• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] My Great Putter Problem

I'm putting at the moment with Judges. But the issue is that it seems a tad too... thick? Mostly, I feel like my grip isn't consistent and sometimes my middle finger slips and I lose my aim. When I'm on, the Judge is amazing. But it just doesn't feel right. I wish I knew how to describe it better.
I know exactly what you're saying. We put our hands on putters more than any other disc in our bags, so feel is critical. Not feeling comfortable with your putter leads to thinking about it, which leads to over-thinking about it, which probably leads to missed putts, which more than likely leads to irresponsible life choices. Once you get something in your hand that you WANT in your hand, then you can check one thing off your 'mental checklist', stop thinking about it and go about banging putts!

Not feeling comfortable with your putter leads to thinking about it, which leads to over-thinking about it, which probably leads to missed putts, which more than likely leads to irresponsible life choices

That is epic. This may be sig worthy

I would recommend the Prodigy PA3. They are shallow, beaded and straight to stable. I have a pair in 350g for putting duties only and I love them. I can't say anything about the 300 plastic.

I agree with the pa3 in 350g. Sounds like exactly what your looking for. Great putter!

I believe the ridge is different, significantly. Much more hss and lss. Drops quite fast, but I haven't putted enough with the judge to compare much on that front.

I like the ridge a lot. Good for that big bead feel in a quite flat profile. Fantastic all around use, putting, approach and driving both fh and bh.

I'm putting at the moment with Judges. But the issue is that it seems a tad too... thick? Mostly, I feel like my grip isn't consistent and sometimes my middle finger slips and I lose my aim. When I'm on, the Judge is amazing. But it just doesn't feel right. I wish I knew how to describe it better.

I think everyone goes through this. Most of us know what your talking about. There's a new DD video where Greg Barsby basically says he tweaks his putting for how he feels that day. There are good and bad putting days and when you switch between multiple putters you might just catch one on a bad putting day and loose confidence in the mold. Pbmercil said it pretty well. Just pick the mold that feels and releases right for you the highest percentage of the time and stick with it good or bad. Just keep it in your bag and putt as much as possible. For me the Anode felt right about 75-80% of the time so I stuck with it and a few months later my putting just zeroed in and my confidence skyrocketed which in turn helped me make more putts. I still go through rough rounds. if you like MVP/Axiom try the Anode or Envy. The Proxy might be one worth waiting for as well. Good luck!

Zero Medium Pure. Shallow, great plastic, stable.

Nailed it. And get an Opto for driving. I personally use a few ZHs for putting, ZM for jump putts, Beat ZH for understable drives, and an Opto for straight with a tiny fade.

I also carry a beat BT hard harp that is a bit more OS than the Opto pure, and a fresh VIP for all other OS duties.

Good luck

I have never understood how people putt with stable to overstable putters. I guess i just don't have the power.

For me, it's not as much about power, but that I want to be able to putt and approach in wind with confidence.

And I really appreciate all the help. I'll try and get out and putt some this week and see if I can't make a decision. Or at least attempt to. I know I need to just pick something and stick with it... hopefully this will help.

I like to use putters that I know im going to use for upshots as well. I loved using Challengers because they were money for upshots and the Pro-D plastic is money as well. I switched to Judges last year because I wanted something a smidge less overstable but I had to get used to the fact that they flew alot different on my upshots.

I would stick with the Judges. I am a very streaky putter and lord knows there has been days when I want to chuck the Judges in the trash but I think that would happen with any putter I was using at that time.

I putt with Judges too and I think they meet your wish list. My only problem with them can be the wind. Which seems to be the problem with you too?

I feel as though your post completely summarized my need for a putter. I am using the ion right now and have used the wizard and don't like either of them.

I end up just using my buzzz to put as it is sturdy and stable like you were saying

I feel as though your post completely summarized my need for a putter. I am using the ion right now and have used the wizard and don't like either of them.

I'm going to try and put the Pure and Judge through their paces to compare them. I'll let you know what I think.

I would also recommend the Vibram Ridge as well based on your requirements. The Vibram Summit may also work for you. It is more understable that the Ridge. I have all of the Vibram putters in my bag. I put with a Vibram Sole in the soft compound.

I hope this doesn't come across a$$y, but I feel like putting is more about what's going on between the ears than between the fingers. Circle putting especially, the mold is really secondary.

My two cents, start with the plastic you like the feel of. Sit around watching TV or whatever and hold some putters and see which one you notice in your hand least. Go with the color that says "going in." Don't mess with one if you think the name's stupid or if the stamp looks ugly.

I'm kind of kidding around, but my theory is, you'll make more putts with a putter that you know is the one, rather than hoping to find the one by putting and seeing which goes in for you. That's the cart before the horse, so to speak.

Then it's just, the basket is your buddy. Toss it to your buddy.

One guy's opinion.

I hope this doesn't come across a$$y, but I feel like putting is more about what's going on between the ears than between the fingers. Circle putting especially, the mold is really secondary.

My two cents, start with the plastic you like the feel of. Sit around watching TV or whatever and hold some putters and see which one you notice in your hand least. Go with the color that says "going in." Don't mess with one if you think the name's stupid or if the stamp looks ugly.

I'm kind of kidding around, but my theory is, you'll make more putts with a putter that you know is the one, rather than hoping to find the one by putting and seeing which goes in for you. That's the cart before the horse, so to speak.

Then it's just, the basket is your buddy. Toss it to your buddy.

One guy's opinion.

I'd agree to a point. I think once you find the putter that works for your hand then it's all mental. Prior to that, I can say from experience that if you have a putter that doesn't fit your hand perfect then you aren't going to putt the same. Of course, I think some are fine picking up any putter because they are all comfy for the most part...but I think how it feels and fits in your hand really has a huge impact on how it leaves your hand.

I've got small hands aswell, and I really like my McPro Aviars. If you want a more rubbery feel, you might want to check out the DX Glow Aviar. I've tried it a few times, and it might be what you are looking for. It's not as stiff as the McPro, and it breaks in faster.

Latest posts