• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Narrowing the search for a backpack bag

Venefice

I recently got a Prodigy BP-3 backpack to try out instead of an over-the-shoulder bags. Unfortunately, I overlooked how little storage space it actually has; besides the disc compartment, it only has two very small pockets for storage. So I am currently researching some larger bags so that I will be able to bring things like snacks, water, rain gear, etc. with me to the course. I am getting into disc golf more seriously than I have been in the past, so I don't mind spending a little more on something that I will hopefully last for years to come (and something that I have to use for every round :p). I listed some things I see as pros and cons for each bag I've looked at, in no particular order. Any input on pros/cons, comparisons of each bag, other recommendations, or any info that I am overlooking would be greatly appreciated!

1) Fossa Tana Pro:
Pros:
- Multiple pockets to organize your stuff
- Cheaper compared to most of the other considered bags
- I find the inside shelf/putter pocket interesting, it looks more efficient than bags that have the pocket on the flap like the Latitude 64 E3 or the Voodoo Spinal Tap 3. Not sure if that actually holds true or not
- I've heard the straps are very comfortable
- Rainfly included
Cons:
- I've heard that it is heavier than other bags. Not sure if true because I can't seem to find a weight for most of the bags
- Discs on the ends can be more difficult to remove. This happens with my BP-3 too, and while somewhat annoying it is not a dealbreaker.
- Only one water bottle pocket. Not a huge loss since I'm sure I could put drinks in the other pockets

2) Voodoo Spinal Tap 3:
Pros:
- Currently on sale for cheaper than the Tana Pro. I can't pull the trigger for at least another month so I don't know if this will still be the case when I actually go to buy a bag
- Medium price point for the considered bags.
- Rainfly included
Cons:
- Does not have separate pockets to organize items

3) Latitude 64 Luxury E3:
Pros:
- Same price range as the Tana Pro
- Rainfly included
- Adjustable disc dividers (this is the only bag I saw this listed for, do the others have this as well?)
Cons:
- Only one water bottle pocket. Not a huge loss since I'm sure I could put drinks in the other pockets

4) Hyzerbomb FlakX:
Pros:
- Rainfly included
Cons:
- Most expensive bag considered
- Appears to have less storage than the other bags

5) Disc Store Disc Golf Tournament Bag (I know, probably blasphemous since it isn't from a disc golf company; but I like to save money sometimes, and it it really cheap!)
Pros:
- Extremely cheap compared to the other considered bags
Cons:
- Less storage space than other bags
- I am concerned it may be poorly constructed due to the price point

Sorry for the wall of text. If anyone is reading this and is also looking for a new bag, I hope this also gives you a good starting point to figure out which one would work best for you. Thanks for taking the time to read all of this!

One of your cons for the Spinal Tap3 is the lack of pockets. There are pockets in side the big pocket for smaller items such as a phone and wallet. With the current sale this would be my choice out of the bags you listed.

If you have done so already, I would look up review videos on YouTube for the bags your looking at, this will show you all the little features of each bag.

Good luck

I personally carry a Fossa Tana. I would habe got the pro but it was a gift, the rainfly would be a bjce upgrade but I just use my umbrella when it's needed. Tana is a great bag that meets what youre looking for the pro is a little bigger so I'm sure it would work. Tana is a great looking, great performing bag and I will most likely carry Fossa for the rest of my DG career.

jckevns01, thanks for the info on the Spinal Tap! This was a late addition to the list, so I haven't had a chance to look at any review videos on it yet; I will have to take a look.

Grippenripp, I have seen you post on many of the bag forums advocating for the Tana. That is the bag I am currently leaning towards; we'll see if the Spinal Tap is still on sale by the time I actually get around to purchasing a bag! Thanks for your input!

Someone will eventually advise you to bite the bullet and get a Pound bag, which are expensive but are apparently extremely well made (I have never tried one personally). When I was first investigating large backpack bags, I tried the Lat64 luxury bag, a couple of Grip bags, a DD Ranger, and a UPD Rebel. I recommend you try on whatever bags you are seriously considering, as ergonomic differences can be significant. Among the large bags, the Rebel was by far the most comfortable for me; I have since downsized to a Shift, since I don't carry that many discs, but if I needed more storage, I would definitely go back to a Rebel. But some other people find the Grip bags really comfortable. I found the Lat64 bag pretty uncomfortable, for whatever reason.

