• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Need side arm tips

Mattk40104

I'm getting better with my side arm. I'm currently using a tee devil and nuke ss
But they seem to turn over a little too much. I can throw about 350' on average. Looking for something that won't turn over as much but still get the distance. Any thoughts?

are you sure you are turning it over, and not throwing with you wrist tilted and therefore the nose of the disc tilted? i can see the SS turning over but the teedevil with 350 foot of power should resist turning over.
i agree try a nuke or destroyer
personally i use teebirds or monsters

Do you throw your forehand in an S-curve or a straight hyzer curve? (Granted the hyzer-anhyzer thing always confuses me)

If I want to throw a shot that will go straight and then fade to the right at the end I'll use a Leopard for mid distance, a Beast for long distance, or an X-Clone for very little fade.

For an s-curve, I'll use an overstable disc, like a Boss or Katana, and release with the disc angled up ( like a / ) and let it weave back around. This usually requires less actual arm speed as you let the disc do the work for you, but it's a lot tougher to get right.

Hope that helps.

The best thing you can do is try a slower disc. Go into a field with a Buzzz and work on getting it to fly cleanly, don't even worry about how far it goes. As you clean up your form and get better results with your mids, that success will result in greater distance and control with your drivers.

I have never had good success with Nuke's of any kind when throwing FH. My big drive FH disc is a boss. Typically has a little turn to it, but always comes out. If you want a meathook, look into a champ max. I can usually throw these with quite a bit of anny and it will go straight for awhile, and finish hard. Great head wind disc.

But seriously, try a boss.

I have been using Champ Bosses for longer drives and Chap Firebirds for not as long stuff. Best of luck turning over a Firebird. :thmbup:

My Bosses rip and I too release it at an / angle and get incredible S out of it. My release is kinda like I'm snapping a towel though that can be wrong and I'm totally open to suggestions on my release. I do also keep my elbow pretty well tucked.

Hope this helps!

Do you throw your forehand in an S-curve or a straight hyzer curve? (Granted the hyzer-anhyzer thing always confuses me)

If I want to throw a shot that will go straight and then fade to the right at the end I'll use a Leopard for mid distance, a Beast for long distance, or an X-Clone for very little fade.

For an s-curve, I'll use an overstable disc, like a Boss or Katana, and release with the disc angled up ( like a / ) and let it weave back around. This usually requires less actual arm speed as you let the disc do the work for you, but it's a lot tougher to get right.

Hope that helps.

Did you honestly just say "overstable disc, like a boss or KATANA?"... I have thrown a katana that seemed to be a little more stable than the numbers suggest, I have NEVER thrown one that I would call overstable.

I really agree with that too ^^^ I almost always use my buzzz sidearm for 2nd shots that finish right or teeshots that are straight or finish right around the 250ft area. But I can get my Destroyer to 350+ft no problem because I have the technique down.

Check your technique. I was having an issue "Turning over FH shots" but in reality all i was doing was rolling my wrist at release. Check out Avery Jenkins "Deep in the Game" Sidearm. It really gave me a few good tips about keeping my palm facing the sky as/after i released the disc. Realyl helped flatten out my throws and added distance and control.

Did you honestly just say "overstable disc, like a boss or KATANA?"... I have thrown a katana that seemed to be a little more stable than the numbers suggest, I have NEVER thrown one that I would call overstable.

^^^^ I agree with this too. Katanas are a bit too understable for my sidearm. I picked up a Pro and unfortunately it doesn't have a place in my bag.

I have several early run champion and star that are hooks, more overstable than a destroyer. I haven't thrown the newer star and champ katanas though but the old ones flew like a totally different mold than the pro katanas.

I would not, in general, put those two disc together.

My famous Katana is a FLAT Star and it was over stable when I got it and it was my go to sidearm until it got beat now it flys like around -2 turn. And fade is still at a 3.

Check your technique. I was having an issue "Turning over FH shots" but in reality all i was doing was rolling my wrist at release. Check out Avery Jenkins "Deep in the Game" Sidearm. It really gave me a few good tips about keeping my palm facing the sky as/after i released the disc. Realyl helped flatten out my throws and added distance and control.

Thanks a lot! My sidearm game is fairly new but shows a world of ripping potential. :clap:

Well I did find mine out in a field that had recently been mowed, and it was very evidently sun bleached and weathered :p So that might be why, but my katana is almost more overstable than my boss. Honest

Well I did find mine out in a field that had recently been mowed, and it was very evidently sun bleached and weathered :p So that might be why, but my katana is almost more overstable than my boss. Honest

Throw what works man... if it works for you, who cares about anything else

I don't turn my Firebird or Predator over, and I certainly don't turn my Trident over. Released with a bit of anhyzer they start with a smidge of turn and then flatten out. Except for the Trident. I could release that with extreme OAT and it would just fly straighter for longer than expected. If I want a nice, long turnover drive forehand I whip out the beat 11x Star Wraith that I won't know how to replace (which is light yellow/cream and dying to bury itself in a pile of leaves).

like wake said your prob rolling your wrist over. try flicking a fairway driver and if it comes out of you hand wobbling like a soggy waffle then you got some oat in you throw.

straight 300' slight fade at end, teerex or monster. no question. S curve, wraith or beast. Once you get everything under control move up to bosses, nukes, etx

Latest posts