• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Need help please critique

You need to plant your foot before opening the hips.

^ This. Try a really short x-step. Your x-step and plant are really long and throwing your balance around and make it hard to engage the hips. You are also pushing off the rear heel, don't let the rear heel touch the ground.

I haven't had that much time to practice(uncle died), but the plant foot before the hip movement seemed to explain some things. Like my midrange I stand flat footed and can feel the weight shift. That's cause I'm already on my plant foot. I think I'm getting it now I just find myself reverting back to my old throw when I get tired or when I play a round and have to really focus on the lines.

I'll try and get a video up tonight. My uncle died last weekend, I hurt my leg last week, and I built 6 baskets this weekend so I have a full 9 basket(18 hole course) at the house. The little break in the middle helped wash some of the bad habits out I think. We shall see.

So I shredded my elbow and got very busy at work. I've been playing a little bit but I don't want to reinjure anything cause it effects the job. I need to learn correct form and I thought I would start this thread up again to help. I appreciate all the help before and going back and rereading this has given me some ideas.

Couple questions. Does anyone get a pain in the upper back between the shoulder blades? I think it's from early shoulder rotation but I'm not quite sure.

Also, on the diagram on dgr with the string arms talking about keeping the shoulder immobile, how do you keep the arm straight out from the shoulder and still reach back?

Again thanks for everything and I'll try and get videos up this week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAGQqrh9Wbc

The winds blowing about 30 mph straight at me so I wasn't really worried about where the plastic was going. Well except that I threw almost straight right a third of the time.

I think it's better but my weight still might not be forward enough and I'm still pulling before the hit on a couple of the shots.

I really feel like the last shot was my best. I have lost a lot of snap on my throws but I'm throwing almost as far as I was before with half the effort. I don't think I have it yet but I feel like its better than when I went on injured reserve.

And the hat backwards was purely wind related and had nothing to do with support of romo.

Grip question: I am using the power grip but my hand is to small for my pinkie to fit comfortably. Is that a problem or should I try and use a different grip?

You are tipping your spine over with your rear leg extended, instead of loading the lower spine into the rear leg and squatting more. Your balance is going to change to be more centered instead of leaning back and forth. Check your grip, try a 2 finger and then modify.

I think I see where you are saying. As I'm planting my pivot foot my upper body is leaning forward when it should be leaning slightly backwards with my hips in front. Ill try that wall drill tonight and make it translate. Thanks!

More of a curious question than anything cause I dont think I'm doing it right. Is there anyway that a lean forward into the hit and then falling back during the hit could cause more arm speed during the throw? I know it's not proper technique, but could it work for massive d?

Hey, I gotta lot of weight to use. Lol. I thought it wasn't possible to strong arm it over 300 ft. Because it feels like my hips are initiating the turn but maybe my shoulders are just turning faster than my hips and passing them?

I can personally confirm that it's possible to strong arm it over 300 ft.

I've been trying to change my form as well (started in the fall). Over the last two months I had to shut it down, due to living on the planet Hoth.

This process is definitely frustrating and I feel like I have been actually getting worse. I think (hope) that this is something that just takes a long time to get.

You can get there bro. Us strong armers gotta stick together and support. I think it would be easier to learn good form rather than fix bad form though. I wish I would of seen this sight earlier.

For sure

But I'm way past that point. I should be able to post videos again soon if the weather clears up. My new goal is just to make any kind of improvement in my form over the next year of playing.

More of a curious question than anything cause I dont think I'm doing it right. Is there anyway that a lean forward into the hit and then falling back during the hit could cause more arm speed during the throw? I know it's not proper technique, but could it work for massive d?
Possibly if your timing is messed up, but it's not proper mechanics. Sounds like you are describing a classic reverse pivot.

Alright, just something I was wondering about. Also, I think I've asked this before but, do you throw a shorter midrange shot (200ft ish) with the same form with less power or do you mostly use something like the right peck drill? Or is it more whatever is comfortable like putting?

I typically limit the backswing/reachback, and club/disc down.

http://youtu.be/UTt8DvbYp9k

Well I got the weight more centered I think. I also tried the 2 finger grip and that was way more comfortable. I threw an eagle, 2 tbirds, beat surge ss,a 150 class avenger ss, and a 150 valk. They all ended up about 350' and the birds, eagle, valk were left and the surge/a$$ were right.

Even with the new grip I had a couple go nose up. Gotta get the wrist bent a little more. What else I got going on sw22? Am I still not getting it? And thanks again! Seriously, if I meet you there will be a bro hug.

Oh yeah! I felt the discs weight and I felt it rip out of my fingers for the first time. I think I read that somewhere on here. Hopefully that's a good thing.