Poisonbird, thanks for your input. Unfortunately, I don't know of any shops near me that would stock the bags to try on. I'll stay on the lookout though!

Any reason you haven't considered a Gorilla Boy Simian? It's got loads of storage (two huge side pockets, a smaller storage pocket inside, two drink holders and can easily fit 18 discs in the devoted carrying sections plus a possible 6 or so in each side pocket), is super light (until you pack all that storage to the hilt, anyway), is comfy, extremely durable (I've had mine for 4-5 years and the only wear it's shown is the color fading on the top from being out in the sun so much), is easily attached to a pull cart, and has a built in seat (!!!). The biggest con used to be the long wait - I waited something like 8 weeks to get mine - but judging by the website there doesn't seem to be much if any of a wait for one right now. I can't recommend it enough.

https://www.gorilla-boy.com/Simian/p1894890_9770492.aspx

Pound Octothorpe an Upper Park rebel are by far the two best large bags on the market, but they're online only, so no stores have them to try on. They're both popular, just go to a local league or tournament and ask someone to try on theirs. Rebel is so popular I kept putting stuff down in the wrong bag during lunch at my last tournament

Any reason you haven't considered a Gorilla Boy Simian?

Probably because I had never heard of it until now! It looks like a pretty cool bag, but I've never used anything with vertical storage. Have you experienced any issues using vertical storage for discs instead of horizontal? I feel like it would be more difficult to pull discs out and put them back in the bag. Also, does it come with a rainfly?

Last edited:
No, in fact I've come to prefer the vertical storage. There are three tiers, each of which holds ~4 discs, so it's convenient to keep your discs organized (I go drivers - fairways - mids from top to bottom respectively). They're nicely sized: spaced enough to get discs in/out easily, but snug enough that things don't slide out. The shelves are tilted downward a bit, so as long as the bag doesn't fall over they're in there fine. I had similar concerns about ease of access going into the bag, but it's a non-issue and I've grown to love the orientation, so I wouldn't worry about that at all.

There's no rain fly (though you may be able to purchase one separately, I don't remember), but the front has a built-in cover that you can zip down. That combined with the vertical storage means that your discs stay pretty dry in any kind of rain you might want to play through. That's at least been my experience, and living in New Orleans I've played my fair share of rounds in rainy conditions.

The only real con in this regard is that the putter pockets are exposed to the rain, but in such conditions I just move my putters to the bottom slot and then they're fine.

Also, real talk: the convenience of having a built-in stool is amazing. It's legit comfy too.

Great to hear! Thank you very much for the info; the stool does sound like a pretty awesome feature. I think I have a new front runner for a bag purchase. I'll have to check with them on how long it will take to get one since their store says they are only doing pre-orders.

Yeah in general he makes them on demand, but at times when business is slower he makes Simians in anticipation. I didn't see a wait time listed, so I assume it'll be pretty quick.

Glad you're looking into it. I think it's an amazing bag, and love supporting a one-man business.

I recently got a Prodigy BP-3 backpack to try out instead of an over-the-shoulder bags. Unfortunately, I overlooked how little storage space it actually has; besides the disc compartment, it only has two very small pockets for storage. So I am currently researching some larger bags so that I will be able to bring things like snacks, water, rain gear, etc. with me to the course. I am getting into disc golf more seriously than I have been in the past, so I don't mind spending a little more on something that I will hopefully last for years to come (and something that I have to use for every round :p). I listed some things I see as pros and cons for each bag I've looked at, in no particular order. Any input on pros/cons, comparisons of each bag, other recommendations, or any info that I am overlooking would be greatly appreciated!

