• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Need help picking a long distance driver

Give the bliz boss a shot but don't be surprised if it doesn't help. I tried a bliz destroyer and either the disc or may form was so bad it did nothing but flipped and crashed.

So I should have bought a lower speed heavier disc to maximize distance?

Sort of true. Bizzard boss isnt going to fly well in general. Might add few extra feet to some throws but get off line much easier. If disc golf courses were wide open fields it might not matter....

The high speed and light weight is pretty pointless unless you are simon lizotte going for world records. Many players can throw a slower heavier disc on a line consistently @350'+... Putters and mids for that matter can fly as far. I see no reason any adult needs a disc below 150g which some of the blizzard type discs are 130g. The molds just dont fly true to designs at all.

So as an average player who truly wants to increase D learning how to throw is the key not any disc model. Tons of them are capable of flying far. Just stay away from super OS fast stuff... Aka boss :) and blizzard just adds to the crap factor

A great neutral higher speed driver (speed 11), that always seems to get overlooked is a Krait. I'd suggest around 160-170ish. You can get it in champion, star, or gstar. Holds up decently in a headwind, holds a decent Ani line, and it's a good fh disc (at least for me). It's not a warp speed driver, but if you're still throwing the viper 300 I bet when your form lines out, you can get the Krait around 400'. But there's sooooooo many choices out there. And several places to order online if you're limited locally. Either way, welcome back to the coolest sport there is.

A great neutral higher speed driver (speed 11), that always seems to get overlooked is a Krait. I'd suggest around 160-170ish. You can get it in champion, star, or gstar. Holds up decently in a headwind, holds a decent Ani line, and it's a good fh disc (at least for me). It's not a warp speed driver, but if you're still throwing the viper 300 I bet when your form lines out, you can get the Krait around 400'. But there's sooooooo many choices out there. And several places to order online if you're limited locally. Either way, welcome back to the coolest sport there is.

^ ^ ^ This. The Krait is really a great disc. Mine is in the 150s. Paul McBeth says the Krait is very underrated and he's right.

I DO see now where sd86 said 150's. Which is typically blizzard. Not sure if they make it that light in other plastics. So I see where Snap is coming from.

I DO see now where sd86 said 150's. Which is typically blizzard. Not sure if they make it that light in other plastics. So I see where Snap is coming from.

Yes, mine is a Blizzard. It flies very straight for me, then divebombs to the ground. You may indeed want a heavier weight and/or different plastic, especially if you throw with more power.

You know, I have Destroyers, Waves, an Insanity, Wraiths, a Wrath, and a plethora of other speed 10 and above discs. What do I normally find myself grabbing. A Thunderbird, Valkyrie, Crave, or Relay. Unless it is a pretty open hole, I am grabbing a lower speed disc and concentrating on placement over distance. Truth be told, if you can't get the disc up to speed, it's not performing the way it is supposed to. I love bombing a destroyer or even my freedom, but in trust my thunderbird and Valkyries a Hell of a lot more in the long run.

Absolutely right. But nobody was suggesting Blizzard. I suggested Star, Champ, or Gstar.
Have the flight numbers on the Krait always been -1/3? Mine easily flew like that, but when I bought it, I sure thought it was not be so dang overstable.

Edited to add - the chart on my wall I got from the back of a disc must be a misprint. All the pics I can find show -1/2. Strange.

Last edited:
Have the flight numbers on the Krait always been -1/3? Mine easily flew like that, but when I bought it, I sure thought it was not be so dang overstable.

Edited to add - the chart on my wall I got from the back of a disc must be a misprint. All the pics I can find show -1/2. Strange.

The Krait is 11,5,-1,2 and to my knowledge has never been 3 on the fade. The Wraith is 11,5,-1,3.

So I should have bought a lower speed heavier disc to maximize distance?

Throw the Blizzard Boss and enjoy. If it works out for you, then great. However, you should know that Blizzard plastic molds up very inconsistently. It can be great if you get one that works for you, but the next 5 you buy will probably fly completely differently. That's one reason most people on here don't recommend it. Given how light it is, it's going to be pretty inconsistent in the wind as well.

There's also a tendency for newer players (obviously I'm not talking about you) to start out trying to throw really fast discs that they don't have the arm for (like Bosses) because those discs are "fast." However, if you can't get the disc up to speed, it will never fly right for you. Because they act very overstable at lower speeds, high speed drivers will also mask flaws in your form and release, so most people on here recommend that you don't throw them until you're able to throw lower speed discs pretty far with clean form (for example, if you can throw a Teebird 350+ feet or Valkyrie 375+ feet, then you're probably ready to move up to a Tern or Destroyer).

Throw the Blizzard Boss and enjoy. If it works out for you, then great. However, you should know that Blizzard plastic molds up very inconsistently. It can be great if you get one that works for you, but the next 5 you buy will probably fly completely differently. That's one reason most people on here don't recommend it. Given how light it is, it's going to be pretty inconsistent in the wind as well.

There's also a tendency for newer players (obviously I'm not talking about you) to start out trying to throw really fast discs that they don't have the arm for (like Bosses) because those discs are "fast." However, if you can't get the disc up to speed, it will never fly right for you. Because they act very overstable at lower speeds, high speed drivers will also mask flaws in your form and release, so most people on here recommend that you don't throw them until you're able to throw lower speed discs pretty far with clean form (for example, if you can throw a Teebird 350+ feet or Valkyrie 375+ feet, then you're probably ready to move up to a Tern or Destroyer).

Agree with all of this. I can get my Blizzard Boss as far as I can throw any disc, and it pretty much follows the flight patterns when I do, but I can throw the Wave and Orbital just as far with less "crank-down" effort.

One thing: you're right about the Teebird and Valkyrie, but without naming a number IMHO one does not have throw them as far as you suggest to be ready to go up to faster drivers. Anyone throwing a Valk 375 ft. has MORE than enough power for at least an 11 or 12 speed disc, again IMHO.

^ ^ ^ This. The Krait is really a great disc. Mine is in the 150s. Paul McBeth says the Krait is very underrated and he's right.

I totally agree about the Krait.

It's a disc that I wish was produced in more plastics and more available.

To me it's a more-predictable wraith.

I totally agree about the Krait.

It's a disc that I wish was produced in more plastics and more available.

To me it's a more-predictable wraith.

I also like the Krait's flight path vis-a-vis the Wraith. BTW, what plastic would you like it in? It comes in Champion and GStar (one or both being McBeth sig discs), and I think some special run Stars are out there somewhere. Maybe letters or emails from us to Innova might get a run of something made for us?

One thing: you're right about the Teebird and Valkyrie, but without naming a number IMHO one does not have throw them as far as you suggest to be ready to go up to faster drivers. Anyone throwing a Valk 375 ft. has MORE than enough power for at least an 11 or 12 speed disc, again IMHO.

Oh yeah you're probably right; I wasn't trying to set any hard and fast rules about when you should move up in disc speed or exactly which discs you should use. Mainly I was trying to illustrate the point that you shouldn't use faster and/or more OS discs to try to gain more distance when all you're really doing is masking form flaws. Using slower and/or less stable discs until you can throw them and get good, predictable distance will give you the sort of form you need to really get the maximum value out of the faster discs. I'm pretty sure we agree there. :)