• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My bag 2012 - Feedback/critique appreciated

mambo

Bogey Member
Hi DGCR,

I've been reading these forums for about 9 months now and this is my first post here. I come from a mixed Tennis and Ultimate background and was previously heavily FH dominant. Started playing DG last summer and I'm slowly switching to BH because the BH drives seem less stressing for my body and I seem to get more control with BH.

Quickly realized that the wide rimmed warp speed drivers aren't for me, dropped everything too fast and kept the TeeBird and Rivers in my bag. A month ago I switched my TeeBird for a couple of Eagle-X's because of the FD. The Eagles seem to work great FH lines also.

Also noticed that 170ish drivers work better for me so I try to stay away from the max weight stuff. I play in heavily wooded courses and I find that my Opto Pure and Soft Ion gets the most action. So here goes...

Vitals:
Years playing/experience: DG ~1 year; 3 years of Ultimate
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: right-handed
Throwing Style: RHBH, some FH, very few OH
Distance line: Hyzerflip
Golf Distance (avg/max*) for putter/mid/driver: Pure: 200/240'; Buzzz: 250/280'; Eagle/PD: 310/330'

* Max distance is the greatest distance you can throw your top 2-3 drivers with any regularity

Optional:
Sex: M
Other sport proficiencies?: Tennis, Ultimate

What do you like/dislike about your current bag?:
Dislikes: Possible overlaps

Specific areas of desired feedback: Want to learn a consistent and effective backhand, control before distance

Immediate and long-term goals: I'd like to have more consistency in the short-term, learn to get good BH form without any arm pains and gain some additional distance in the long-term

Bag:

Drivers (weight/plastic/model/(condition)/use):
170 TP Sword (mint condition, new addition) - max distance
170 P-PD, (beat, stable to understable) - main driver
168 C-PD (slightly beat) - hyzers
168 S-PD (slightly beat) - in process of beating to workhorse driver, BH flex shots, main driver for FH

Fairway:
172 gummy star Eagle-X (slightly beat) - overstable for upwind and flex shots, some FH action
170 DX Eagle-X (beat) - stable to straight, straight FH shots

169 S-FD (slightly beat) - laser straight without fade, downwind drives
175 C-FD (new) - laser straight with a fade in the end

168 Opto River (slightly beat) - for annies, still fades to flat, needs more beating
175 Gl River (used) - straight with a really slow forward fade

168 Champ Banshee (used) - utility, occasional OHs, spike hyzers

Mids:
177+ Glo Z Buzzz, (used) - FH mid, overstable BH mid
172 ESP Buzzz (slightly used) - main mid
172 Opto Fuse (slightly used) - annies, hyzerflip to buttery turnover

Putters:
173 Swan2 (beat) - main putter
175 Opto Pure (slightly beat) - upshots, short drives
175 Soft Ion (slightly beat) - upshots, short drives

There. I know that the Opto Pure and Soft Ion have a bit of an overlap because they are both on the neutral side of stability. I might consider dropping the Ion and adding a basic JOKERi for FH and upwind putting. I'm currently working on my FH form with putters and the Opto Pure seems to flutter quite a bit. Maybe the Soft Ion is a bit more forgiving to get my FH in shape?

Any feedback on the fairways? The two fairways I find not getting much action are the max weight Gl River and the C-FD.

I'm quite happy with the PDs. Still don't know if the Sword stays in the bag or not, kind of depends if it works with FH drives and gives more distance when hyzerflipped than the PD.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Last edited:
Looks really solid to me.

I am assuming you can power down your banshee if you need something really overstable for a midrange shot.

Also seems like you could just beat in the GL River and have it cover the shots your Opto is right now. That one river mixed with Eagles and FD's seems like it would cover everything.

You have to have overlap in the fairway department, I would probably stick with just the Rivers, Eagles, and banshee. Also, I would try out a zone for that overstable putter/mid type shot.

Personally, I love the sword, I carry three of them in different wears. It does kind of overlap with the pd's but I would keep trying it. You might like it better.

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, beating in the River(s) is the priority now. I won't probably drop the PDs, they seem to power down so well and the lighter weights suit my power levels like a charm. While at first the FD's seemed a great choice for a beginner like me, I'm not so sure any more. A light Gl River (maybe TM/EZE ?) would be a good shout but they're really hard to find.

I might see how the Rivers beat up and see if I could drop the FDs for good. The Sword I'll definitely give a good tryout. The Zone is also a good suggestion, hadn't thought of that...

Enjoyed driving with my Buzzzes and Opto Pures yesterday so much that I'll probably just drop the FD's for now. The S-FD was money when new, but now when beat up I feel it flips on me a bit too easy. On the other hand I'm beginning to learn to manipulate the Buzzzes and Opto Pures for tight fairways and tunnel shots.

Get a Zone. It can cover the overstable putter and short mid slot. It's also a great forehand putter.

Picked up a Pro-D Zone yesterday, let's see how it works for me. I kept a 1st run Vector in my bag for a while for that slot but I found it too OAT sensitive for my FH. I hope the Zone works a bit better until my FH form improves.

