• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Prodigy] My thoughts on the D4

TOURNEYPLAYER

*Reform School Scholar*
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I am starting a thread because this disc is my new favorite driver. I was a little skeptical at first. but over time it is the most consistent disc for me.

I can throw it hard and flat, and it does not turn over. It will go straight, a long ways. then fade. I can trust it no matter what.

I am going to be purchasing a few more of these in case I lose this one.

Havent thrown anything else except the D1. that was a little too much disc for me.

If you like the D4 I'd suggest the D3 (my pairing on drivers). Mine is great for long hard LHBH hyzer shots (#17 at Eastway, #10 at Kilborne, #7 at Bradford as good CLT course examples) where you need 375ft of arc to hit a 310-330 ft right turning hole. I can crank on it not worrying about it flipping or fading out on me.

I think mine is defective. It's extrememly understable, and not very long. May need more time with it, but for now, I just can't find a use for it. Mamba is better in the understable slot.

I'm confused. The stability goes from most overstable to least overstable: D1, D2, D3, D4 right?

I've only thrown one Prodigy disc. I bought a new D2 hoping it would be similar to my Echo Destroyers. I flipped it over first throw into a bog. Gone.

So the D4 isn't flippy?

Is this just a consistency issue?

I wouldn't consider the D4 majorly flippy, more of a neutral S line kind of disc. More like a faster Champ Valkryie. Nowhere near as flippy as RoadRunner, TD, TD2, Mamba, Sidewinder.

You need to factor in also your own throwing ability and arm speed, but yes there are consistency issues with every disc some more then others.

All the D4's i have thrown have been consistently flippy. I would also recommend a D3 it is a great hyzerflip bomber for me

I have a first run D4 that is Excalibur overstable. Either that or its a mislabeled D1. I also have a Proto D1 that is significantly less stable than my "D4".

I've found nothing but inconsistent runs with the D3 & D4 (protos and first runs). I like to buy discs and i buy a lot. I'm a 400ft guy and I can get the D1 to run like its supposed to. As far as the D3 & D4, I keep getting my hands on OS runs. Im waiting on the actually 400 stamp plastic to drop before i buy these two again.

All I know is mine is money!!!

Tbird witnessed a few bombs with it. especially on hole 1c at Stoney Hill.

with a head wind, It turned a little went straight, then faded as it should.

Lovely!!!

I have a first run D4 that is Excalibur overstable. Either that or its a mislabeled D1. I also have a Proto D1 that is significantly less stable than my "D4".

I got a first run D4 just last week that was also crazy overstable when I first threw it. Nothing like the proto D4 that my friend had let me try out. I noticed that there was a ton of flashing on the bottom, so I ground it off on a patch of rough asphalt and now the thing flies perfectly.

I was very skeptical of the whole Prodigy thing at first, and I'm still a little annoyed that I had to remove so much flashing to get one of their discs to fly properly, but I have to admit that they do feel amazingly nice and I do seem to get a good, consistent, clean release from my D4...

All I know is mine is money!!!

Tbird witnessed a few bombs with it. especially on hole 1c at Stoney Hill.

with a head wind, It turned a little went straight, then faded as it should.

Lovely!!!

I saw nothing! I was too busy playing in the schule to notice you destroying the course. :p

Seriously though, you were crushing that damn D4 all damn day!

I saw nothing! I was too busy playing in the schule to notice you destroying the course. :p

Seriously though, you were crushing that damn D4 all damn day!

The way i can best sum up my feelings on the D4. I am looking at a hole. ( I am a LHBH btw) I see OB, or creek, or whatever on the left. I need to get it to go at least 325 but more like 350-375. I look into my bag, here is what i have for that shot.

Flow,King,Archon,Saint,D4.

Now maybe I need some more overstable discs. but I have not had good luck with anything more overstable.

When this scenario comes up, I grab my D4, every single time. Every time.

The drivers are pretty full of consistency issues.

The D2 so far is my fav. But the clear ones ive thrown are terribly flippy. Like a seasoned d4. Grey, blue and orange seem to be pretty solid. All moderately os.

D1,3,4 ive thrown many and there are inconsitency issues in all of them. From what i can tell, having looked at all ohem side by side,
The D1 and 4 are unique. 1 has a sharp rim and a slanted wing, not really a transition there, maybe a slight one.
D4 has a thick, pretty blunt edge and a very low plh (well, a normal one).
The 2/3 are same disc with diff plh's. the 3 sits much lower. The wing and top are identical.

So knowing this you can find the stability you want, in person anyway.

Im tickled with my Proto D4. i got it the day my city did. sorry others arent as lucky as me.

Latest posts