• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Need help building a bag

Gmtata01

Eagle Member
I am a RHBH player. Throw around 300 with consistency with all of my drivers. I can hit around 200 with my mid and putter.

Putter- DX aviar putt and approach
Mid-g star makeo3
Fairway-champ leopard
Driver- champ mamba, champ valk, and DD firebird.

Please recommend anything that would help

So this is just my opinion of course; but for a beginner, you have plenty of discs. I'd even suggest you drop the Mamba for awhile, but it doesn't really matter all that much.

What I've found is that operator error accounts for more variance in throws that what disc is being thrown, so find discs that feel good to you and go where you point them and just work with them until you feel your game is fairly solid. Assuming you get to that point, then see what sorts of shots you don't have a disc for and add those.

It's easy to fall into the trap of thinking you need a disc to do a particular trick, but it's probably not true. A basic putter / mid / driver lineup will do pretty much anything once you learn how they work. In the long run, learning to do less with more will help you build a stronger game. A stronger game will result in better scores than a stronger bag.

Yeah, you already have a pretty good set up going already. I'd swap the Mamba for a slower understable disc if rollers and turnovers are what you're going for (sidewinder or roadrunner). Other than that, maybe add a TeeBird or TL to get a good stable and straight fairway in there. I simplified my bag in order to cure some serious OAT I had developed from using discs that were too big for me. And it's not like those big discs were adding too much distance anyway. Sacrificing accuracy on all of my throws was simply not worth the extra 15 feet or so I was "actually" getting. I'm currently not throwing anything faster than a speed 9 and that's my roller. Otherwise, my go to driver is a Stalker which is a Speed 8 control fairway. I've literally shaved strokes off my game by discing down and I actually keep my discs in the fairway. Everybody wants to throw big, but I think I and many others have forgotten that we are playing "golf".

Please recommend anything that would help

Depends on what kind of help you want. Do you want to improve your overall game and form?
If so, you don't need any drivers, what you have is fine. I would suggest getting a few more putters and mids. If you're sticking with Innova and you like the Aviar, then get a few more, for mids, try a DX Roc, Shark or Cobra, heck, get them all! I can't stress enough how much a Comet has helped my game.

For fairways, a DX Teebird and an Eagle are great, the more worn they get, the further they fly. Baseline plastic is your friend when your new, you get to see how discs change over time and when you learn to hyzer-flip them they will go further than your current drivers.

Oh, and practice, practice with a purpose.

I was thinking about getting a new putter (Mcpro) and possibly swapping the firebird and mamba for a champ thunderbird. Lastly adding a ROC 3 (need help with plastic and mold choice)

Beginner

Started about three weeks ago. Driver was a wraith. Was doing fine but went down to a sidewinder and today I got a latitude 64 river. Shaved 6 strokes off 10 holes today and I am impressed with the results. I agree that you should start with the low speed discs at first. Started mainly rhfh unless mid and putter. Today I practiced a lot rhbh with mid and had good results. I throw a buzz for mid and it's pretty straight. Think I pulled the wraith two times today. Head wind. All in all I wish I had started off slow with low speed discs and get mechanics down. I see it a lot online and seems the way to go.