• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Nate Sexton firebird

Got a few of the new ones. They feel much more grippy and a bit more flexible than my regular 17 ones. They feel really great. I may have to pick up a few more.

Question on the sexybirds - say I want to pair a FB with a 167g 12x FAF that I throw on OS trick shots. I'm thinking a less beefy FB would be nice, probably still max weight for wind fighting as I will be throwing it FH and BH, whereas the lighter FB will be more for overhand stuff mostly.

What plastic should I look for if I'm looking for a less OS firebird that still eats the wind? I have heard that non-tour series color glow flies similarly; maybe a basic star FB would be similar?

I've got a 167ish FAF Star that, like yours, is a utility disc. I used to pair it with a "normal" Star that was a real workhorse. When that one beat in, I found its twin. It eventually beat in and got traded away. Haven't played much the last two years and haven't replaced that workhorse Firebird yet.

So I'm in a similar boat. I've thrown a regular old Champ that flew, as far as I could tell, just like my regular old Stars. I'm thinking either a new "normal" Champ or a color glow for myself to see if they take longer to develop turn than those two old Stars I had.

Question on the sexybirds - say I want to pair a FB with a 167g 12x FAF that I throw on OS trick shots. I'm thinking a less beefy FB would be nice, probably still max weight for wind fighting as I will be throwing it FH and BH, whereas the lighter FB will be more for overhand stuff mostly.

What plastic should I look for if I'm looking for a less OS firebird that still eats the wind? I have heard that non-tour series color glow flies similarly; maybe a basic star FB would be similar?

I actually really like the 150 class Champion firebirds for this. The a 156g one I have has a minimal dome so it's not FAF but not domey either. The plastic is super grippy and has some flex to it. Not as much as a star or sexton so it still remains rigid in the hand. It is pretty straight for a firebird and flies similarly to my sextons. I get a bit more distance on OH and FH throws because it's considerably lighter.

I have a beat 167 champ 12x with a slight dome, from the same run as the FAFs. I pair that with Sexton. They are similar in many ways. The 167 has had much of its fade beat out of it. The Sexton has plenty of fade left. But in many ways the 167 is the more OS of the two. The color glow plastic is much easier to get up to speed. Last Star I had was more OS than the Sexton too.

I have a beat 167 champ 12x with a slight dome, from the same run as the FAFs. I pair that with Sexton. They are similar in many ways. The 167 has had much of its fade beat out of it. The Sexton has plenty of fade left. But in many ways the 167 is the more OS of the two. The color glow plastic is much easier to get up to speed. Last Star I had was more OS than the Sexton too.

Thanks for the reply. Wasn't there some shop recently that had non-sexton color glow FBs that were essentially the same run? But less sought after? I think maybe it was CCDG

Thanks for the reply. Wasn't there some shop recently that had non-sexton color glow FBs that were essentially the same run? But less sought after? I think maybe it was CCDG

Yeah CCDG has some with their new stamp on it for about 5 or 6 bucks cheaper than a Sexton. Disc Golf United has some color glows as well, but I think all of them are Alex Geisinger tour series discs. So he would be paying the same amount as he would for a Sexton.

Personally I don't mind spending a little extra to support a player and get a cool looking disc out of it. But going to cheaper route and just grabbing one from Central Coast is definitely a good option. I'm sure there are other stores out there that have color glow firebirds as well. It would just take some searching to find them.

Just did some more quick looking and Sun King and Supreme Flight both have some color glows. Whether they are the newest runs I don't know.

Anybody know how the 2018 runs stability is compared to a '15 Sexton or better yet an 11x Klimo firebird? I heard that last years run was pretty strait so I held off in hopes this year would be closer to that classic FB I'm looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought I read a few times on this forum that they are similar to last year.

Anyone thrown all versions? I have some from all runs but only throw the 15.

2015-
2016-
2017-
Usdg-
2018-

???

Through first hand experience comparing all new discs, I have observed differences within 2015s, 2016s, and 2017s. Varying from champ firebird over-stability to a fresh SPD depending on what release they're from within the year.

I think all of these color glow runs, and there are a couple a year, fall in a distribution around Star Firebird over-stability. Some are closer to champs OS rating of 4, others a 3, which will fly quite different than 4, but with most runs at ~3.5 OS. Most are slight variations of the same flavor, bound to be a useful disc in most bags.

Assigning one year to be more OS than another is like saying McBeth Destroyers are more OS than 3 line Destroyers. There's more than one type of both!

these fresh 2018s are awesome BH throwers. already kicked beat 2015s out of the bag. really nice glide, and will act as a traditional OS firebird in a tailwind. For FH, see ya later puddle top thunderbirds. this run is primo for the mold minimalist.

the flat/puddle top 2016s & 2017s are still the most OS.

Latest posts