• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My father needs help.

primal dg

Eagle Member
My fathersnew to disc golf. hes been playing as much as he can lately. he throws a RHBH. Hes been trying every disc i have. no matter what disc he throws, blizz destroyer pro boss pro destroyers (they turn and burn) beasts archangels wolves buzzzes zombees vikings they all flip over go nowhere. he can sometimes get the cobra to flip over and glide.
but he has slow arm speed. what advice do u have to give.

It sounds like his form needs some help.

This is a good video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E4qyvYL-xs

And this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2OEZU9WYb0

This. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWUanMh9ERg

This too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3FEFoWRIMc&list=PL3AC295CD56519888

In this last video, look how Mike just kind of smoothly tosses the disc at the basket on his BH approach throws. All the videos mention, or show being smooth, and throwing on the line. It doesn't take a superhuman toss to get the disc to go straight at the target. It's all technique. Nice and smooth, but deliberate, and at the last second, you accelerate your movement so the disc gets some momentum before it leaves your hand.

Have your dad use your Zombee. Tell him to throw it like in the videos, across his chest, in a smooth line. It won't turn and burn on him that way. Smooth is far. And smooth helps with accuracy as well.

Encourage him and throw easier discs like a Leopard, Shark, Magic or Wizard putter. These are all very forgiving. Then watch the instructural videos.

Good thread. You see i started discing 2 years ago, and i just turned 47, I have done what many people have done, I thought high speed discs meant throwing further. I watched many videos, read a bunch at various disc golf sites and changed my whole approach, 9 speed is my fastest disc i use and I do not use it to much, my main driver is either a TL or i have found one that works wonders for me and that is the JLS from millennium. The discs that other people have mention on this post should work for him very well. I just wanted to put in my to cents on this and the biggest thing that has helped me is the weight of the disc. I started out using max weight discs and after spending several hundred dollars i have figured out that drivers between 164-167g work best for me. For my mids i try staying right at 170g, and putters i use 172-175g. I figure that with my age my body may never allow me to throw 400 ft but i have worked up to over 300 feet, the best thing i do is go down to a field and just practice my drives and work on my technique. Tell your dad not to give up, he will get better but like many things in life it takes time, dedication, and hard work. Good Discing. Oh and one more thing, I also live in iowa maybe someday we can disc together, my son also discs with me and got me started.

Last edited:
I think the Comet will be the easiest disc for him to get a feel for the sport in terms of aiming shots, and the disc listening to him, while also telling you what his form is. Comets are fantastic litmus tests of form.

I think it will also serve you well to let him continue to work on drivers, maybe doing field work with him, to teach him the value of low, fast driving technique as well. I'd recommend something slower, especially in DX, and/or 150g class, just so he gets a feel for it easier. Leopards, Stratus, Eclipse, Diamond all come to mind.

Okay, so are there any similar instructional vids for women disc golfers by women disc golfers? Any vids from touring women pros that you know of? My wife asked me this question after viewing a couple of the vids on this thread.

I had the same problem with a 62 year old friend.

Had him forehand flick O/S & U/S discs, one of each. He dropped 6 strokes after one week. Easier on the body also :clap:

66 years old. 165g Sidewinder and 165g Roadrunner. 173g Yeti Aviar. 165g Aftershock. Good to go. Never fool with over a 9 Speed disc. Use a 165g Jackal sometimes too.

Okay, so are there any similar instructional vids for women disc golfers by women disc golfers? Any vids from touring women pros that you know of? My wife asked me this question after viewing a couple of the vids on this thread.

My apologies, I did not intend to hijack this thread!

Stop throwing such os and fast discs. Agree with the zombee as a good place to start but why would a boss or destro be a disc given to a beginner?

Also don't overlook the forehand, i have a few older friends that i have helped get started and they gravitated to the forehand a little easier. (just make sure he doesn't fall in love with flexing it and he learns to flip it.)

Stop throwing such os and fast discs. Agree with the zombee as a good place to start but why would a boss or destro be a disc given to a beginner?

Also don't overlook the forehand, i have a few older friends that i have helped get started and they gravitated to the forehand a little easier. (just make sure he doesn't fall in love with flexing it and he learns to flip it.)

i gave him every disc i owned and told him to go throw them. thats why he even touched those. but im pretty sure he learned quick he cant throw them.

oh and to everyone else! thank you. i told him to find a 5 speed and a 6-7 and see what happens. dx and 150-165s? he going to the store today!

Last edited:
My dad has bad vertigo and has undergone several service related brain surgeries. He tries to go cause I like golfing and he is my best friend. He has had zero success with any disc but the Millennium JLS. Not the premium plastics, the cheap stuff. He can get those out to about 200'. He turns every midrange and putter over out of the hand, but can put a little game together with the JLS. His form no doubt needs work. He also can't stand up straight, spin, look up, look left, or right quickly without collapsing.

So I reccommend discs in base or midgrade plastics with a little bit of turn and fade. JLS, XL, Cheetah, Cyclone in midgrade plastics would all be a good place to start. As he learns the disc they will break in and become longer, which is motivation to continue. And don't go super light weight, they are more touchy to less than perfect form.

Latest posts