• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Need a good understable Mid. Suggestions?

JonRoc

Bogey Member
I've got some extra money in my pocket so I'm filling all the holes in my bag for the year. I'm not a huge fan of mid-range discs since I only use them for 250-350ft holes. I currently only carry 2 midrange discs regularly: a beat DX Viper 175 and a Glo Buzzz 170. (occasionally I add a newer DX Viper 155 and a KC Pro Roc 12x 175). I am looking for an understable midrange disc to fill this spot out in my bag. The only 2 I've considered so far are the Champion Panther and DX Wolf.

Suggestions?

Westside Tursas, can hit just about everything. Its fairly new for me but throwing with the same power but changing the amount of hyzer on the release is just a beaut! light fading hyzer shots/straight hyzer flips/hyzer flips to a smooth anny finish, OR a Meteor if the Swedish thing isn't up your ally :thmbup:

You really want to ask us this question? :p

You're going to get many, many suggestions.

The one you will get most is "DON'T BUY THE WOLF!"

The Panther is a great disc. It will serve you well.

It also wouldn't be right if I didn't suggest an MVP disc, in which case I say you go with the Tangent.

I found the Panther to be not so understable, maybe I needed to hit more trees. I also didn't like the lack of plastic options.

I'm using a Cobra, but you have to beat it up before it loses that nice fade.

Proton Tangent seems to be the flavor of the day.

You really want to ask us this question? :p

You're going to get many, many suggestions.

The one you will get most is "DON'T BUY THE WOLF!"

The more the merrier, haha. I was already leaning towards not buying the wolf, the only upside to it is the price tag...but in the long run I want some premier plastic.

I'll pipe up a vote for the Tangent. I've only recently been working on my backhand and midranges, but so far I can say that the flight of a Tangent with a clean release can be a beautiful thing.

If you're gonna be banging trees, it's worth it to splurge on the premium plastic.

I've got some extra money in my pocket so I'm filling all the holes in my bag for the year. I'm not a huge fan of mid-range discs since I only use them for 250-350ft holes. I currently only carry 2 midrange discs regularly: a beat DX Viper 175 and a Glo Buzzz 170. (occasionally I add a newer DX Viper 155 and a KC Pro Roc 12x 175). I am looking for an understable midrange disc to fill this spot out in my bag. The only 2 I've considered so far are the Champion Panther and DX Wolf.

Suggestions?

It might just be me but most holes I come across are usually in the 250-375 range, which makes mids my favorite discs. I hate High speed drivers. To each their own tho.

My answer to your question tho: The Tursas is my new favorite disc, its already my hot new disc this season. I used to throw a meteor and liked it but have switched to a mostly Euro bag.

Meteor; it's the understable compliment to the Buzzz. The Panther and Wolf didn't do much for me.

Suggestions?

I have a Champion Stingray from about 2001 that's awesome for that niche. I use a control grip and power down a bit for slight turnover shots, or you can hyzer-flip it up for a bee-line straight shot.

I've heard the newer expensive plastic Stingrays aren't as good as the ones from my era. I've hit hundreds of trees with it and it still plays exactly like the day I bought it...

I posted a similar question recently....

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86342

I tried a bunch and settled on a Gateway Mystic in Sure Grip (DX) plastic. It's long (fast) with lots of glide and gently turns over. The rim is shallow and some people may not like that. It's been covering the duties admirable.

I also tried a Z Comet, Z Meteor, Gateway Element. Ultimately they didn't really click. They turned over very quickly and were very touchy. The Comet is great but needs to be thrown just right. Like most US discs, it's useless in a headwind.

Although I believe it's the wand, not the magician... I've seen people throw beautiful anhyzers with a Star Stingray once it breaks into it's sweet spot. I would say stick with ESP if you go Meteor. However, if you want to try a Z Meteor I got one for sale. 9/10, green, $17.

Number one: do not touch a wolf under any circumstances!
Number two: second the nominations for Tursas. It's a new disc, but it's quickly become one of my favorites

I've heard the newer expensive plastic Stingrays aren't as good as the ones from my era. I've hit hundreds of trees with it and it still plays exactly like the day I bought it...

The new(er) Star Stingrays are molded in a slightly softer Star material (but firmer than the Star Dart material), and yeah, they don't take kindly to too many tree hits. Mine warped permanently after about a year of use on heavily wooded courses. The new Champion Super Stingray so far has held up much better, although the flashing is a little annoying.

Also, I use the above-mentioned Super Stingray for that slot.