• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My guide to finding lost discs

Conspiracy, time to call Alex Jones lol. That is actually pretty lucky IMO.

It is not luck. He just has a knack for finding discs. He was (once again) using a stick to pull (this time) my disc out of the Tar River yesterday, my disc was about 6' out and 3' deep and I could only just barely see it. Not only did he see and get mine, he saw another farther out that he was able to get too. Turned out it belongs to a visitor from Missouri. Gave the disc to Hawk (the owner of Tar River) who is going to send it home to its owner.

I use the same method that the FBI uses for searches. I go to where I think the disc should have landed, then I spiral around that point until I find it.

You also have to think like a disc. What direction was the spin? It makes it easier to find when it gets wrapped up in some long tendrils.

It all comes down to how badly you really want a disc back, and what you'll do to retrieve it. Many discs I find on courses are almost in plain sight. Like someone threw it, took a casual look for it and then moved on. Your best bet for finding discs in bushes or thick weeds is simply to pay close attention to where your shot lands. That way even if you have to dig around you know WHERE to dig around. Searching a huge area blindly will most often result in failure.

Lakes are the real killer around here. Several courses I know of have large lakes on numerous holes. They aren't deep though. If you wade in the lakes you can find tons of discs at a time. People throw discs in lakes and automatically give up on them.

I trained my dog, a Labrador, to Spot discs and to search for them if i give a command.
He loves to run behind the disc an sit near by, waiting for me to come.

If the disc fly into big brushes etc. we search together. He search like hell. In the most time he brings it back to me, with the disc stuck very light in his front teeth, and lay it to my feet. ( Because normally he got his own Frisbee and is not allowed to touch my discs. )
Its crazy he can find the disk, even ift it stucks high into brushes etc.

If you think the disc is going to be hard to find, watch the flight path as far as you can and don't take your eyes off where you think it went.

Another deterrent to losing discs is to refrain from throwing 2nd shots. I don't lose too many discs, but I swear that I spend so much more time looking when I decide to take a curiosity 2nd shot.

If you think the disc is going to be hard to find, watch the flight path as far as you can and don't take your eyes off where you think it went.

Another deterrent to losing discs is to refrain from throwing 2nd shots. I don't lose too many discs, but I swear that I spend so much more time looking when I decide to take a curiosity 2nd shot.

This is very true. I've done it before too. You follow one questionable shot up with another... and end up with 2 discs to find rather than one.

I've seen guys throw multiple discs in a row into lakes off the tee. They make the same exact (bad) shot twice. No need to lose more discs than you have to.

Last weekend:

Throw multiple shots in a casual round all day long in the woods into 4-6" of snow cover. Find everything.

Lose a bright yellow disc in the field.

>.<

Thought of this thread yesterday afternoon. Played a round in the snow, but did not adjust my bag accordingly. Threw my trustiest PFN Star Teebird on a hole I always throw it on, but exclaimed, "IT'S WHITE" as the disc finished its flight. It was down the fairway and within putting range, but I still spent at least 15 minutes looking for it. Take the white discs out of the bag until spring, friends. I almost lost a good one yesterday.