• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Need a Wasp that's not a Wasp

RHINESEL

Double Eagle Member
So, I decided to get an ESP Wasp for my overstable mid role. Great, got one either on Ebay or Discaroo. Disc arrived at my door, I opened the envelope, held it....

and hated it at first grasp. I can't get over the bead. I can't find a comfortable way to hold it and can't imagine throwing it. I keep picking up the disc hoping I'll "convince" myself that I like it but I just can't.

Buzzz feels great but that bead on the Wasp is just ruining it for me.

So... what disc can I replace this new unthrown ESP Wasp with? Looking at the chart there really isn't much that's right in that area except a Millennium Sentinel but I know nothing about them.

Thoughts?

star gator? sentinels are should be close to a wasp from what i hear but ive never held one so i couldnt tell ya about the feel. but the star gator doesnt have a bead so you may like it for your overstable mid

Beads add stability so besides a gator or drone it will be a hard find. Torque, roc, and wasp all have the bead.

I have a Drone incoming but I don't think the two compare. Isn't a Gator more Drone like than Wasp like?

Anyone have a pic of a Sentinel?

actually a gator is almost exactly like a wasp stability wise,just a hair less glide.
a drone has a touch more glide and LSS than a wasp so id say either of those 2 are a close to the wasp .
sentinal is a touch more LSS but slightly slower than a wasp also.

Yes. That's what I was getting at. Even the in betweens of the buzzz and wasp have beads. (neb, storm, mrv).
What weigt/plastic buzzz do you toss? You could add stability that route but it still won't have a hook

Booter's facts are correct but I could never do with a drone what I can do with a wasp.(and vise versa)

So, I decided to get an ESP Wasp for my overstable mid role. Great, got one either on Ebay or Discaroo. Disc arrived at my door, I opened the envelope, held it....

and hated it at first grasp. I can't get over the bead. I can't find a comfortable way to hold it and can't imagine throwing it. I keep picking up the disc hoping I'll "convince" myself that I like it but I just can't.

Buzzz feels great but that bead on the Wasp is just ruining it for me.

So... what disc can I replace this new unthrown ESP Wasp with? Looking at the chart there really isn't much that's right in that area except a Millennium Sentinel but I know nothing about them.

Thoughts?

i'd say put it away in a closet and forget about it until the summer.

I cant tell you how many times i've fallen in love with a disc for the 2nd, 3rd or 4th time after mothballing it.

I can tell you that for a long time i hated the roc, and then recently i picked one up and i was ok with it. And sometimes, the disc that feels amazingly perfect (Star Cro) isnt as useful as you would like.

Put it away and try it again in a few months... You might be pleasantly surprised to find you own the disc you've been trying to find.

Booter's facts are correct but I could never do with a drone what I can do with a wasp.(and vise versa)

agreed,each disc has its own share of duties to each person. just like an eagle and tb. those are your best choices aside from a wasp though man so good luck. when i had my star gator i loved it.if you go with the gator in star though. make sure you find one thats beadless. according to my buddy that used to work for millenium,he said the newer runs of gators have beads. i dont know why they put them out now but its innova for ya.

i'd say put it away in a closet and forget about it until the summer.

I cant tell you how many times i've fallen in love with a disc for the 2nd, 3rd or 4th time after mothballing it.

I can tell you that for a long time i hated the roc, and then recently i picked one up and i was ok with it. And sometimes, the disc that feels amazingly perfect (Star Cro) isnt as useful as you would like.

Put it away and try it again in a few months... You might be pleasantly surprised to find you own the disc you've been trying to find.

Agreed!

My best Midrange is a pearly Yellow Z Wasp that flew a little funky when I first got it but after spending a few months in the junk bin it became my "01' Roc". Smoothest flying Wasp after I put it back in the bag and it has stayed that way for 2 years.

agreed,each disc has its own share of duties to each person. just like an eagle and tb. those are your best choices aside from a wasp though man so good luck. when i had my star gator i loved it.if you go with the gator in star though. make sure you find one thats beadless. according to my buddy that used to work for millenium,he said the newer runs of gators have beads. i dont know why they put them out now but its innova for ya.

1st the Gator had beads, then they took them off for the Star, and now they put it back on.

Anyway I would have to say that the Sentinel IMO is the best disc out of the bunch to try but it also has a bead although it isn't as large as a Wasp. Great flyer though and I used the Q-MS and Q-Sentinel as my main mids for a long time and loved them.

Z Nebula is also coming out this Spring which is fairly close and on the straighter side if anything.

Looks like this may be a case of driving to the store to fondle some plastic.

I wish I could just put it away and hopefully it will click, unfortunately I can't even throw it. It feels so uncomfortable in my hand it actually hurts.

I've tried.

The bead makes the rim too deep for my hand to get comfortable. Any grip that allows me to feel good allows the disc to be too loose in my grasp.

Yes. That's what I was getting at. Even the in betweens of the buzzz and wasp have beads. (neb, storm, mrv).

Incorrect, Nebs are beadless and absolutely tits. Rhinesel, I'd wait for the Z Nebs to come out and try one of those.

Sentinels have a bead, it feels similar to a Cobra bottom, so rule that one out if you haven't already. Do you really need an overstable mid? A new Z Buzzz should be stable enough for headwinds with a bit of hyzer.

Sentinels have a bead, it feels similar to a Cobra bottom, so rule that one out if you haven't already. Do you really need an overstable mid? A new Z Buzzz should be stable enough for headwinds with a bit of hyzer.

Really? Do everything with a Buzzz? You can only shape so many lines with one disc.

FWIW Sentinel feels way different even with the bead than a Wasp or Roc and like you said is shallower like a Cobra. A Blaze would be a good choice if you are really committed to having a beadless mid. It is more of a fairway driver but fills the slot nicely.

I'll have to check it out in person I guess. I'm not totally against beads, just the one on the Wasp so far... :\

Latest posts