Updated bag:

Drivers :
170 TP Sword (slightly beat) - main FH disc
170 P-PD, (beat, straight to understable) - main driver w/ glide
175 FR P-PD (new) - main upwind driver
168 S-PD (slightly beat) - in process of beating to workhorse driver, BH flex shots

Fairway:
172 gummy star Eagle-X (slightly beat) - stable for upwind and flex shots

169 S-FD (slightly beat) - standstill shots, smooth turnovers

168 Opto River (slightly beat) - for annies, hyzerflips, downwind distance
175 Gl River (used) - straight with a really slow forward fade

168 Champ Banshee (used) - utility, occasional OHs, doglegs, skip approaches

Mids:
175 Pro-D Zone (slightly beat) - overstable mid, flick approaches
177+ Glo Z Buzzz, (used) - straight FH's, upwind BH's mid duties

Putters:

Minor update here. Lost my Dx Eagle-X last weekend :( Also noticed that I really can't get a turn out of my star Eagle-X as much as I hoped. Might drop the lonely Eagle and maybe try the Latitude64 Saint when it comes out for that slot.

The Sword and the Zone have been working like a charm for FH. Thanks for the suggestions :clap:

Drivers :
170 P-PD, (beat, straight to understable) - main driver w/ glide
175 FR P-PD (new) - main upwind driver
168 S-PD (slightly beat) - in process of beating to workhorse driver, BH flex shots

Fairway:
172 gummy star Eagle-X (beat) - straight w/ small fade in the end
169 S-FD (slightly beat) - standstill shots, smooth turnovers
170 Pro Leopard (new) - hyzerflips from the tee, downwind shots

Mids:
175 Pro-D Zone (slightly beat) - overstable mid, flick approaches
177+ Glo Z Buzzz, (used) - straight FH's, upwind BH's mid duties

Putters:

Decided to drop the Rivers and switch to a Pro Leo. Pretty happy with the Leo so far: Love the pro plastic, seems a bit less of a finesse disc than the River and not so nose angle sensitive. Also found the money slot for the S-FD, seems to be the only driver that works for me without a run up. Still looking a way to minimize molds so I might get a heavy Opto & light Gl Saint and replace the Banshee and Eagle-X...

Drivers :
170 P-PD, (beat, straight to understable) - distance BH drives
175 P-PD (new) - main upwind driver, drives w/ healthy fade

Fairway:
165 Opto Saint (new) - control drives
169 Gl Saint (new) - control drives with minimal fade

170 Pro Leopard (new) - hyzerflips from the tee, downwind shots

Mids:
175 Pro-D Zone (beat) - overstable mid, hyzer/flick approaches
177+ Glo Z Buzzz, (used) - straight FH's, upwind BH mid
172 ESP Buzzz (slightly used) - main BH mid
172 Opto Fuse (slightly beat) - annies, hyzerflip to buttery turnover

Putters:

Think I got this nailed down finally. The Saints replaced my Eagles like I expected, good stuff. The TP Sword is starting to develop a bit of a turn and lose it's consistency to fight back from OAT. I might get a new 170ish VIP Sword for FH headwind drives, good idea? I might get an ESP Zone as well, depending on how the Pro-D loses its fade.

Drivers :
172 BT Sword (new) - in process of beating into a distance hyzerflip disc
170 P-PD, (beat, straight to understable) - distance BH drives

Fairway:
165 Opto Saint (new) - control drives
169 Gl Saint (slightly beat) - control drives with minimal fade
170 Pro Leopard (new) - hyzerflips from the tee, downwind shots, turnovers

Mids:
177+ Glo Z Buzzz, (used) - straight FH's, upwind BH mid
172 ESP Buzzz (slightly used) - main BH mid
172 Opto Fuse (slightly beat) - annies, hyzerflip to buttery turnover

Putters:
173 Basic and Premium JOKERi - fh approaches, overstable mid duties, putting in the wind
175 Opto and Zero Pures - upshots, short drives, main putter

Time for an update. Got a good deal for some sweet new nordic plastic - two JOKERi's. The Saints have been good to me and now I'm thinking of dropping my last two PDs. The Saint just covers all the shots with less effort. I'm also in the process of beating a new BT Sword. Lets see how it seasons...

Looks pretty solid. Have you ever tried a TD in the role of your Swords? It's slower and I think fits better. And Saints/PDs are probably overlapping a lot, but you've already acknowledged that.

Looks pretty solid. Have you ever tried a TD in the role of your Swords? It's slower and I think fits better. And Saints/PDs are probably overlapping a lot, but you've already acknowledged that.

I tried a plus mold C-PD for the understable distance slot but I wasn't impressed, too overstable for my preference. Maybe a lighter S-TD would fit the bill, dunno. That's one of the reasons I like to keep atleast the beat P-PDs for long annies and hyzerflips. Addition to that, I like the grip of the Sword for my forehands better than the narrow rims of TDs and PDs. Thanks for the feedback though :)