• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] My search for perfect lazer straight mid-range

For your power a Buzzz SS should work - I've got one that unless I use full power is a laser. But i've also seen Makos be dead straight. But as mentioned Makos do seem to be a little sensitive. If I remember correctly Mako isn't as shallow as the Buzzz.

In my experience a buzzz ss can take a bit more power before flipping over, but the tangent is dead nuts straight the whole way when thrown flat. It powers up nice for hyzer flips, down nice without any fade coming back at the end, whereas the ss will fade a bit when dialed back.

tangent, man, tangent. as a bonus, the non-stamped neutrons look the business and make an awesome canvas if you're into personalizing it.

Last edited:
In my experience a buzzz ss can take a bit more power before flipping over, but the tangent is dead nuts straight the whole way when thrown flat. It powers up nice for hyzer flips, down nice without any fade coming back at the end, whereas the ss will fade a bit when dialed back.

tangent, man, tangent. as a bonus, the non-stamped neutrons look the business and make an awesome canvas if you're into personalizing it.

Good to hear as a Tangent is on the way :clap:

At Middle Creek I use a Mako or Fuse for every hole except 3, 6 and 15. With MC you either want to go dead straight or on some holes you want to hyzerflip something so you can negotiate the early and late slight bends in the fairway.

No driver on 16?

I'll echo the tangent (as well as the impact, buzzz ss, and comet). As your arm speed increases, you'll get that 20 ft. with a putter, and that will have even less fade (I'd throw a beat pro rhyno for a 200 ft. tunnel, or if a bit longer, likely the tangent)

BTW, somewhat unreplacable, but I had a very beat dx cheetah that was crazy straight out to about 300ft. Lost it. Replaced it. New one is an s-curvy mess.

Try beating in your buzzz a little more.

Funny that you mention changes to the Buzzz. I ordered mine as a misstamp from Marshalls but it wasn't really misstamped but actually a bit warped in a non symmetrical way. I was reading in another thread about another disc that putting a disc in hot water could restore the shape. Having nothing to lose since it wasn't going to make the bag as it was I put it on a stand in some water right below the boiling point and meant to leave it in for just a couple of minutes. Well I got sucked into reading more disc review on this site and kinda forgot about it for probably at least 20 minutes or so. Now after cooling my Buzzz is perfectly symmetrical but a little puddle topped/reverse dome/concave or however you like to phrase it. I'm sure it will have a different flight path and can't wait to throw it again to see what it does.

Ok. Do yourself a favor and go to the nearest disc shop and buy a Star Mako. NOW! I use it for the exact shot(s) you are describing, and fits 4 out of your 5 criteria. The only thing it doesn't fit is does not really have a shallow rim. I absolutely love mine, and I can power it down as much as needed and it will still go dead straight, no fade.

Ok. Do yourself a favor and go to the nearest disc shop and buy a Star Mako. NOW! I use it for the exact shot(s) you are describing, and fits 4 out of your 5 criteria. The only thing it doesn't fit is does not really have a shallow rim. I absolutely love mine, and I can power it down as much as needed and it will still go dead straight, no fade.

Thanks, I've been reading lots of review tonight on the Mako and Mako3. Can anyone describe the difference between these two. Specifically which one has the the least low speed fade.

Yeah Star Mako's are an incredibly straight flying disc. I used to bag one and i ended up giving it to a noob who wanted to play in our group. He was using a flx Drone and a Z Force and just couldn't understand why his throws weren't good. His first throw with the Mako was a 100 ft. approach that hit the basket and i'd like to think that because of the Mako he's still playing. I carry a max weight Opto Fuse for that slot now and don't think about Mako's anymore.

Thanks, I've been reading lots of review tonight on the Mako and Mako3. Can anyone describe the difference between these two. Specifically which one has the the least low speed fade.

The Star Mako is less touchy (Meaning less resistant to high speed turn / torque ) and is very easy to turn over. The Mako3 seems to have quite a bit more stability but it also has a mild fade if it's powered down

a buzz with a sunken top should be a lot less stable and maybe turnover.. u just may find next time u throw it u really like it. I think it is going to fly a lot straighter for u now

Another option for your power level is a lighter (170ish) warship. Thrown on a low-mid height line it will go dead straight, or hold a gentle hyzer or anny lines.

That's what I've tried so far. I've been spending a ton of time of these forums and notice that some people are really raving about some of the MVP discs so I ordered four of those yesterday and can't wait to try them out. I actually read someone say they fly too straight which made me chuckle a bit- i hope so.

Hopefully you ordered an Axis or a Tangent... One of these will work for you.

I feel like you're searching for a slightly-beat proton Axis.

Hopefully you ordered an Axis or a Tangent... One of these will work for you.

I feel like you're searching for a slightly-beat proton Axis.

Actually both :clap: I ordered one of everything on the understable to neutral side of their offerings - Anode, Tangent, Axis, and Amp.

I used to use Makos as my putter cause I want something with no Fade. I like the Warship for a little more distance. I can have a lot of wrist snap and found Truths to just go straight foe me, despite their numbers.

I can only recommend molds that I've thrown so I would have to say either a comet, tangent or mako. All three can give you the line you want. Personally, I bag the comet and it excels at the flat, straight and very little to no fade line. And I feel that it outshines the other two in helping you develop proper mechanics as it is a little more touchy than the other two. I've bagged all three but the comet always puts a smile on my face when I throw it and that is why it's the mold that is bagged. Since you've already ordered a tangent, I would try that out for a while before you pick anything else up though.

Mako, Lycan, Mako3, M4, Impact ....Discraft Impact is a very straight flying disc....probably the straightest I've thrown...Also, Gazelle is too.

But dude....alllllllll discs have a shape to them, they will always turn or fade no matter what. Unless you give it the perfect amount of snap, angle, power, followthrough, and it lands on the ground before it has time to do anything else.....so....^^^ the above suggestions.....and if those dont work for you...quit disc golf