• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My bag; let me know what you think

Pymm

* Ace Member *
This is my bag. Please let me know what you think; areas to improve, gaps in disc selection, etc. All feedback, positive or negative, is really appreciated!

Vitals:
Years playing/experience: DG 5 months
I throw RHBH primarily but also RHFH and Tomahawks/Thumbers as needed.
Distances: Putter 180-200, Mid-range 250-280, Driver 250-300
These distances are RHBH. My forehands with any disc (usually a Valk are about 200 max). Also, I have thrown all types of discs farther than the distances listed (as far as 350ish)but not consistently. The numbers above are what I throw consistently; albeit consistency is somewhat relative as, being new to the sport, consistency is somewhat lacking.

Sex: M
Injuries/handicaps?: None
Other sport proficiencies?: Tennis, Golf, Soccer

What do you like/dislike about your current bag?: I feel like my bag is very mid-heavy, with a bit of overlap but that is mainly due to finding a mid I love (I think I have, the Claymore).

I would like to find a Speed 10 disc in a light-weight, e.g., 150-160g to gain a little more distance, something like a Blizzard Beast, maybe.

I like that I, intentionally, have premium plastic, as I don't want to try to figure out when a disc's flight characteristics are changing due to being beat. I don't know that I could tell what is due to me and what is due to the disc. I want durability and consistency as I don't think I have the knowledge/experience to cycle molds.

I feel that I am pretty accurate off the tee but want more distance. I also feel like upshots, though improving quickly, are still the weak link in my game. I have a practice basket and I practice/play two-three times per week, alternating fieldwork, upshots of 100-150 feet, and putting.

Bag: All discs below are in excellent to very good condition.

Drivers:
168 Opto Saint - occasional driver, mostly in windy conditions
169 Champ Valkyrie - forehand use primarily
139 Champ Krait - occasional driver, only for non-windy conditions on long holes. My go to disc for overheads. I would like a slightly heavier, though still light, slower driver, i.e., 150ish Beast to become my primary driver for long holes. Thoughts?

Mids:
169 Opto River - my primary driver and mid. great for straight shots and annys. By far my favorite disc.
168 Frost Claymore - new to my bag but already my second favorite disc, Great for shorter tee shots (though I throw it almost as far as the River), upshots, hyzers, skips, overheads.
174 Elite Z Buzzz - short straight upshots or slight hyzers that I want to sit when they hit with no roll or skip.
174 Lucid Verdict - windy upshots and the occasional forehand upshot or spike hyzer at the basket around a tree.

Putters:
176 Classic Soft Judge - main putter. Love the feel of it. I will also use it for the occasional short upshot that I want to get a little hyzer on at the end.

first of all, despite my longer playing time I'm in about the same distance ranges as you (so take the advice with a grain of salt) ...but with some disc selection crossover as well, I figure I might as well jump in.

seems you're still finding the Saint a bit (too) stable of you like it into the wind? if so, try it or a Valk in OptoAir or StarLite respectively to drop weight and more easily get up to cruising speed. Orion Ls or Lf may make a good option as well if you find them more easily. I dig the Saint but get a little extra by going to a lightweight Valkyrie. (side note, don't go up in speed until you need to!)

also, since you like the River, have you tried much else at that speed? Teebird is of course the classic for a straight shot (with a reliable fade at our power). lots of other options round this (fairway, not midrange) speed and if you like Lat64 have a look at a Stag? btw, are you up to trying to hyzer-flipping that River? should be able to get some whip on that thing and glide well past the Claymore.

mids are good for working form and accuracy, so I wouldn't be worried about being a bit bag fat there if you are happy with a range of utility. that said, I found the Buzzz and claymore to have a ton of overlap. maybe drop the Buzzz and try a more under stable compliment like a Fuse, Comet, or Panther?

speaking of which... ever try a premium plastic putter for those upshot duties? Ion or Shield are my picks for stable and just added a Harp for wind fighting and stronger fade. again, _tons_ of options here, just go with a plastic and shape you like. "if you can throw a wrench (err, putter) you can throw anything." it's not a real quote but it should be!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

first of all, despite my longer playing time I'm in about the same distance ranges as you (so take the advice with a grain of salt) ...but with some disc selection crossover as well, I figure I might as well jump in.

seems you're still finding the Saint a bit (too) stable of you like it into the wind? if so, try it or a Valk in OptoAir or StarLite respectively to drop weight and more easily get up to cruising speed. Orion Ls or Lf may make a good option as well if you find them more easily. I dig the Saint but get a little extra by going to a lightweight Valkyrie. (side note, don't go up in speed until you need to!)

