• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Need a bag that makes sense for me

SMcVicker91

I'm a casual player of ~4 years off/on who is starting to take improvement seriously and attending local leagues and practicing every day I can. I'm going to spend ~$125 and need to buy discs and understand their purpose(s). Right now I have no clue what I'm doing and just hope for the best for the most part since my bag is primarily discs that I've found.

I'm just now at a point where I can really feel myself improving, mainly because I have given up on driving improvement (which ironically has been improving now). 90% of my practice time is now putting, and I love it because I have improved so much in just a month. I push-putt and my main problem is a consistent release but when I'm on I am a pretty damn good putter and will only miss high or low inside the circle.

I do like to stick with Innova for the most part due to the fact that they are the most inexpensive and I would like quantity over quality and I understand their ratings (Then again if you think differently let me know, that's why I'm here asking :) )

Anyways here's the required stuff:

Years playing/experience: 4 years off and on
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: right-handed
Throwing Style: RHBH 80%/RHFH 20% (More inconsistent with RHFH but I really just started learning how to somewhat properly throw this style)
Golf Distance (avg/max*) for putter/mid/driver: Drivers: If the goal posts on a soccer field are accurate I usually max out at 300ft but only get there occasionally. Max at maybe 250-275 with my midrange (Fuse). I don't throw my putters except for short upshots where I need the overstability that my Fuse lacks.

I'm a 23yr old male, 6'3", 167lbs. Think of a ****ty Will Schusterick and that's me.

Bag:

Drivers (weight/plastic/model/(condition)/use):
*Only listing for RHBH since FH is still new and very inconsistent for me
175 DX Beast - Disc I found, very beat and flippy
167 FX Wraith - Another one I found, quite beat but is my go-to S-curve distance driver when I throw it on a hyzer
171 Champ Mamba - Oldest disc I haven't lost, it goes right consistently. Thrown flat it always fades way right. If I throw a slight hyzer it flips slightly, hold that line for a long time, then finishes left at the very end.
169 GL Havoc - Disc I found, this one goes fast and straight (slightly flippy) then hyzers out at the end
??? OL Havoc - Disc I found, super overstable and not sure it belongs in my bag
149 OL Diamond - Generally finishes left but sometimes flips on me. Not very consistent for me.

Mids:
175g GL Fuse - My go-to disc for just about anything that isn't a drive / putt. Flips consistently even when thrown on a slight hyzer.

Putters:
2x 175 KC Aviar - I only putt with them. I think I should switch putters though because it has never become super comfortable in my hand and I checked out a buddy's PA4 and it just fit my hand like a glove

First thing I need to know is about the putter. The main thing that leads me to miss putts is never having a truly comfortable feel with the KC Aviars in my hand consistently. As soon as I grabbed my friends PA4 I instantly felt I could make any putt with a consistent release (and IIRC it did not have the bead). Should I switch to the PA4 or are one of the other PA discs a better choice? I know nothing about Prodigy tbh.

Secondly, I think the biggest hole in my bag is a stable mid-range. Someone recommended a Champ Roc3 would compliment my Fuse perfectly.

Last, drivers. I feel like at my level, Speed 6-8 drivers would be best for me and I really don't have that in my bag. Should I just go for a bunch of 6-8 DX drivers with maybe a few star/champions thrown in?

Anyways, I appreciate any and all help guys. If you need any more info let me know.

-Stephen

Last edited:
If you like the feel of the PA4 and prefer quantity vs. quality... I highly suggest the Gateway Magic.

They're very similar discs and Magics are a dime a dozen from a lot of outlets. Also Gateway is renowned for their putter plastics.

Try a regular aviar. No bead.

Roc3 is to much disc for you likely. Try it in mcpro if you do. A mako/ atlas would be good for straight. And a dx roc will handle overstable just fine.

I use the innova pro shop. 10 F2's for around $90. Unless you buy some putters which will make it closer to $75

I'd recommend picking up a pro and a star version of a driver. Like a pro leopard and star leopard or a pro and star Valkyrie. The leopard would be really good for you.

P.s. I checked the pro shop for you. They have a lot of good options for you right now. And they have p&a aviars for $6 ($4.80 with discount!!)

First, on putters: that's something that is often very personal to a player's preferences. I myself prefer the Dynamic Discs Judge for its fit in my hand, the feel of the Classic Blend Judge for putting and the Lucid Judge for upshots, and the glide of the discs that helps me get into the chains from 25-35 feet out. The Warden is a "beadless Judge", has a very comfortable fit in my hand, but doesn't quite have the glide of the Judge.

Second, plastics: different plastics can make for different flight patterns in otherwise same mold and weights of discs. Champion plastic is generally more overstable than Star, which is more overstable than GStar, etc. DX tends to wear quickly, and it'll be a personal thing to how much you like your DX disc when it gets to where you want.

Some discs don't come in DX. My favorite disc, the Innova TL, is fantastic in Star plastic, beating in slowly over time and use. I'm also working a Champ TL, which will take forever to beat in but I use it when I want just a bit more stability than my Star TL. Won't find it in DX, though, and the pro TLs are only found in the Innova Proshop (and why pay exorbitant shipping costs for that?).

