provided to

They're cracking down, Dave!!! The circle tightens...:p :D

So with the president cracking down on north American airspace intrusions after the balloon downings are you concerned about tougher FAA restrictions or licensing requirements?

Not really. Our launches don't really fall within the unknown. Every launch we make 3 phone calls. One to the FAA to file a NOTAM (notice to all airmen) then the other two are to the nearest major airports - O'hare and South Bend so they all know exactly what is going on and where. Not sure why we don't have to contact Midway...but whatever. Also, we have a website and Facebook page where we advertise our launches weeks in advance. So for someone to say our launches are unknown would be sorta silly.

I think the folks that are flying quadcopters/drones illegally or other assorted aerial nonsense are the ones who will likely be the most impacted.

The other thing is most alphabet agencies are probably going to leave high powered rocketry alone because of our fight with the BATFE. Between 2000 and 09 we fought the BATFE with their explosives regulation stupidity - and won. Plus we have a very long and well documented history of safety and effective self regulation.

In other news, it would probably not be a good idea for me to express my opinion on the BATFE here or in any public forum. ;)

The other thing is most alphabet agencies are probably going to leave high powered rocketry alone because of our fight with the BATFE. Between 2000 and 09 we fought the BATFE with their explosives regulation stupidity - and won. Plus we have a very long and well documented history of safety and effective self regulation.

In other news, it would probably not be a good idea for me to express my opinion on the BATFE here or in any public forum. ;)

na youre all good keep goin

na youre all good keep goin

Ok you talked me into it...The BATFE is a useless redundant agency that needlessly arose from the prohibition era whose tasks could easily be covered by local law enforcement and other alphabet agencies. Their actions against hobby rocketry was an inept attempt to justify their existence in a post 9/11 world. They tried to classify our rocket motors as explosives. But using the BATFE rule book the motors DO NOT meet the classification by their very own definition and it took almost 10 years to prove that in court. Effing stupid.

It's a shame really. There are a lot of BATFE agents who really mean well and truly want to make the country better but that entire experience left a sour taste for the agency as a whole.

Ok you talked me into it...The BATFE is a useless redundant agency that needlessly arose from the prohibition era whose tasks could easily be covered by local law enforcement and other alphabet agencies. Their actions against hobby rocketry was an inept attempt to justify their existence in a post 9/11 world. They tried to classify our rocket motors as explosives. But using the BATFE rule book the motors DO NOT meet the classification by their very own definition and it took almost 10 years to prove that in court. Effing stupid.

It's a shame really. There are a lot of BATFE agents who really mean well and truly want to make the country better but that entire experience left a sour taste for the agency as a whole.

you hard to go to court for that jeez

i thought it was pretty overstepping when people were gettin citations for flying their drones in state parks and other things but im in mn and vaguely remember as this was years ago

makes me wonder now regulations for model airplanes vs drones vs rockets

What to the other rocket folks think of the FBoDaD?

"WTF?!?" "Oh, hell if I know, that's just Dave. He's mostly harmless."

Not sure if you're the only one flying something that doesn't really resemble a rocket or if that's somewhat common.

you hard to go to court for that jeez

i thought it was pretty overstepping when people were gettin citations for flying their drones in state parks and other things but im in mn and vaguely remember as this was years ago

makes me wonder now regulations for model airplanes vs drones vs rockets

Not sure how the regs compare between the 2 hobbies. Yeah we went to court and over the 9+ years I think our hobby spent $400,000 in legal fees. Effing ridiculous.

What to the other rocket folks think of the FBoDaD?

"WTF?!?" "Oh, hell if I know, that's just Dave. He's mostly harmless."

Not sure if you're the only one flying something that doesn't really resemble a rocket or if that's somewhat common.

Other rocket folk LOVE it. I definitely get a lot "WTF" reactions but in large part it makes people smile and laugh so that alone makes it totally worthwhile. In Argonia, KS there were many people who would stop by my ez-up when I had it on display and say something like, "Oh wow THERE it is!" and then we'd start up great conversation. I've had several fliers tell me they've flown rockets for over 20 years and never seen anything like that.

Latest posts