• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Need some advice on a new midrange mold

HyzerBomb7

Hey all,

Been playing disc golf off and on over the last 7 years, but am really starting to get back into it. That being said, a lot of the discs I bought over the 7 years have stayed in my bag. Well, my run of luck came to an end yesterday when I lost my favorite mid range, an old perfectly seasoned gold line Lat64 Pain. Knowing that they pulled this mold from production hurt me even more when I saw it flying into the bushy jungle at one of my home parks.

Now that ive decompressed I have started looking at some replacement molds. Ive started looking at Emac Truths, Westside Bards, Roc's (of course), and the Kastaplast Kaxe but wanted to come to my fellowing disc'ers for advice on molds that work for them that I can look in to. I currently have a Claymore in the bag for my turnover mid and an Anchor for my super overstable/headwind mid. The pain I had was so perfectly worn it would fly dead straight for 80% of its flight and just slightly dive left at the end. It was a reliable 280'-300' flyer.

I look forward to your inputs!

Youre going to get 100 different recommendations.

Try out that emac truth.

Another honorable mention is the buzz.

I would just ask to throw your friends discs that fit that slot and find something that you like.

I agree with elmexdela in that you will probably get lots of different options suggested, and that trying your friends discs is a good way to go.

Also, you mentioned the Kastaplast Kaxe. I love that disc, and certainly endorse it fully. But wanted to add that a Kaxe Z might behave more like your beat in Pain because it is just a bit less overstable than the Kaxe.

Good luck.

What sort of feel/flight do you like?

I love the Bard, with its small bead, good glide and predictable finish it's exactly what I like in a mid.

If you like a bit more turn and don't mind a large bead, the Roc is great.

A lot of people who like a faster mid, have said really good things about the new RDG Gila.

If you like stability, but don't like a bead, I've actually had a lot of success with the Yikun Yao also.

Good luck, and I hope you find one you love.

Ton of choices, and you'll get a ton of recommendations. My $0.02 contribution to the literature are the Titanium Buzzz, Glow Z Buzzz, Panther, and Mako3 (which is straight to understable).

But just about all of them are good; it'll come down to the feel and plastic that you like best.

The flight you describe sounds like a fresh KC or DX Roc to me. The Emac Truth also flies a very similar line but with completely different hand feel. Lots of other choices out there that are also good: Vector, M2, Ti Buzzz, Wasp, etc.

There are SO many good straight-ish midranges on the market that you can really choose by feel/preference now. It's tougher to get a mid that is slow turning/late turn as that is more thrower dependent (nose down angle/velocity/form cleanliness). To fit between the Anchor and Claymore though, I think that the Compass is a good fit. Although the one Anchor I threw was far less overstable than I expected...more like a stable/OS Roc, and in that case the Compass was close to it. You say your Anchor is OS though, so the Compass could fit along with it.

The flight you describe sounds like a fresh KC or DX Roc to me. The Emac Truth also flies a very similar line but with completely different hand feel. Lots of other choices out there that are also good: Vector, M2, Ti Buzzz, Wasp, etc.

I agree, it's been a while since I threw one.. but I recall that the Pain reminded me of a Roc at the time.

I have a Pain and put it away because it wasn't as overstable as advertised. My anchors certainly are and the bard feels like the anchor.
EMac Truths developed way more turn quicker than I would have wanted. I have two claymores, one that flys like a seasoned EMac the other is too floppy.

What you describe? I would second slowplastics suggestion of a Compass. I only have thrown one Lucid but it is amazing. Dead straight and a bit of fade. It's been a workhorse and is starting to lose a bit of the fade but still no high speed turn. It should also feel similiar to the pain in your hand. I would expect it to be longer though as well.

I agree, it's been a while since I threw one.. but I recall that the Pain reminded me of a Roc at the time.

the flight is similar but the feel is quite different since the pain doesn't have a bead.

A beadless, stable to slightly overstable midrange - sounds like a buzzz, emac truth, or verdict might work depending on the degree of stability that is sought after.

Personally, I bag MD3s for the straight to fade slot. However, the Truth is a phenomenal disc! The EMacs are their perfected version of the mold. If that's #1 in your list to try, you surely won't be disappointed. As many have said, you'll get a thousand recommendations for internet opinions. However, the real popular choices line up to Roc3, MD3, EMac Truth, Mace (a beat in Pain) and the classic - the Buzzz.

See if you can try out some friend's mids, find a local league and feel up some cardmate's plastic or a local shop where you can get your hands on different molds, find what feels good in your hand and is rated to be approximately the flight you're looking for. Don't rely on we internet fools for too much wisdom. :D

Mako3 is pretty straight out of the box and in the jolly rancher Champ plastic it will stay like that for a while. For all-around mid I like roc3's. You can crush on them and they go pretty straight and have a healthy fade, very predictable. Mako3 is more of a touch disc. I bag both, it's a good ying and yang pair.

If you like Innova go Mako3 for straight to understable and pair it with ROC3s in MF for most overstable, champion then Mcpro or Dx. 4 discs to cover your mid range slot should do.

the flight is similar but the feel is quite different since the pain doesn't have a bead..

Well, it doesn't have much of one. There's something on them that I wouldn't necessarily call a bead but it's not completely beadless either. It has like a faux bead, just enough break at the end to not be flat but you can barely see it. Other than that, the Pain has extremely similar contours to a Roc with the Roc being slightly more blunt with a slightly narrower wing.

----------------------------------

As a former Pain thrower I concur with the Compass recommendations. Slow, wide diameter mid that likes to go straight on tight lines and not much else with a rounded rim more similar to a Pain/Roc than say Buzzz type mids like Truths. You might also like a Vector (flat for the straightest immediately) or even an Alias. The flat C-MD2's were really good for this flight if you can find one. I don't know about the Bard but a max weight VIP Warship will give you this until it breaks in. Pains are OOPed but they shouldn't be too hard to find. Good luck.

Thank you all so much for the suggestions so far. Definitely going to try and feel out a compass & emac truth. I threw a Roc when I was first starting out, but didnt have the backhand technique/refined skill to throw it effectively so I bailed on that one quick. Might have to look back into one. Lucky for me I have a great Disc store close to me.

To answer the question about the feel I like. I like the grippy plastics (i.e gold line, tournament, Star & Pro) and the pain after all those years just felt perfect. I will say that it flew similarly to my claymore, but where the claymore stays straight or gives me a gently turn right, the pain would start back to the left.

Thanks for your continued help all!

Seconding the compass (I like it in opto which is "champ") and vector suggestions. The vector is roc-esque so try the compass first.

#1, you go back there with gloves and some hedgers and chop your way back to victory!

#2 - if you want a really nice and straight mid - Try an Axiom Neutron Alias. Straightest easiest to throw mid I've used.

Latest posts