• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My guide to finding lost discs

I started working on rollers today so I was throwing 5 rollers from each tee or so, and I spent SOO much time looking for them SOB's. I very rarely lose discs because Im pretty good at either judging distances or making mental notes of "yeah that landed about 30ft to the right of that tree" but when tossing a hand full of rollers, my intuition about there it SHOULD land goes right out the window. I didnt loose any today but I spent about 20 min looking for one that must have done something CRAZY as it went down the crest of a blind hill.

I guess I need to develop my roller finding as well as my roller throwing here before I start using this toss around other people!

...or because i throw more than one off the tee then leave one behind. i think the problems might be related.

the dreaded second-throw-syndrome. everyone is subject to its effects so as more than one disc is thrown from any given area.

one of my rules i designated long ago, 'dont throw a disc you just found until you leave the course.'

(1).you dont know what it'll do. (2).nor will you remember you threw it-has no spot in the bag. (3). *its not yours until you leave the course.

*fail to return lost plastic if asked and may the worst joojoo fall upon you, or get your a$s beat, bag check, ive thrown fist on a course for this exact reason, shouldve been avoided but ignorance runs thick, so is my head

OH! I have a favorite strategy/phrase I use when searching for lost discs, especially with newer players

"where you headed, hercules?"

New players tend to walk WAY past where their disc landed. I still do the same. Pick where you think it landed. walk about 30 feet closer to the tee, and you'll see it

My top to every new disc golf player is that the disc always goes farther than you think, of you are using some sort of champion or g star plastic the disc will usually skip when throwing for hand.

Another great tip is to always look up and underneath things. i remember this drive that i had and after 20 minutes of searching my friend found it stuck underneath a stone wall. Ya ikr how does a disc get lodged underneath a stone wall?

PS: JUST KEEP LOOKING, U WILL FIND IT

Holy blast from the past! You really are persistent. It must have taken some digging to find this thread.

Of course we all know the best way to make sure you don't lose a disc is to have lots of eyes on it as you throw. However, I play alone a bunch. And when you're as good as I am (not), chances are you'll spend a good chunk of time searching for that errant annie shot that didn't flip back over, or that hyzer that doglegged before the dogleg...Anyway, I've had pretty good luck with two disc finding techniques and I thought I'd share.

1) Visualize where the disc would've gone if there weren't any trees/bushes/brush to disturb the flight path. Guess where it would've landed the best that you can, then start there, and make a path back to where you lost sight of the disc. Unless you ricocheted it off a tree at 500 mph, it's been my experience that this usually works.

2) If tip one doesn't work, I'll try to get as high up as possible in the general area that the disc might be. Down here in Louisiana, that's often a down tree. I've found that a lot of times finding a disc just involves changing your perspective a bit.

Finally, and I imagine most dg players are pretty good with this, don't worry about snakes/spiders/sloths/creepy crawlies of any kind.
In fact, don't even think about them. I've walked through thousands of webs and never been bitten. Also, I've seen countless snakes and 100% of the time, they saw me first and made the decision to go in the other direction, rather than unleash their snake fury on me or offer me some tasty forbidden fruit.

What techniques do you have for finding those discs you spent good money on?

Good necrobump. The bolded is so true, in addition to tough and nasty flora. I played some swat golf this summer, and my golfer friends would crack up at me crashing into the shule, without much fear, to look for my ball. Most of them would stand on the edge poking the nasty with their clubs.

One tip I'd give to players is to ditch the headphones/earbuds. If you can't hear it is much more difficult to judge where exactly your shots go, especially if you're out practicing and throwing multiple shots. Being able to hear is huge because it gives you context in where your disc is going.

I dont lose discs......I set them free

I guess that makes me a 'Freedom Flighter'. I'm down five in the last 3 months. :eek:

You set it all free
This is my kiss goodbye
You can stand alone and watch me fly
Cause nothing's keeping me down

After watching one of my buddies step in a tick bomb and get literally covered in them at my local course, I always ask myself how much I'll really miss that disc if I can't find it pretty quickly...

Going along with that, even the most erratic throw from a disc you aren't that fond of will always land in a nice clear spot of the rough. Your favorite disc can land 1ft from the fairway and become invisible.

Im hoping now that the weather is cooler and some brush is thinning I'll be able to find a couple discs that went astray this summer. I miss my hot pink buzzz :(

After watching one of my buddies step in a tick bomb and get literally covered in them at my local course, I always ask myself how much I'll really miss that disc if I can't find it pretty quickly...

Going along with that, even the most erratic throw from a disc you aren't that fond of will always land in a nice clear spot of the rough. Your favorite disc can land 1ft from the fairway and become invisible.

Im hoping now that the weather is cooler and some brush is thinning I'll be able to find a couple discs that went astray this summer. I miss my hot pink buzzz :(

dejavu

dejavu all over again!

Critters most certainly do not bother me. When I was a kid I used to swim the golf course ponds looking for golf balls to sell and get into the disc golf course ponds to retrieve discs but I usually kept those. I used to do a lot of backpacking and have slept in some crazy places in some crazy conditions. I've almost been bitten by a timber rattle snake and have come across more copperheads than I can count. I would literally belly crawl through hell's fury looking for a disc I like. Its a feel thing for me. Sure the disc can be replaced, but losing a vital disc that is broken in perfectly really sucks!

One tip I'd give to players is to ditch the headphones/earbuds. If you can't hear it is much more difficult to judge where exactly your shots go, especially if you're out practicing and throwing multiple shots. Being able to hear is huge because it gives you context in where your disc is going.

This. I think people need to pay close attention to the sound a disc makes after it goes out of sight. You can often tell the difference between a solid tree hit and one that is more of a deflection. You can hear it hit the ground or something concrete sometimes or whether or not it landed in leaves. If you hear nothing, its probably stuck up in a tree. If you hear someone scram you may have hit a person, LOL. That combined with walking back to the tee pad to visualize the route are the best clues for me to find the wayward disc. As I've gotten older, my ability to judge distances have gone down hill but my hearing is still excellent.

Or, I call this one friend who has this uncanny ability to walk right in to a lost disc situation and find it in like 2 minutes.

Sorry for the long post but one more thing. If it's a course you play allot, you'll start to see a pattern of where discs tend to collect i.e. certain ditches and walls of vines etc. I always look there first. If I don't find my disc, I'll sometimes find someone elses'.

Or, I call this one friend who has this uncanny ability to walk right in to a lost disc situation and find it in like 2 minutes.

I've played a round or two with guys like that. They don't even see the throw but magically find it under a pile of leaves deep in the rough in about 30 seconds

I'll second the recommendation to listen. Once I threw deep into the tall grass and I'm sure the only reason I found the disc was because I heard it hit one of the only downed logs laying out there.

Also, for some reason many of my lost discs end up being in a better position than I thought. Closer to the basket or fairway than I thought, sometimes by quite a bit. I think this is mental. I must assume that since I threw away from the line I wanted, it must be a bad shot and I start looking farther away from the fairway/green than I should.

I've played a round or two with guys like that. They don't even see the throw but magically find it under a pile of leaves deep in the rough in about 30 seconds

I play with that guy almost every round.

2 weeks ago he pulled another buddy's disc out of the pond at night after about 20 seconds of poking around with a stick. Disc had no light and the Finder didn't even watch the throw.

I play with that guy almost every round.

2 weeks ago he pulled another buddy's disc out of the pond at night after about 20 seconds of poking around with a stick. Disc had no light and the Finder didn't even watch the throw.

Conspiracy, time to call Alex Jones lol. That is actually pretty lucky IMO.

Latest posts