• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Need help finding a pure putter.

wolfmandragon

* Ace Member *
I am new to the sport and when I went to buy my first putter at Dick's sporting goods, I bought the Star Avair P&A. I have issues throwing this disc, no doubt it is the thrower, not the disc, but I am looking for something else.

I can throw the disc at medium high speed backhand fine, I just loose control at low speed or any forehand speed(I throw forehand mostly, except close putting. I have started throwing backhand spike hyzers putts with the intention of grounding it to the right of the basket for a simple drop in.

The hype of the Axiom Envy has convinced me to buy it for my approach disc, as right now I am using an Element-X midrange for this purpose. What I am looking for is a pure putter for close in shots, also something that I can learn to push putt with....and I HATE any disc with a big bead(probably gonna trade my roc3 for this reason).

So far what I have seen on videos and looking at stats, these look interesting.

X-Link firm Ridge.
Gateway Magic.
Discraft Magnet.
X-Link firm V.P.

I am not wedded to any of these discs, perhaps even the Envy alone would be enough. Any thoughts will be gladly entertained.

Thanks

p.s. I am new, so I placed this here. If I need to move it the the Disc thread I will.

The Ridge and VP are much better as driving putters than as pure putting putters. If you want to try Vibram, look into the Sole. The Magnet and Magic are also really good options.

In reality, choosing a putter comes down to what feels right for you. If you can get your hands on some before you actually buy, it may help you narrow down your options.

Oh, I passed up the Sole as the description said it had more glide. I was thinking that it was the glide that was messing up my shots with the Star Avair P&A.

As for having access to putters to test, I don't have much. Just a x-out slick black magic, and I have tried the soft Avair P&A, which putted better than my Star plastic for sure.

It's in the title! PURE. :D

Bradharris is correct though. It's going to come down to feel. Happy hunting though - the putter search, if it ever ends, is something else. :)

The Pure may fit. The Anode is a straighter flier(with no bead) than a beaded Ion. Also, the Voodoo is beadless, but has more stability than the Magic.

As I have never liked base plastic discs, I suggest Anode. Durable, straight, good for putting and drives, sticks to chains and LOOKS GREAT :D

Welcome, good luck on the putter, All the disc covered so far are nice. I myself started with a Soft Challanger, followed by the Ridge, Summit and VP. I then went to Glow Aviars before I settled on Ions and Anodes, Soft ones. Yup, MVP, that's where I am right now. I am sure that will change at some point.

I did use a Opto Pure as a driver, for a short time, my son stole the disc when he saw it fly. Nice disc. I think of that disc as a driver with a big fat rim. This one was heavy. Never used it as a putter. Might take it back now that i am thinking about it.

Try some Wizards. Fantastic putting, approach, and driving putters. It's nice to be able to use one mold for all those duties.

edit: Just saw the no big bead thing. Try a Voodoo.

I'd also throw a Lat Spike into the mix...really underrated disc, and great for approaches.

I know a lot of people say that a putter should be stiff, but I actually like the feel of the Omega SuperSoft putter by Millennium for circle length putts. It has a good soft grip and, at least for me doesn't have any problems staying in the basket as long as you hit the middle of the chains.

Last edited:
I started out with a star Aviar too. I have switched to an omega ss though. I just like the softer feel. Premium plastic is better for driving IMO.

Just to throw my two cents in :D

I started with an Aviar but once I got my Challenger that is all I use at this point. That is of course until I can get my hands on that Anode that I want so badly ;)

Personally, I would choose any 2 speed putter over the Pure for putting and inside 100 feet. I would also choose the Pure for 100-200 feet over any 2 speed putter unless the headwind is 15mph plus.

From 15 feet I could push putt with a driver. I think your star Aviar would be perfect for this.

I realize when I started that when I didn't like certain discs and quickly moved on to another solution. The Leopard is a great example. I hated it. One year later I'm starting to see the love. Lucky I never gave up on that mold due to the popularity on this forum.

I do think you should get an opto Pure heavy maybe 176 grams. Between your Aviar and a Pure you might be done shopping for putters.

IMO you are at the beginning of the inevitable putter quest. Enjoy the ride, and learn to use the marketplace. Good luck.

From 15 feet I could push putt with a driver. I think your star Aviar would be perfect for this........... Between your Aviar and a Pure you might be done shopping for putters.

I re-watched some tutorials and went out and practiced on lunch break. I think I am getting the hang of the Star Aviar P&A for push putting. It does seem balanced for this much more than a spin putt. Thanks!

Latest posts