also, since you like the River, have you tried much else at that speed? Teebird is of course the classic for a straight shot (with a reliable fade at our power). lots of other options round this (fairway, not midrange) speed and if you like Lat64 have a look at a Stag? btw, are you up to trying to hyzer-flipping that River? should be able to get some whip on that thing and glide well past the Claymore.

mids are good for working form and accuracy, so I wouldn't be worried about being a bit bag fat there if you are happy with a range of utility. that said, I found the Buzzz and claymore to have a ton of overlap. maybe drop the Buzzz and try a more under stable compliment like a Fuse, Comet, or Panther?

speaking of which... ever try a premium plastic putter for those upshot duties? Ion or Shield are my picks for stable and just added a Harp for wind fighting and stronger fade. again, _tons_ of options here, just go with a plastic and shape you like. "if you can throw a wrench (err, putter) you can throw anything." it's not a real quote but it should be!

Thanks a ton for the feedback!! I was beginning to think my bag was so bad or so good that nobody felt the need to comment on it:)

I will give some thought to a lightweight Valk. I like the one I have, even though it mostly sees forehand duty. A lighter weight at speed 9 might be better than discing up with lighter weight; generally I try to throw the slowest stuff I can.

I have not tried hyzer-flipping the River. Usually, I throw it with a little anny out of my hand and it flattens out and flies straight, finishing with a slight fade. The hyzer-flip would extend the range I'm sure, so my next fieldwork will be devoted to that.

The Stag is on my list of discs to get, and, now, based on your recommendation, an Ion and maybe a Fuse. I have read a ton of good things about both of these discs. Re: the Harp, I use my Verdict for wind fighting/stronger fade so I think I have that covered but I might end up with a Harp anyway because I love the stamp and the company and the Harp, as a putter, is a touch slower.

Again, thanks for the recommendations. Off to order an Ion.

Just got a 155g Jade as a potential replacement for the Krait. Just got it in the mail today, so I haven't thrown it yet. Fingers crossed.

I generally try to bag an overstable, stable and understable mids and drivers.

What do you use for understable mid? For up-shots a true understable mid is invaluable when you want the turn with NO fade. I'd suspect the River fades when you try to power it down for understable mid duty. It's a old mold but I love my light weight stingray for those slow RHBH right turns. The Buzzz and Claymore overlap quit a bit, I'd pick one. The Verdict is probably ok for overstable.

You're getting the same general distance as me and my Star Valk does a nice S-turn. Is the Champ Valk Overstable for you?

I'd also recommend finding a more overstable putter. From the numbers the Ion shouldn't be much different from the Judge.

I generally try to bag an overstable, stable and understable mids and drivers.

What do you use for understable mid? For up-shots a true understable mid is invaluable when you want the turn with NO fade. I'd suspect the River fades when you try to power it down for understable mid duty. It's a old mold but I love my light weight stingray for those slow RHBH right turns. The Buzzz and Claymore overlap quit a bit, I'd pick one. The Verdict is probably ok for overstable.

You're getting the same general distance as me and my Star Valk does a nice S-turn. Is the Champ Valk Overstable for you?

I'd also recommend finding a more overstable putter. From the numbers the Ion shouldn't be much different from the Judge.

I don't have an understable mid, as you surmised. i generally throw a forehand if I have an upshot that needs to go right. I will look at an understable mid though; I always love an opportunity to research/buy more discs.

I have already kicked the Buzzz out of the bag in favor of the Claymore. I love the Claymore, it turns a little then comes back to center.

My Valk is a little overstable; hence the looking for a lighter speed 9. I just got a Lat 64 Opto Diamond that weighs 153g. I am throwing it for the first time tonight after work. It might be what I'm looking for.

I am not quite ready to switch putters and I already have an old DGA Breaker I use for the occasional short overstable upshot that I might use a putter for. Also, I'm thinking of a Harp as an overstable putter, useful in the wind, etc.

I will go and find a mold equivalent to the Stingray, probably something made by Trilogy, as the majority of my plastic is.

Thanks for your feedback! I really appreciate it. Always seeking ways to get better...

Tursas or Fuse in GL or recycled would probably do the trick for yah in that stingray spot, if/ when you're ready to check out the options in European plastics.

I haven't thrown Breakers but I hear the flight is very similar to the Harp, probably no need to swap over unless you (like me) like the thicker shape/ feel of the "almost" bead on the Harp.

Last edited:
Tursas or Fuse in GL or recycled would probably do the trick for yah in that stingray spot, if/ when you're ready to check out the options in European plastics.

I haven't thrown Breakers but I hear the flight is very similar to the Harp, probably no need to swap over unless you (like me) like the thicker shape/ feel of the "almost" bead on the Harp.

I was just looking at both the Tursas and the Fuse today, actually, so spot on recommendations. Probably going with a Fuse.

Latest posts