• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My Final 2009 Summer Roadtrip Schedule

Greg Layton

Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
Well, after roughly 8 months of planning and at least three revisions, I've come up with my final schedule. My roadtrip starts off a week from today (Friday, July 3) and extends until Monday, July 13. During that 11 day stretch I will play 25 courses in eight days and visit New York City for the first time. I'm also scheduled to meet and play with several folks from DGCR and play four courses with a buddy of mine in Richmond that I haven't seen since he was the best man at my wedding nearly three years ago.

Without further ado, here's what the final draft. (Please note that I'm no longer looking for recommendations.)

7/3/2009 FRI
Leave GR 12:00 AM
Charlie Vettiner 7:00 AM
Freeman Lake 9:30 AM
Lover's Lane 2:00 PM
Holler in the Hills 4:00 PM
Hotel - Lebanon, TN 7:30 PM

7/4/2009 SAT
Leave Hotel 5:00 AM
Groves Park 7:30 AM
Warriors 11:00 AM
Sugaree 2:30 PM
High Country 5:30 PM
Hotel - Greensboro, NC 9:00 PM

7/5/2009 SUN
Leave Hotel 7:00 AM
Cedarock Park 7:30 AM
Wellspring 9:00 AM
Lake Park 1:00 PM
Arrive in Richmond 3:30 PM

7/6/2009 MON
Free day with the wife

7/7/2009 TUE
Leave Richmond 6:00 AM
The Grange - Sunnyside 7:30 AM
The Grange - Darkside 9:00 AM
Hawk Hollow 11:30 AM
Walnut Creek 4:00 PM
Richmond

7/8/2009 WED
The Woodshed 10:30 AM
Whippin' Post 1:00 PM
Hotel - Morgantown, WV 6:00 PM

7/9/2009 THU
Deer Lakes 7:30 AM
Knob Hill 10:00 AM
Moraine State Park 12:30 PM
Arrive Nescopeck, PA 6:00 PM

7/10/2009 FRI
Leave Nescopeck 6:00 AM
Jordan Creek 7:30 AM
Little Lehigh 9:30 AM
Tinicum Park 12:00 PM
Tyler State Park 2:30 PM
Arrive Nescopeck 7:00 PM

7/11/2009 SAT
Free day with wife in NYC

7/12/2009 SUN
Leave Nescopeck 5:00 AM
Brakewell 7:30 AM
Arrive Nescopeck 3:00 PM

7/13/2009 MON
Drive home

I admit, this is a daunting schedule. I'll be playing in 80-90 degree temps on the toughest terrain I have yet to experience. I'll take my time and enjoy myself. It's possible I might not hit the last course on a couple of days, especially early on. However, I believe in pushing myself on road trips and I gained experience on a similar trip out west last summer. I look forward to challenging myself, playing some amazing courses, and meeting some great people. Hell, I might even have time to take a few notes in order to write a review or two. :)

Last edited:
That's quite a schedule! Looks like you're going to have a great time playing some great courses. I hope you guys don't get too tired and cut out any courses;)

As much as I love Charlottesville and The Nut, I would suggest going North on I-95 from Fredericksburg and hitting Giles Run, which is located in Lorton, Virginia. It's a new course, so not as "nice" as Walnut, but it's more challenging technically and if played Pro to Pro, as gruelling a challenge as you'll face all week (The Woodshed and Hawk Hollow being excepted).

Anyhow, just a suggestion, hope you enjoy your trip!

7/3/2009 FRI
Hotel-Lebanon, TN 7:30 PM

Hey, just as a thought, you may considering playing Holler in the Hills before Lover's Lane. You will definitely be backtracking to get to Holler from LL. Also, LL is a much easier course with minimal elevation, Holler has some extreme elevations, after 3 rounds, this one will be super tough in the heat. This will be a long, busy day of DG and driving, LL will be much easier for your last course.

Hey, just as a thought, you may considering playing Holler in the Hills before Lover's Lane. You will definitely be backtracking to get to Holler from LL. Also, LL is a much easier course with minimal elevation, Holler has some extreme elevations, after 3 rounds, this one will be super tough in the heat. This will be a long, busy day of DG and driving, LL will be much easier for your last course.

