• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Need a tunnel disc

Animage

Double Eagle Member
Well, with the spring growth comes the trees and foliage.

Alot of holes here are finding me stumped on choices for discs. Almost everything I throw, I need to put some height into in order to push the distance.

I'm looking at about 10 feet off the ground I'm hitting branches. Anything out there I can be putting between 225-325 feet without worrying about height?

I've found some success with my z buzzz but I find to keep my shots lower, I'm releasing more of a hyzer and the buzzz is coming off my hand tilted up on the right. Alot of fade is coming off it as a result.

I know form correction is necessary on this, as I'm not used to keeping the disc down, however as I'm playing purely for fun, a disc that doesn't punish me so hard would be nice for these.

Im prefering to hope there's a fairway driver out there for it, as i'd like to get to some of the 300+ ft holes as well without much of an issue.

Any suggestions?

I use the TL for tunnel shots like that. Can fly pretty low, not much side to side movement, easy to aim, slides and skips a bit further than a midrange like a buzz.

I use the TL for tunnel shots like that. Can fly pretty low, not much side to side movement, easy to aim, slides and skips a bit further than a midrange like a buzz.

I have one, and its about a 250 ft disc for me. I feel as if most of the speed 7's might be just too fast for me still.

I'm guessing because I've never thrown one, but an Impact may be good. I'm sure someone will confirm.

It's a hybrid of mid/fairway and people say it flies straight with minimum power. Might work out well as you try to keep it low.

If you like the Z Buzzz but want longer, try a Z Stalker. It is supposedly the Buzzz's bigger brother. Not quite the distance of a Teebird.

I'd suggest Just keep to the buzzz for now. You're still new enough to the game that discing up or changing discs won't have very dramatic results. Although I myself prefer a stalker for those lines as it is a beefier buzzz. How far are you throwing buzzzes, fairway drivers, and distance drivers? That may help.

Leopard!!! When it gets broken in, and I'm sure it will, it'll be just what you're looking for. Can be flip-hyzered low and catch a nice 3-5 ft. rise and hold dead nuts str8.

Knowing how far you toss you're drivers and mids and/or fairway drivers would help though.

I'd suggest Just keep to the buzzz for now. You're still new enough to the game that discing up or changing discs won't have very dramatic results. Although I myself prefer a stalker for those lines as it is a beefier buzzz. How far are you throwing buzzzes, fairway drivers, and distance drivers? That may help.

hitting 225 consistent with mid ranges, when a bit more open 275.

fairways are at 300 if I'm open and having fun. it's 302 to a hole here and i've come close to hitting the basket twice now with a leopard and a fh banshee.

I'm working on extending my midrange ability to the 300 line, however keeping shots lower is the new goal for them.

Then I suggest a Stalker as you already are getting to know the buzzz, as it won't make things too confusing for your muscle memory. Plus the stalker is my new favorite non-short tunnel shot disc.

You might check out a Champ Panther, a flat one. Straight line, lots of glide, and good for sliding approaches. The max weights are a little too stable unless you plan on driving over 250' with them.

Also, I recently put a DX Coyote in the bag because it feels great in my hand and, honestly, I thought the stamp was cool. This thing can really hold a straight line and anhyzers without crashing. This one doesn't slide though. When it touches the ground it parks itself.

I received and Black ESP Stalker when I signed up for the PDGA.

Don't really care for it, but in my experience with it, the Stalker is a tad bit more flippier than my leopard was. So Stalker would be a good choice as well. Like others say, it does resemble a high powered buzz.

Might check out the Status, too. Found of those and it's pretty much a beefier roc that's more understable.

The Buzzz is the best disc in the game for that shot...any of the slower fairway drivers are going to be the same or worse at keeping low.

Mids:
Comet
Buzzz
hyzer-flipped Cobra
QMS
Coyote
E Element

Fairways:
Champ/Star Leo
beat DX TB
Z Stalker
Gazelle
Cheetah

My best suggestion for you is going to be the Gazelle although any of these should work.
Beat the Gazelle a little and it should be perfect for the shot you described. When it is new it might be a little beefier than you'd prefer.

My second recommendation is the Comet. Surprise surprise. The Comet's natural habitat is in the woods and it loves tunnels. The only catch is that it will need a little more height to go the distance.

Suggest working with the buzzz more, or Z Stalker

I personally throw Roc's for most tunnel or tight holes. Best all around disc made. You can also try throwing something a little understable with a little hyzer and let it flip up and just glide to the hole if its only 300 foot.

I play with a lot of tunnel shots and for straight tunnels, I like my Core; which is probably in line with the Buzzz info here. If I need a little further, a Leopard is nice; TL was good as well but I didnt need it with my Leopard love.

I dont know if I would go much faster than that. I guess it depends on how tight of a tunnel but those are some good control discs; which you need outside of Rip-n-pray

Eh, I'll just place an order for a Gold Line Core, a Champ Leopard, and keep my z buzzz and flx buzzz on the practice rotation.

I really need to stop focusing on a disc to do the work.

The Mako is good up to about 275'.
After that, I throw another.

Mids:
Comet
Buzzz
hyzer-flipped Cobra
QMS
Coyote
E Element

Fairways:
Champ/Star Leo
beat DX TB
Z Stalker
Gazelle
Cheetah

My best suggestion for you is going to be the Gazelle although any of these should work.
Beat the Gazelle a little and it should be perfect for the shot you described. When it is new it might be a little beefier than you'd prefer.

My second recommendation is the Comet. Surprise surprise. The Comet's natural habitat is in the woods and it loves tunnels. The only catch is that it will need a little more height to go the distance.

My votes in the fairway catagory. A beat DX Gazelle powers down well, IMO. A worn DX Teebird will loose it's fade and will be good on the longer end.

The key to the low, straight shot is getting a good bit of spin so that the disc will maintain it's line by gliding. On a low line, it will not have much room to fade.

Last edited:
For me it's either an ESP Impact or Champ Leopard. Although my new Sirius Aurora may fit in there sometime soon. Whatever I throw in the woods I look for perminum plastic to take the tree hits.

Right out of the box I would say a Mako, it takes some practice to get it out there but workes great then you figure it out or a O roc.