IMHO, you will find over time that there are some discs you are going to want in premium plastic, and others you'll continue to want DX (for me, the DX Cobra is a staple of my bag, but I gotta have my TLs in Star, etc.).

Next, midranges: The Mako3 is a very straight flying disc, tends to get just a bit "drifty" to the right (for RHBH) over time. I really like the Panther as well as the Cobra (150g lightweight Cobras are very understable, which is why I carry them). I do carry a Roc3 for hyzer and skip shots, as well.

Last, drivers: You've got a Beast; just under it is the Valkyrie, available in DX and just about every other plastic, was once the world record distance holder. I'd recommend trying a 160-class Valkyrie or Beast.

(Note: I'm like you: I'm 6'4" tall, was 137 lbs. when I was 18, was 175 lbs. at age 23 (thanks to the United States Army). Enjoy it while you can... when you get older...)

Stable midrange? Preference for Innova? I would recommend a 175-180g DX or KC Pro Roc. You can find them basically everywhere discs are sold, they are cheap, and they are used by pros and beginners alike for a good reason.

Thanks for the feedback guys I appreciate it and I'm really trying to get my bag right this time around.

So far I've decided on:

2x 300s PA4s

Echo Mako
DX Roc

Star Leopard
Pro Leopard
Pro Valkyrie (160-class)

Seems like a good start so far. I feel like I really need to get a Teebird and/or TL because everyone says they are awesome. Thing is they seem so similar, so should I stick with one or get both?

I feel like I should get a more overstable driver like a firebird/banshee for big hyzer shots (or a viper/whippit?).

Feel like I could add a few more. Any other suggestions? I think I'm going to remove most of my current discs except for the Fuse, Mamba, and Diamond... the rest are either too beat up or too high speed for me.

Current run star Teebird and your choice of any os utility driver (firebird or other) in champion plastic (personal preference, for stability and better skips, and I think you'd be in great shape. If you like the fuse, you can probably live without the mako though. I'd just get that DX roc and a roc3.

Current run star Teebird and your choice of any os utility driver (firebird or other) in champion plastic (personal preference, for stability and better skips, and I think you'd be in great shape. If you like the fuse, you can probably live without the mako though. I'd just get that DX roc and a roc3.

Get the DX roc first and if you like it, then get the roc3.

Gazelle, Gazelle, Gazelle. Get a couple! It will be the perfect complement to the Leo. It's a shame they only make them in DX, but they will wear into a beautiful control driver that is super versatile with a reliable finish to the left. As soon as you start seeing some HS turn, add a fresh one. At your power, you will be able to get them up to speed, and even overpower them a bit to make them fly the lines you want.

I also second the suggestion for a Champ firebird. The star ones are nice too if you want a touch more glide and grip. Weight in the 170s.

Any final recommendations/suggestions?

Blue = discs I will be buying
I buy all my discs between 170-175g unless noted

Putters:
KC Aviar (off the tee/short hyzer tunnel shot)
1x PA4 (putting, just getting one for now makes more sense)

Midranges:
GL Fuse (Understable/Anny lines)
Echo Star 180g Mako (Straight)
DX 180g Roc (Overstable)

Drivers:
Champ Mamba (Consistent hyzer flip with late fade)
OL Diamond (May leave it out, don't have a discernible use for it)
Pro Leopard (Understable fairway)
Star Leopard (in a second plastic per PWagonner's suggestion)
DX Gazelle (per banzai7; more stable Leopard)
Star Teebird (per everyone on Earth's suggestion)
Pro 165g Valkyrie (per SD86, seems like it will be my max D driver)
Champ 175g Firebird (Hyzer/Upwind)

My total is at $109.91, which is right on budget. Still willing to add or replace... I really want to try out a Mako. I had a KC Pro Roc back in the day and wasn't crazy about it, mainly just didn't feel that great in the hand.

Good call on the Mako. I threw one for a bit, but eventually replaced it with a Champ Mako3. It's just touch faster and a little more stable. It is easily my most used disc. Max Power is will hyzer flip or turn and go a long way (Sometimes I use it in place of a leopard or FD), Regular power straight with a slight fade, and powered down is an excellent approach disc.

I'm pretty sure Star Mako3 is available as well. F2 is the way to go!

If you didn't like the feel of a KC roc, then don't get a DX. They feel exactly the same. If you still want an overstable mid, Champ Gator or a Q Sentinel MF are great choices. They can take any wind.

If you're already going with a Star Teebird, you might think about the option of getting a DX Teebird instead of a Gazelle. If you want to try lots of new molds, go with a Gazelle. If you want to try to build a solid bag around a few central molds go with the DX TB.

If you didn't like the feel of a KC roc, then don't get a DX. They feel exactly the same. If you still want an overstable mid, Champ Gator or a Q Sentinel MF are great choices. They can take any wind.

If you're already going with a Star Teebird, you might think about the option of getting a DX Teebird instead of a Gazelle. If you want to try lots of new molds, go with a Gazelle. If you want to try to build a solid bag around a few central molds go with the DX TB.

Good call. I like both of those changes. I'll go with the Q Sentinel MF to diversify a bit and try something new.

Latest posts