Thanks for the headsup. I hadn't put my final plan into google maps yet. No sense in backtracking.

As much as I love Charlottesville and The Nut, I would suggest going North on I-95 from Fredericksburg and hitting Giles Run, which is located in Lorton, Virginia. It's a new course, so not as "nice" as Walnut, but it's more challenging technically and if played Pro to Pro, as gruelling a challenge as you'll face all week (The Woodshed and Hawk Hollow being excepted).

Anyhow, just a suggestion, hope you enjoy your trip!

Wanted to add that Giles is built on the grounds of an old prison, and features some of the most pristine land you'll ever see in an suburban setting. The land was part of a 200 plus acre Prison Plantation actually run by the District of Columbia. When the prison closed, they gave the land back to Fairfax County. As a result, we have a 53 acre plot of unspoiled land with some of the most breathtaking scenery you'll ever see. IF you do go, however, be prepared, as it does have lots of thorns and ticks. Those things aside, I would definately rank this as a "must play" for the uniqueness and challenge it provides.

brakewell (warwick) is awesome..try to squeeze in 2-3 rounds if you can..with 2 tees and 2 baskets on every hole, you will have a blast..hit the skylands message board if you want a guide/some company

brakewell (warwick) is awesome..try to squeeze in 2-3 rounds if you can..with 2 tees and 2 baskets on every hole, you will have a blast..hit the skylands message board if you want a guide/some company

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to playing both courses there. Hoping to get there at sunrise and play until lunchtime as I don't really have any time restrictions on that day. We'll see how it goes.

Wanted to add that Giles is built on the grounds of an old prison, and features some of the most pristine land you'll ever see in an suburban setting. The land was part of a 200 plus acre Prison Plantation actually run by the District of Columbia. When the prison closed, they gave the land back to Fairfax County. As a result, we have a 53 acre plot of unspoiled land with some of the most breathtaking scenery you'll ever see. IF you do go, however, be prepared, as it does have lots of thorns and ticks. Those things aside, I would definately rank this as a "must play" for the uniqueness and challenge it provides.

I thought about Giles, but I'm not going to play it. I'm sure I'll make it back to Virginia in a couple of years since my wife's parents live there.

wolfe woods wasn't done last time i was there..forgot there were 2 actual 18's there...but with brakewell having 4 layouts to choose from, wolfe what?

7/3/2009 FRI
Hotel - Lebanon, TN 7:30 PM

7/4/2009 SAT
Groves Park 7:30 AM
Warriors 11:00 AM
Sugaree 2:30 PM
High Country 5:30 PM
Hotel - Greensboro, NC 9:00 PM

7/5/2009 SUN
Leave Hotel 7:00 AM
Cedarock Park 7:30 AM
Wellspring 9:00 AM
Lake Park 1:00 PM
Arrive in Richmond 3:30 PM

7/6/2009 MON
Free day with the wife

7/7/2009 TUE
The Grange - Sunnyside 7:30 AM
The Grange - Darkside 9:00 AM
Hawk Hollow 11:30 AM
Walnut Creek 4:00 PM
Richmond

7/8/2009 WED
The Woodshed 10:30 AM
Whippin' Post 1:00 PM
Hotel - Morgantown, WV 6:00 PM

7/9/2009 THU
Deer Lakes 7:30 AM
Knob Hill 10:00 AM
Moraine State Park 12:30 PM
Arrive Nescopeck, PA 6:00 PM

7/10/2009 FRI
Leave Nescopeck 6:00 AM
Jordan Creek 7:30 AM
Little Lehigh 9:30 AM
Tinicum Park 12:00 PM
Tyler State Park 2:30 PM
Arrive Nescopeck 7:00 PM

7/11/2009 SAT
Free day with wife in NYC

7/12/2009 SUN
Leave Nescopeck 5:00 AM
Brakewell 7:30 AM
Arrive Nescopeck 3:00 PM

7/13/2009 MON
Drive home

Glad to see you're spending so much quality time with your wife ;).

I'm trying to figure out how I could sell my wife on an eleven day vacation during which I only would spend two days with her... :D

Latest posts