• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Need a good understable Mid. Suggestions?

after playing a round with my tangent I will never go back. made shots with confidence that would have normally been a stretch for me. the tangent is like a good wife, it does exactly what you tell it to

Definitely don't get the Wolf, get a Stingray.

It flies so much nicer than a Wolf, so much glide.

Having thrown both, I couldn't agree more with this. I got them both at about the same time (from the Marketplace here, ended up paying about $4 each), and the Stingray is still in my bag, but I'm not even sure where the Wolf is. AND if you get them used, you don't have to put so much effort into seasoning them - mine has a VERY nice right turn every time.

From my experience it goes like this:

Fuse if you are a Buzzz thrower and don't have perfect form
Comet if you are a Roc thrower and have smooth form
Meteor if you don't like foreign plastic
Wolf if you shop at Dick's Sporting Goods
Star Mako if you shop at Dick's and have extra money

EDIT: the Fuse and Comet are really more straight/finesse discs. they are easier to make understable. Many of the others are truly understable.

ABC discs flying squirrel is an amazing disc. Much like a champ stingray yet cheap and easy to find.

Flying Squirrel. Yes.

Understable out of the box. Two grades of premium plastic. Long for a midrange but powers down well, too. It is touchy, but aren't most truly understable discs? The Squirrel will hold a long sweeping hyser if you follow through on plane. Hyser-flips to straight and long turn overs from flat with height.

Gold line is my favorite. The platinum line plastic is slightly less understable, in my opinion, and consequently a bit more forgiving.

Can't believe I'm only the third person to mention the Flying Squirrel. Holds a turn when powered down to places most of the "popular" understable mids can't. Tons of glide and a blast to flip to flat for tight tunnels.

Buzzz SS - you already have the same exact disc with more stability.

I'm trying a MVP Tangent for this slot as well.

Want something longer? DGA Squall goes as far as a most fairway driver.

^^ if comets are understable for you, youre doing it wrong

Fuse, meteor, buzz ss, M4, dx stingray, star mako

Not necessarily.

A beat X Comet is a nice understable disc, but will require a good amount of control. Seasoned Comets are nice stable to understable discs. Fresh Comets are perfectly straight stable, but it doesn't take an X, especially a light one, to get to the point where it can fill the understable slot. So I think it can be a good suggestion.

I'm giving people the benefit of the doubt, under the assumption that most know what a turnover looks like, i.e. not an anny and not wobble induced.

Down to the Fuse, Tursas and Tangent. Maybe I will buy all three and see which I like best.

Not to mess you up after you've narrowed it down to 3, but I just recently got a Panther, wow. I don't know how I've played for as long as I have without one.

I love understable discs, among my favorites: Valk, Leopard, and Sidewinder. I could just be imagining it because the flight charts suggest this, but the Panther feels like a mini Leopard, which feels like a mini Valk. Even if it's just mental, that similarity really fits into my game.

But the Panther does everything I look for in an understable mid. I can throw it straight and it does just that, goes straight with very little fade. I can put it on a hyzer, and depending on my snap, it will either hold the hyzer or flip up flat, then fade back slightly at the end. I can throw a gentle anny and it will just hold and even turn a little. I can turn it. I can even flick it, so long as I don't put too much on it.

It is really touchy in any kind of headwind, and you can't throw it too hard, but that's pretty much the case with any understable mid.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I love the Panther.

Still no love for the Gateway Element. Mine kicked the Buzzz out of my bag about two years ago when I noticed it flew 30 feet past my Buzzz every time I threw it.

ESP Meteor, that's probably my favorite disc roght now. Put power on it and it will turn over and just glide forever, or throw it like a little girl and get a dead nuts straign 200-250 foot shot. Put it on a hyzer to get around big bends, it rolls halfway decent and has helped me learn how to throw forehands much better.

The Comet is a understable disc. Thrown flat they turn, flat and hard and they turn even more.

I disagree. But thats fine.
Fwiw, throwing a disc flat, and it turning isnt an indication of understability, imo. The majority of discs on the market, especially in the same speed class as a comet do the same thing (turn when thrown flat)

Latest posts