• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Nate Sexton firebird

Request for those people who have received their USDGC Firebirds:

Can you post a profile picture of USDGC FB next to some other runs of Sexton Firebird? If you don't have any other Sexton FB, just post profile of the USDGC one. Thank you!

On the bottom of the flight plate, the USDGC Sextons have "Made in USA". The 15's have the marking from removalof the patent number.

So the 15s are made with the old mold top (that had the patent numbers sanded off), and the new ones (even if they are designed to be like the 15's), are made with a more recent top that does not have the name cut into the mold piece?

So the 15s are made with the old mold top (that had the patent numbers sanded off), and the new ones (even if they are designed to be like the 15's), are made with a more recent top that does not have the name cut into the mold piece?

There are 3 mold pieces used for a firebird. The "top" only is responsible for the top of the disc, it doesn't have anything to do with the tooling underneath. The USDGC version tops do seem very similar to 15s.
The tooling comes from the core mold piece, which must be different from 15s.

Sweet, came to post profile pics as well. As far as my USDGC goes; I threw it for all of my normal Firebird shots this weekend. The USDGCs plastic is slightly tackier and stiffer than the '16 was when new (take this with a grain of salt) and definitely a little more champy than the '17s. Flight wise, it has a slightly stronger fade than my '17s. When the USDGC is thrown flat it rides straight for about 330' then starts fading, but it doesn't dump. As usual its not quite stock Firebird OS but more in the C-PD/FD3 range. The USDCG does have a better feel in hand than the '17 but I usually like a little dome rather than flat and I really like this blend of Color Glow. The USDGCs definitely aren't domey per se, but mine does pop where my '17s won't. FH it is comfy and feels great under the thumb. I have not thrown a 2015 since, well 2015 so I cannot compare the two. Threw similar to my '16 and is very similar in shape; but my '16 pretty much flies just like a '17. Honestly, I can't really say these fly much different than the '17s other than what's to be expected with the slightly higher dome and newer disc. I hope they continue to run the USDGCs throughout the fall and into winter because they are nice throwers for sure.

I find my '17 to be champ firebird OS while the 15-16s are more like a CPD. Interesting

That is interesting. To me, my '17 flies like my seasoned '15. I bag a regular champ FB for my more OS firechicken.

I can completely agree with this. My first run Sexton has not left the bag since they first released. My '17 Sextons are close enough that I only bag them for shots I don't want to loose my beat up first run.

From my experience, the first release of 2017s and the second release of 2017s had a moderate dome and were much less os. But then the third was really flat and super OS. I haven't bought any sextons from the pro shop since tho, so I couldn't say anything for later releases

I got a completely flat color glow champion Firebird, it has an innova airforce stamp. CFR type disc. It's plenty stable for my arm, I mean its really overstable. More overstable than my Sparks, which are not new of course. The guy in the disc shop said they were more overstable than the normal sexton firebirds. The profile was certainly different as well, the Sextons had a bit of a dome while these airforce stamped ones were just flat ... maybe a 1-2mm tall dome. Its penned, not embossed

Last edited:
From my experience, the first release of 2017s and the second release of 2017s had a moderate dome and were much less os. But then the third was really flat and super OS. I haven't bought any sextons from the pro shop since tho, so I couldn't say anything for later releases

Only one I've thrown was flat and recently acquired, with the stability of a run of the mill champ FB. So this would make sense with what you're saying.

Hearing people and Nate say that the '17 is least stable made me very confused...I love throwing Firebirds and the one I tried certainly isn't a FAF champ, but it's also not a C-PD.

My '17 is pretty flat and maybe not even as stable as a full weight C-PD. Inconsistencies, who woulda thunk it.

I passed on these last night after hearing all the talk of how similar they are to the 17s

My '17 is pretty flat and maybe not even as stable as a full weight C-PD. Inconsistencies, who woulda thunk it.

Same here, mine is flat and flies like a long beat in teebird.

Definitely a different disc than the USDGC version that I just got, but it remains to see how it beats in.

My 17 beat in very quickly for a champion plastic. It definitely has its uses, but it isn't the meat hook most people think of when they think firebird. I'm hoping this new run seasons a bit more slowly.

Same here, mine is flat and flies like a long beat in teebird.

Definitely a different disc than the USDGC version that I just got, but it remains to see how it beats in.

My 17 beat in very quickly for a champion plastic. It definitely has its uses, but it isn't the meat hook most people think of when they think firebird. I'm hoping this new run seasons a bit more slowly.

Same with mine. I've bagged one of the 17's since early in the season when they were released, mine is flat, and I've throw star thunderbirds that are about the same stability. Actually have gotten way more use out of it, and have thrown in way more than I was expecting because of that. I was expecting it to be more overstable, since it is a firebird after all. Haven't thrown any of the USDGC run, but have a couple on the way. I do love the 17's though, they have much more use that simply a utility disc.

I passed on these last night after hearing all the talk of how similar they are to the 17s

So I just got a 17 sexton, and usdgc sexton in the mail. Haven't had a chance to throw them yet, but PLH seems to be the same on each, while the 17 sexton is very flat. USDGC has a mellow dome to it. Out of my 3 FBs, from flattest to domey, 17sexton, newish production champ, USDGC. I can't speak to how they compare in flight or how they season. But my production champ is no where near as over stable as the old 11Xs I used to have. Those were almost unthrowable for me.

Latest posts