• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My guide to finding lost discs

Its usually shorter then you think

Fixed it.

Also, if you haven't found it after awhile go back to the tee or your mark and play the shot back again in your head. You'll sometimes find you've been searching at the wrong entry point.

Its always shorter then you think

^ this, usually.

I tend to start looking short of where I think it ended up, and usually walk straight to my disc. I'm surprised at how many times the disc is shorter than what people think, and at how few times it's actually been farther.

Eventually, gridding off the area is the only way to go.

Mark Ellis gave me the best piece of advice when it comes to lost discs I've personally ever received and I quote "hhmmm.... its okay, they'll make more".

Hey welcome to the site, I did a thread once and they tore me to pieces, So far they have behaved.

all my threads sucked though

^It's better than 4 golfers walking the same paths over and over again when the disc is resting a foot away out of sight....

Mark Ellis gave me the best piece of advice when it comes to lost discs I've personally ever received and I quote "hhmmm.... its okay, they'll make more".

Marketing will love to hear people saying that

I am not in a position of authority on this topic since I lose discs at an astonishing and embarrassing rate. However, I am fond of the "go back to the tee" plan of action on anything that isn't a completely blind landing. Gridding is also a good backup plan if you are willing to dedicate a lot of time to making sure it gets found (beat-up Champ Teebirds don't get to disappear. Ever.)

Welcome to the site! Here are my rules ...

Rule #2: Go back to the teepad and replay your shot. See where the disc went, and then see Rule #1.

This is a big one for me I've found lots of discs this way. I can be looking for close to 15 minutes and find nothing so I go back to the teepad and visualize the flight. Always find them immediately after that.

lot of mine are farther than I think

I have this experience most often. My two most commonly thrown discs are big skippers, and I find if I am having trouble finding my disc, if I just add 25 feet onto where I thought it stopped, I usually find it in short order.

Oh, and don't throw dark purple Opto plastic in a heavily forested course, that too.

Its always shorter then you think

Not always. I was playing with a semi-noob who could only throw about 250'. We come to a 600' slow right turning hole. This is a hole that most people throw a big anhyzer, which is what he did, but he used a 150 Flick. What he ended up doing was accidentally throwing a perfect distance anhyzer. After searching for 15 minutes we finally decided to give up and as we walked to the basket we found his disc about 200' farther than where the average drive lands on that hole.

Latest posts