1) Fossa Tana Pro:
Pros:
- Cheaper compared to most of the other considered bags
- I find the inside shelf/putter pocket interesting, it looks more efficient than bags that have the pocket on the flap like the Latitude 64 E3 or the Voodoo Spinal Tap 3. Not sure if that actually holds true or not
- I've heard the straps are very comfortable
- Rainfly included
Cons:
- I've heard that it is heavier than other bags. Not sure if true because I can't seem to find a weight for most of the bags
- Discs on the ends can be more difficult to remove. This happens with my BP-3 too, and while somewhat annoying it is not a dealbreaker.

2) Voodoo Spinal Tap 3:
Pros:
- Currently on sale for cheaper than the Tana Pro. I can't pull the trigger for at least another month so I don't know if this will still be the case when I actually go to buy a bag
- Medium price point for the considered bags.
- Rainfly included
Cons:
- Does not have separate pockets to organize items

3) Latitude 64 Luxury E3:
Pros:
- Rainfly included
- Adjustable disc dividers (this is the only bag I saw this listed for, do the others have this as well?)
Cons:

4) Hyzerbomb FlakX:
Pros:
- Rainfly included
Cons:

5) Disc Store Disc Golf Tournament Bag (I know, probably blasphemous since it isn't from a disc golf company; but I like to save money sometimes, and it it really cheap!)
Pros:
- Extremely cheap compared to the other considered bags
Cons:
- Less storage space than other bags
- I am concerned it may be poorly constructed due to the price point

Sorry for the wall of text. If anyone is reading this and is also looking for a new bag, I hope this also gives you a good starting point to figure out which one would work best for you. Thanks for taking the time to read all of this!

The Hyzerbomb bags have a habit of braking down. Other users on Youtube have pointed out over and over the bag wearing out on the top sew in part of the straps on both models.

I have not heard much bad of things about the Voodo or the Fosa Tanna Pro if any I can think of. I have heard about on the Fourms of DGCR one person having the Latude 64 bag failing and being uncomfortable for some players.

4) Hyzerbomb FlakX:
Pros:
- Rainfly included
Cons:

I was considering the FlakX last year, but read some reviews that the durability is not good. Back when they came out the customer support was pretty good (several people got the entire bag replaced) but I'm not sure if that's still the case.

Another one to look at is the Flak4, which is basically an updated version of the Flak3 which I used for two years of abuse and still have as my backup bag. The reviews I read of the Flak4 did not report as many durability issues, and it can be found new on eBay for <$200 shipped. It's a more "conventional" backpack bag with large storage compartment above the main disc pocket, plus a variety of smaller side pockets. One other note: I LOVE LOVE LOVE the side putter & mini storage on the Flak series. IMO, much better than the "quiver" style putter storage that seems to have become fairly ubiquitous in the backpack bag market.

A word on the Octothorpe/Octohaul: I bought an Octothorpe last year and love it. Yes, pricey. I carry a lot of stuff, and frankly I never need more space than the Thorpe offers. Can't imagine needing the extra storage of the Octohaul, but I guess some folks find use for it. It's a lot more common for me to realize I've been carrying 3 extra towels, or 2 sunscreens, than to think I need even more storage space. And that's on top of 20 discs, water, a few White Claws, etc. etc. etc.

Gorilla Boy Simian was on my short list last year, but they weren't in stock. Love the built-in stool concept.

I bought a disc store tournament bag to hold me over until I found the bag i actually wanted. It's a great bag for the price. Materials are definitely cheap, think lightweight canvas-like material found on cheap non-dg bags. It is very floppy as a result, but I put a next level pvc frame in which solved that problem. The flap does not stay put, solution is velcro. There is a ton of disc storage, I could easily squeeze 30 discs in the bag. The bag is also comfortable, and the straps are better than expected. It treated me well while I decided what I wanted, and despite the cheap material has not ripped.

I ended up deciding on a Fossa Tana in camo. Very happy with the bag, not a huge step up in price but for $65 it is an awesome bag. I'll be honest, the colour was the biggest deciding factor. Perfect amount of disc storage for me, discs are snug enough but not that bad to pull out on the side. I'm a big fan of the side putter pocket and disc slot in the main compartment, works well for tapping in and easily bagging an approach and putter without taking off the bag. I love how small the bag actually is, sits very nicely in the back, but still has enough room for a hoodie up top. I see no reason to get the pro, others may disagree.

Latest posts