• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Need side arm tips

straight 300' slight fade at end, teerex or monster. no question. S curve, wraith or beast. Once you get everything under control move up to bosses, nukes, etx

When I learned sidearms I learned on Champ Bosses. Now I I get incredible S's out of them. I also sidearm Champ Firebirds and they are as straight as an arrow w/ slight fade at the end.

Don't try to throw hard.
Think of it as skipping a rock across the water.
Focus on flicking your wrist and generating spin. (Spin = distance)
When starting out FH, ditch the run up and throw from a stand still.
A run up is just more of an opportunity to screw up your arm angle, release angle, and timing.

If you have a strong arm and are turning over a lot of discs I'd recommend a gl halo. Just remember keep it flat and it's all elbow and snap of the finger

I like to flick 170ish esp predators they are wicked overstable but once you start to beat it in a little bit they go straight then have that reliable fade at the end of the flight.

Don't try to throw hard.
Think of it as skipping a rock across the water.
Focus on flicking your wrist and generating spin. (Spin = distance)
When starting out FH, ditch the run up and throw from a stand still.
A run up is just more of an opportunity to screw up your arm angle, release angle, and timing.

I wish I had read this before I learned it the hard way! Also I throw an Xcal for my big shots.

The videos that Cw posted are excellent, especially the one about isolating spin from power. It is for this reason that I like Big Jerm's Discraft video. His forehand is one of the best in the world. He (briefly) addresses the fact that almost everyone throws too hard when they are trying to learn to forehand, generating far too much disc speed for their whip/spin/snap. His advice is the opposite from most posters in this thread: get an understable disc that you don't need to throw nearly as hard, and concentrate instead on the mechanics of the throw. If you can emulate him, your distance will remain and your control will go way up, though you're definitely in for some field work before it clicks (if you're like me).
Early in the thread, someone recommended that you go to a field and throw Buzzzes. This is excellent advice. Focus on the spin and release angle until they stop turning over. Pushing your putters out over 200ft is another great way to work on your snap, though this can be a serious pain if you use light/understable putters.

Here is the video of Big Jerm: Big Jerm's Discraft Vid

And here's one of him competing. His forehand is so effortless (first forehand from him is around the 14:00 mark, but this is a fun video to watch in its entirety): Disc Golf Monthly 98- Final 9 Round at the 21st Annual Seneca Soiree

Good luck!

Thread on forehands:
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27383

Also check out Mike C's vids on forehands. Sometimes videos are just much better than reading.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cXTXUNZvSE

This is also from Mike's channel, a very good ultimate vid that's been posted around:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mkHDFwzwaE

Ooh! Thanks for that 1st link especially.
Read this one looking for tips on my FH, read your link and found out my grip may have been all wrong for my BH.
1st knuckle of index finger (the knuckle in row of punching knuckles) over the rim?
Damn! I always had mine under the rim.

Sorry, back to FH.
I throw RHBH & LHFH.
I use LHFH anny flicks a lot on short approaches since my hyzer is too unpredictable for short shots. Love my Anodes for the anny flicks.

Latest posts